Canada in DCI

I could use the gig. And don't forget Mexican marimbas are a big deal down there; long ones with four or five performers playing at once. So, the pit thing is partially solved.

mexmarimba.jpg

I enjoyed the photo of the Peruvian pit members. gave me a good laugh.... My all time favorite was Bawkers post a couple of years ago concerning the "music of the Alaska pipeline workers"

Blue,

Wasn't that called Tubular Bells in Heavy Clothing?

KD

I really don't see the passport thing as the real problem going into either country. Although there may be something to be said for perfect criminal records. I have known of Americans being refused entry into Canada for DUIs.

Had a family member refused entery for that reason pre-9/11 but he was with a group going hunting. We never found out if he would have been allowed in without the shootin' irons. At least on a better note, he has been "dry" for 20 years now. :worthy:

And in case I confused anyone else with my "not originating in Canada" post. I was thinking if the security between the US and Canada was relaxed then a bad guy might try to get into North America via Canada instead of the US. Then enter the US using the relaxed security. So the originating country would not be Canada. No slam intented on Canadian security when entering their country, just a mental exercise on why the US-Canadian border should be tight. And probably only thought of it because I work for the US Navy as a civilian (30+ years) and get anti-terrorism training every year. We just get pounded on looking at all ways that security can be breached. Weird thing is catch myself checking out public places when we go on vacation. When I tell my wife some of the things I notice I get this look --> :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Regarding the passport card, it is just a supplement to a standard passport. So it would cost $110US for the passport PLUS $30US for the card.

Equipment trucks were always required to have a manifest of their contents, but screening crossing in both directions has been increased since 9/11. Unloading an entire truck would be a huge undertaking for a corps whose driving staff set off any kind of concern by border police on either side.

Drum corps travels in Canada were always a tour highlight, and it's unfortunate that the number of corps and shows has declined so severely.

Garry in Vegas

1972 Velvet Knights

Edmonton Klondike Days Drum and Bugle Corps Extravaganza Champions

Regarding the passport card, it is just a supplement to a standard passport. So it would cost $110US for the passport PLUS $30US for the card.

Equipment trucks were always required to have a manifest of their contents, but screening crossing in both directions has been increased since 9/11. Unloading an entire truck would be a huge undertaking for a corps whose driving staff set off any kind of concern by border police on either side.

Drum corps travels in Canada were always a tour highlight, and it's unfortunate that the number of corps and shows has declined so severely.

Garry in Vegas

1972 Velvet Knights

Edmonton Klondike Days Drum and Bugle Corps Extravaganza Champions

Ask Tom Peashey how much he likes bringing equipment trucks over the boarder. In the late 90's Patriots had their truck pulled over and it was out of commission for a few days. He was NOT a happy camper - all of us Canadians could feel the heat of his wrath (which warmed up the summer weather considerably!!! :thumbup: )

DCI Championships were held in Montreal in 81 (SCV) and 82 (BD). The acoustics were so bad in Expo Stadium due to echoing, that many fans vowed to never go back. Shades of LOF.

KD

DCI Championships were held in Montreal in 81 (SCV) and 82 (BD). The acoustics were so bad in Expo Stadium due to echoing, that many fans vowed to never go back. Shades of LOF.

KD

That would be Olympic Stadium 1976, Expo was in 1967