Did this not bother anyone else?

I would never bash another corps......but this has to be said. I'm all for Crown winning the Brass title this season, but did anyone else notice that they didn't move that much? Yes, they did jazz running. But did you see them actually play like that on the move? All their hardest music was played while they stood still and posed. I think maybe lessen up the dancing a bit for next season and actually march? I will use the Cadets as an example. Challenging music right? How many times did you see them stop moving? Exactly.

I will however give major props to the Crown guard. They were running & working up a storm in the opener this year.

Like I said, my opinion.

Apparently, you're bothering people. devil.gif

Nope. If you feel this way, you are too close to the competition and the way the above post is written suggests that the writer doesn't know what they are talking about.

I'm not the biggest fan of EVERYTHING Crown does, but it's not easy marching. Also, your argument is tired and unoriginal. What you describe does not get extra points it seems.

Thanks for you 5th post in 2 years! ph34r.gif

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

Everything's great; everything's good. I love every corps. They're all just so fantastic my heart flutters, and there's nothing I don't like about any of them.

So you drove him away. Good for you.

He drove himself away. 5 posts in 2 years doesn't speak positively to the OP's DCP commitment...

• Like 1

P9,

What is it exactly that's bothering you? Can you please be more specific? Is it the park and play aspect, or parking part of the corps in standstill while doing the most difficult passage while the rest of the corps is doing drill (pretty clever in my opinion). I would be interested in reading your views,

Kevin Doherty

Well...I would hardly describe this as bothering me. However, since you asked......what constitutes difficulty vs what is the most effective performance of the material is the question. Quality of design is about the dynamics, flow and quality of the performance both visually and musically. In short, difficult does not mean good, it just means difficult. Being an old rock drummer, I always studied the masters of the trap set and the "best" (IMO) were always the ones that put just the right stuff where it was needed for the production, not the drummers who were unapproachable soloists. So my comment on the treadmill highlighted the absurdity of defining a brass line based on difficulty. Is it a factor? Of course, but the park and bark is part of the show design, meant for a particular emphasis, and not to make something easier to play. That is the inference with some on here, and it just isn't so. Also, suggesting a corps is purposefully masking "ease" through slight of hand by having other parts of the corps do difficult drill symultaniously is again ignoring the intent of the design.

So which is better? Simple gifts played wonderfully, balanced and emotionally in an parallel approaching company front.....or.....simple gifts played wonderfully, balanced and emotionally....running backwards?

• Like 2

Being an old rock drummer, I always studied the masters of the trap set and the "best" (IMO) were always the ones that put just the right stuff where it was needed for the production, not the drummers who were unapproachable soloists.

Hey, let's not get personal here!

:satisfied:

Actually, I'm in complete agreement on this point, and pretty much your entire response. I just had to highlight this point because I'm a smartass.

Garry in Vegas

Perhaps there should be a special caption award for the corps that runs around the best.

The Steve Prefontaine Marching Award?

Garry in Vegas

I just had to highlight this point because I'm a smartass.

Garry in Vegas

Really ?

So you drove him away. Good for you.

I personally was very interested in seeing what their next four posts between now and September 2013 would be. Now we may never know. And that, sadly, is something I'll reluctantly carry in my tortured soul the rest of my life.

• Like 2

Because it's a jazz dance technique.... that's what it came from....

Well, so where's classical dance technique? I say it's time to be fair to all the dances when it comes to drum corps.

The problem is, if we don't deal properly with this, we'll have to go back to discussing slotting, G vs Bb horns, and DCI politics.

So, when does the season start again? :w00t:

I find it extremely funny how someone posts something negative about Crown not moving and playing and they get over 20 dislikes, and a crapload of negative responses, but when someone does the same about Blue Devils, everyone is so quick to jump on the bandwagon.

Disclaimer: I don't condone bashing any of these corps, but you guys really need to learn some consistency. Really.

• Like 3

I find it extremely funny how someone posts something negative about Crown not moving and playing and they get over 20 dislikes, and a crapload of negative responses, but when someone does the same about Blue Devils, everyone is so quick to jump on the bandwagon.

Disclaimer: I don't condone bashing any of these corps, but you guys really need to learn some consistency. Really.

I've seen plenty of people come to the defense of Blue Devils when that has happened. I know I haven't been the only one to do so.

Edited by Michael Boo