Key Poulan to Glassmen

thank you very much I appreciate that, I feel the same. As far as techs , personally techs are very under rated I think they are the true ones who make the magic happen.

As far as designers...now I'm only asking........has there been anyone who has come through the program that could take on such a job..................... Maybe in years past IF there was someone, they should have put them in a position to mentor a designer so they could develop if management didnt want to take that risk.

What I can tell you is the fact that I have lost count on how many Alum head band depts. over the US....I agree techs are under rated....However I have not heard of a tech that moved up in the Glassmen Org....If there is a Glassmen Alum tech that has moved up in the ranks in the Glassmen Please let me know....

What I can tell you is the fact that I have lost count on how many Alum head band depts. over the US....I agree techs are under rated....However I have not heard of a tech that moved up in the Glassmen Org....If there is a Glassmen Alum tech that has moved up in the ranks in the Glassmen Please let me know....

i really dont know if a tech has moved up. If there has been good potential people overlooked for some reason who would have a vested interest in the corps thats to bad. I know sometimes in the pursuit of reaching a goal, sometimes people are overlooked or mamagement forgest to look in their own back yard. I do know of some talented people who have wanted to help there and for some reason were also by passed. It seems there are a few there who just like to keep themselves in their positions. Sometimes that happens with people in charge. They surround themselves with others who dont threaten their won realativity.. Not saying Glassmen have that but I have seen that in several places including DCI and even within the judging community.

i really dont know if a tech has moved up. If there has been good potential people overlooked for some reason who would have a vested interest in the corps thats to bad. I know sometimes in the pursuit of reaching a goal, sometimes people are overlooked or mamagement forgest to look in their own back yard. I do know of some talented people who have wanted to help there and for some reason were also by passed. It seems there are a few there who just like to keep themselves in their positions. Sometimes that happens with people in charge. They surround themselves with others who dont threaten their won realativity.. Not saying Glassmen have that but I have seen that in several places including DCI and even within the judging community.

#### brother I find myself in agreement with you lol lol.....IMHO if Glassmen Alumni were on staff in a high position our 50th ann. show would have been different.....Everyone seen how much money Corps have made do to their Ann. from their Alum... and how much respect they showed to their past...Cavs, Cadets, and the Scouts come to mind....That did not happen with the Glassmen with their 50th ann show....I blame Sal and Brian for this disrespect to our history.....Not even a nod to our past and it showed in the donations from the Alumni.....Mr Poulan is a good addition to the Glassmen...However he is not an Alum...What connection does he have with the Glassmen Family? There is so much untapped talent within the Glassmen Family it is unreal....I agree one tends to surround themselves with yes men....And in the Glassmen case that has failed....

• Like 1

#### brother I find myself in agreement with you lol lol.....IMHO if Glassmen Alumni were on staff in a high position our 50th ann. show would have been different.....Everyone seen how much money Corps have made do to their Ann. from their Alum... and how much respect they showed to their past...Cavs, Cadets, and the Scouts come to mind....That did not happen with the Glassmen with their 50th ann show....I blame Sal and Brian for this disrespect to our history.....Not even a nod to our past and it showed in the donations from the Alumni.....Mr Poulan is a good addition to the Glassmen...However he is not an Alum...What connection does he have with the Glassmen Family? There is so much untapped talent within the Glassmen Family it is unreal....I agree one tends to surround themselves with yes men....And in the Glassmen case that has failed....

Alumni can be a very important part and can serve a corps well with good intentions. Ive seen that backfire also BUT I think a respect for the past is the only way to move forward. As I said IF there were people passed by for ANY position thats to bad especially if there was potential in a perspective staff member who has the heart for the corps and understands its history..That always does help. Past members should be front and center to educate new members so new people feel a sense of a bigger picture and a strong past and being a part of that.

<The only way an instructor will have a vested interest in the Glassmen is if they are Alumni...What is so wrong in giving an Glassmen Alum a chance? I am so over the fact that Brian has not made an honest attempt in hiring Glassmen Alumni.....>

I would think Brian has been tasked with fielding the best drum corps he can within the constraints imposed upon him by so many people NOT giving the corps money. If he can find a Key Poulan - a proven talent that gives the Glassmen the best odds of performing a musical and entertaining show in 2012, then he's smart to do so.

Risk taking when times are tough is a terrible idea, usually. One could say, 'oh go ahead...what have you got to lose?' But if Brian hires Jane Doe to arrange the 2012 show because she marched in 1969 and has been a band director for 30 years and had 20 band compositions for 8th grade bands published and performed all over the world...and the show stinks and they finish in 16th place...all you alumni will scream at Brian that you're so over the bad decisions leading to poor placement.

As for your assertion that the only way an instructor will 'have a vested interest' is if they marched there...balderdash. Instructors usually do the best job they can because people are going to say, 'Oh, Joe Schmoe teched that line...wow!'...or they'll say 'Oh, Joe Schmoe teched that line...YIKES!' Success breeds success...and failure usually means you work less...if at all..in the future. Reputation is one's vested interest.

One does not have to know Brian to see that his record of success is unmatched by all but the best 6 or 7 corps in the country during his tenure.

I think if alumni remember that the corps is about today...with respect and honor for yesterday, they'll step up...and stop wanting to be the tail wagging the dog.

• Like 2

The only way an instructor will have a vested interest in the Glassmen is if they are Alumni...

That's a totally erroneous, absurd, and demeaning statement. One need not be an alumni to see the value in helping a longstanding organization fulfill its mission of providing a high-quality educational experience to young people.

• Like 2

Whereas I agree that mistakes have been made with Glassmen in terms of staff and programming, especially in recent years, the past is now the past, and you can only move forward. That said, I believe hiring Key Poulan should result in a substantially better musical book for them, thus the members will likely have a much better vehicle

to drive...........

GB

• Like 1

Whereas I agree that mistakes have been made with Glassmen in terms of staff and programming, especially in recent years, the past is now the past, and you can only move forward. That said, I believe hiring Key Poulan should result in a substantially better musical book for them, thus the members will likely have a much better vehicle

to drive...........

GB

What I'd really like dad is to borrow the vehicle... Key? :thumbup: