Cadets design team sets stage for 2012

DCP's ego has gotten that big has it? He doesn't send it to the thousands of fans and alumni to continue their engagement with the cadets in the off-season? To establish a continued relationship and good-will with the Cadets? No, he clearly makes press releases just so a few dozen people can chew it up publicly online... right...

(where's that lighten up francis pic -- oh well)

While I agree that his primary motives are as you describe, it's not unreasonable to assume he enjoys reading DCP's frenzies. After all he *does* post on some of them. A second reason to look here is that among all the giblets and bones there are occasionally some really interesting posts here. Look at the amount of "free" research on the Pearl Harbor concept music that DCP produced in just a day or two. Who's to say that one of those pieces wouldn't work (or lead to other music that would work)?

Wait wait wait, wasn't Jeffery supposed to be Damien ?( or however it's spelled )

Little Jeffery did turn out to be a Devil after all. tongue.gif

• Like 2

While I agree that his primary motives are as you describe, it's not unreasonable to assume he enjoys reading DCP's frenzies. After all he *does* post on some of them. A second reason to look here is that among all the giblets and bones there are occasionally some really interesting posts here. Look at the amount of "free" research on the Pearl Harbor concept music that DCP produced in just a day or two. Who's to say that one of those pieces wouldn't work (or lead to other music that would work)?

yeah im sure he looks to us here for insperation..lol

• Like 1

and that's to say the BD was??? The lack of virutosity and demand in that show was appalling. I expected more from the Blue Devils. A 1/4 of the show members were moving the mirrors. Sure, the mirrors were a great effect but I thought the activity was about virtuosity and excellence within demand. Take Crown for instance...the environmental demands of that show were outrageous and most of their show was very well put together. IMO a little too cerebral but still they had a great hornline and guard and performed remarkably well in the music ensemble category given the circumstances. (-Danzon No. 2)

I think you took my statement a little too literal. I was just implying that in terms of design the Cadets are pretty consistent in great design. Sure every corps has years that aren't as good as others but Toy Souldier was a good show, just not a winner or the best out there last year. I didn't say blue devils should have won or anything like that.

Why is it that when Cavies or Crown or Phantom or whoever that has a less than thrilling show, nobody ever brings that up years later to make fun of it? Nobody says I can't believe the same team that came up with "My Kind of Town" came up with "Machine" or I can't believe the people who came up with "Spartacus" came up with the "Red Violin"? I'm not trying to knock down those years but it's appropiate to hate on George and the Cadets but anyone else we don't ever really go there.

• Like 3

I stated this in another post, having just read that article, that it will be interesting to see what kind of angle they take in terms of storyline. We may see them continue with the bi-tonal uniform look; but in this case will they really try to recreate war scenes, or try to flesh out the underlying patriotic themes of wartime and peace? Also, looks as though the music will NOT come from the movie, which was Hans Zimmer I think, but the music may come from composers such as David Holsinger. Of course, this coming December 7, 2011 will be the 70th anniversary of that day. Their last patriotic show was 10 years ago (from this coming summer).

It will be very interesting to see how they put this together. I don't think anything is in stone yet.

Agreed...but the key will be whether they can parley the theme into a "big" production and avoid actors (i.e. recent PR) and looking too similar to Cadets 2011. In short, conflict is good, but if it doesn't make it passed the first 10 rows, it will be "also ran".

I think you took my statement a little too literal. I was just implying that in terms of design the Cadets are pretty consistent in great design. Sure every corps has years that aren't as good as others but Toy Souldier was a good show, just not a winner or the best out there last year. I didn't say blue devils should have won or anything like that.

Why is it that when Cavies or Crown or Phantom or whoever that has a less than thrilling show, nobody ever brings that up years later to make fun of it? Nobody says I can't believe the same team that came up with "My Kind of Town" came up with "Machine" or I can't believe the people who came up with "Spartacus" came up with the "Red Violin"? I'm not trying to knock down those years but it's appropiate to hate on George and the Cadets but anyone else we don't ever really go there.

Right on. Adam sees the truth through the DCP warp.

HH

• Like 3

I don't doubt the interest that people have with DCP. George is just as curious of what others have to say on DCP as all of us are. But should we really say that

"...Hop sends these design dribbles *just* for DCPs consumption..."
That seems a little presumptuous.

btw nice to see you again corpsband! :D

Edited by charlie1223

Little Jeffery did turn out to be a Devil after all. tongue.gif

Yeah, I'm surprised that storyline flew under the radar ... that he marched his age out year with the 2011 Blue Devils to win a gold medal after marching in the Cadets for 3 season ...

OUCH!

• Like 2