Officially announced. Cavaliers have a new visual designer.

My little sister works for Lockeed Martin in Sunnyvale and lives in San Fran. She takes the 101 I think. But she drives like Danica Patrick.

Uh oh, here come all the Danica haters!

Garry in Vegas

I'm going to miss seeing his work with the Cavaliers. For so long now, his drill defined the Cavaliers, more than the music or the visual presentation.

I'll be curious to see what Mr. Hinshaw can do, now that he's got the keys to the car. I'm guessing we'll still have no trouble recognizing "Cavalier" drill.

Mike

So, Richard Hinshaw must look like Michael Gaines in order for it to be The Cavaliers?

No, but the Cavaliers should retain the things that make them look like the Cavaliers while also moving forward and integrating what Mr. Hinshaw does into the corps. ...and this has nothing to do with any one individual.

When the drill at the Cavaliers was written by Brubaker, then others, then Gaines, it still looked like the Cavaliers during each step.

The real question is will their marching style change? That would be difficult to witness for me personally.

they can clamor for him all they want, but he's not going. Him saying he's taking a year off really means "leave me alone. I want some ME time for a long time"

But about the SCV thing. Why would they try and hire michael gaines when their drill is almost similar to that of the cavaliers?

scv has a lot more things to worry about than getting them a new drill arranger. Their drill is great. Just dirty.

I can see him back in DCI come 2013 but I can't see SCV changing their drill staff anytime soon. Visually their 2010/2011 shows were superb.

The brass are NOT staged well at SCV. They are not set up to SOUND GOOD. Some, not all, but some of the problems that the brass have been having in their performance is because of the staging. Everything from environmental concerns with brass/percussion timing to folks who have the melody not being in the forefront to loud moments not being close enough to instruments scattered throughout with no rhyme or reason (3 lead trumpets right next to each other and then no lead trumpets around for yards etc.) to people with the most difficult parts having the largest step sizes. Trust me. Its a problem. There's more to drill writing than cool moves. The best brass lines out there have drill writers that set them up for success. I know that some drill writers don't prioritize this that much but those drill writers eventually fall by the wayside because the brass and percussion staff start to raise hell. Just saying that I'm calling it. Not this year but in the future the move is going to happen.

• Like 3

There is more to life than drum corps. I'm sure he has no intention on coming back to work for anybody.

BTW, i will need all of your paypal accounts to all those who doubted me.

The man's gotta eat! I guess he could stay busy designing for marching band and WGI. Either way, I wish him the best.

I've read very little about Mr. Hinshaw's visual design style, what he will bring to Cavaliers, how Cavalier's visual look might be wildly different (or not at all), etc. Instead we revert to goofy rumors.

:thumbdown:

His website has drill samples, will give you a bit of an idea

Interesting comparison would be the Academy’s and Cavaliers 2009 shows as they had the same sort of theme

I realize they are writing for different corps and drill levels but…

Was a Gaines fan, sure we’ll see him back soon, somewhere

I welcome new blood and ideas to DCI for both Cavies and Academy

I'm going to miss seeing his work with the Cavaliers. For so long now, his drill defined the Cavaliers, more than the music or the visual presentation.

I'll be curious to see what Mr. Hinshaw can do, now that he's got the keys to the car. I'm guessing we'll still have no trouble recognizing "Cavalier" drill.

Mike

Arguably his drill defined drum corps! Gaines' visual design changed the face of drum corps a decade ago, and you can see his influence in nearly every other visual design through out World and Open class.

I'm going to be real interested to see Hinshaw's designs for Cavaliers. I'm not super familiar with BOA, so I can't even begin to stipulate how different/similar they might look with his designs. But change isn't a bad thing, and I'm definitely excited to see what Cavaliers look like in 2012!

• Like 2

The brass are NOT staged well at SCV. They are not set up to SOUND GOOD. Some, not all, but some of the problems that the brass have been having in their performance is because of the staging. Everything from environmental concerns with brass/percussion timing to folks who have the melody not being in the forefront to loud moments not being close enough to instruments scattered throughout with no rhyme or reason (3 lead trumpets right next to each other and then no lead trumpets around for yards etc.) to people with the most difficult parts having the largest step sizes. Trust me. Its a problem. There's more to drill writing than cool moves. The best brass lines out there have drill writers that set them up for success. I know that some drill writers don't prioritize this that much but those drill writers eventually fall by the wayside because the brass and percussion staff start to raise hell. Just saying that I'm calling it. Not this year but in the future the move is going to happen.

This. Weber's drill is beautiful - but the hornline had horrendous staging in 2010 and 2011. They were in no way set up for success. A shame really. On the other hand, you have Tim Fairbanks, whose drill (imo) is not that pretty and quite bland, but who knows how to stage each section of the corps properly so they can execute at the highest level.

• Like 2

This. Weber's drill is beautiful - but the hornline had horrendous staging in 2010 and 2011. They were in no way set up for success. A shame really. On the other hand, you have Tim Fairbanks, whose drill (imo) is not that pretty and quite bland, but who knows how to stage each section of the corps properly so they can execute at the highest level.

Yeah, it totally takes a visual designing genius to pull off great staging with beautiful effective drill complete with 'wow' moments. I think that's why Gaines taking time away from drum corps will leave a void, and perhaps once we see what visual design is without his input, we'll stop taking him for granted: as I think many have done of the years, failing to recognize how great Gaines' visual design has been the last few years because it didn't include some sort of 'visual redefining' jaw-droppingly cool move. VERY few visual designers working right now are able to combine great effect with perfect staging, and in 2012 DCI fields will be without one who does.

I can definitely agree with you on this. Michael Gaines is a genius when it comes to that... He's still not going though

• Like 2