Officially announced. Cavaliers have a new visual designer.

The brass are NOT staged well at SCV. They are not set up to SOUND GOOD. Some, not all, but some of the problems that the brass have been having in their performance is because of the staging. Everything from environmental concerns with brass/percussion timing to folks who have the melody not being in the forefront to loud moments not being close enough to instruments scattered throughout with no rhyme or reason (3 lead trumpets right next to each other and then no lead trumpets around for yards etc.) to people with the most difficult parts having the largest step sizes. Trust me. Its a problem. There's more to drill writing than cool moves. The best brass lines out there have drill writers that set them up for success. I know that some drill writers don't prioritize this that much but those drill writers eventually fall by the wayside because the brass and percussion staff start to raise hell. Just saying that I'm calling it. Not this year but in the future the move is going to happen.

I agree with this 100%. I would say though that Gaines put the horns in plenty of tough spots to sounds great as well though.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/michaelgainesyt#p/a/u/2/URIFWNs08T8

Just come across this video of Michael Gaines from 2003, he seems an out and out nice guy and he will be missed this summer, He is for me the best Visual arranger of all time.

• Like 1

I was happier when this was a rumor! He wrote some amazing drill.

As far as him not going to another corps because it would be "taking a step back", I don't see how we haven't learned that this is true. For example, Bluecoats brass has been fantastic over the past few years, but the brass staff left to go work at SCV's hornline. I wouldn't count it out.

But I do highly doubt he's going to SCV. Especially because he said that he's "taking a break from drum corps". Unless he's lying to us!

I was happier when this was a rumor! He wrote some amazing drill.

As far as him not going to another corps because it would be "taking a step back", I don't see how we haven't learned that this is true. For example, Bluecoats brass has been fantastic over the past few years, but the brass staff left to go work at SCV's hornline. I wouldn't count it out.

But I do highly doubt he's going to SCV. Especially because he said that he's "taking a break from drum corps". Unless he's lying to us!

lie? wow thats a stong word...lol....just kiddin....frankly him or anyome else switching teams dont owe anyone an explanation...lol....i know a new concept...lmao