Did this not bother anyone else?

I would never bash another corps......but this has to be said. I'm all for Crown winning the Brass title this season, but did anyone else notice that they didn't move that much? Yes, they did jazz running. But did you see them actually play like that on the move? All their hardest music was played while they stood still and posed. I think maybe lessen up the dancing a bit for next season and actually march? I will use the Cadets as an example. Challenging music right? How many times did you see them stop moving? Exactly.

I will however give major props to the Crown guard. They were running & working up a storm in the opener this year.

Like I said, my opinion.

I completely agree with your opinion.

Dancing and choreography while playing is much easier than marching fast and playing.

• Like 2

Crown would sound good marching PR, Cavies, Cadets, BD, etc's show. They would straight up sound good. Period.

I'm not sure I would buy that statement. Cavies and Cadets drill is pretty difficult. If they can apparently march those shows, then why don't they or something of the same difficulty? Maybe because they can't actually march like the Cavies and Cadets, therefore they wouldn't be able to play those shows. In order for me to believe that statement, I would need to see it and hear it.

Edited by 72Bach
  • Like 2

Bahaha right. There's a reason Crown's hornline still won the Jim Ott every night even though the corps went on 4th to last...pure talent top to bottom in the brass section coupled with unrivaled arranging and a tech staff that just doesn't accept anything other than perfection. That Cadets hornline couldn't touch Crown's...there's truly just no comparison.

Uhhhh, the Cadets hornline was a tenth behind Crown in Brass EVERY night from Quarters till Finals. AND their drill was harder, NO COMPARISON.

• Like 3

Uhhhh, the Cadets hornline was a tenth behind Crown in Brass EVERY night from Quarters till Finals. AND their drill was harder, NO COMPARISON.

Yeah, a tenth behind a drum corps that went on 3 corps before them all 3 nights. Crown still took the Jim Ott, every night. If you'd like to argue, I can show you the recaps which confirm the fact that, yes, they did win the brass title over the laughter-inducing Cadets hornline (laughter as a result of how god-awful the tone quality coming from that corps was)

• Like 2

If they can apparently march those shows, then why don't they or something of the same difficulty?

Or maybe it is because Leon May is not Michael Gaines. They view and write for DCs completely differently. Leon May's difficulty is in his lyrical writing and field coverage. Gaines is in his sheer intricacy (tons of 4 and 8 count moves) done at 4 and 2 step intervals with contrary motion.

As much as I hated to think it when I was marching, all corps are doing difficult stuff out there. Some of it is harder than others. Some of it seems harder than others. Some of it isn't hard at all. The difference between 6th and 1st isn't like the difference between backwoods high school and LD Bell.

Also, I consider Jeff Sacktig the PINNACLE of the activity, but have you seen his "cavaliers" section from 01? It is far from the excellence level of the actual Cavaliers. This is because these guys are artists of their craft, their brush will look completely different than someone elses.

Yeah, a tenth behind a drum corps that went on 3 corps before them all 3 nights. Crown still took the Jim Ott, every night. If you'd like to argue, I can show you the recaps which confirm the fact that, yes, they did win the brass title over the laughter-inducing Cadets hornline (laughter as a result of how god-awful the tone quality coming from that corps was)

Pre-Judging can do that.

And the Jim Ott is only awarded on one night.

Olive

Wow, really? I mean REALLY? Were you actually listening? Well apparently some the of world's finest judges felt otherwise, seeing as they scored just a tenth behind Crown. And going on 3 corps before makes no difference...The cadets still had to beat the Blue Devils in brass(probably the Most talented hornline out there). God forbid that the Cadets play in keys OTHER THAN Bb in the ENTIRE show.

I agree that Crown sounds amazing, they really do(That is what happens when all they play is in Bb). But I'm sorry, I'm not jumping on the Crown bandwagon.

• Like 1