Did this not bother anyone else?

Why don't we just put all the brass lines on treadmills, crank the #### things up as high as they go, and make them play their shows. THEN we'll really know who's best! :blink:

• Like 4

I have never seen the brass scoring sheet, but does it mention anything about moving/marching on it........or does it just have terminology about PLAYING A BRASS INSTRUMENT.

I cannot remember the sheets from last year. I never look at them anyways except for the number. The real feedback is on the tapes. That being said, in my 8 years experience as a brass instructor in drum corps and listening to somewhere around 200 brass tapes, I can tell you that yes, brass judges definitely take visual demand into account when putting down the brass number. Its been part of the game for years. And it works both ways. I was on the brass staff for Cadets in 02, if there were ticks in Boogie Woogie we would get slammed for it because they were standing still. Trust me. Its on the tapes. A lot.

As a side note, it kinda sucks cause there is a double standard. Visual judges rarely make comments about the music demand as they should. (Its obviously harder to march while playing isn't it?) This makes the split not truly 50/50. thumbdown.gif But that is a whole other discussion.

Edited by Cadets98

Some corps do the 'park & bark' strategy better than others. One corps that I will not name does it in a clever way having the section (s) w/ hardest parts stationary while rest of corps is moving; then the next section starts, and the stationary section shifts.

This works well with the current style of only playing snippets of melody at a time - 20 players standing still for 32 counts at a time while everyone else is moving at 160bpm tends to get overlooked.

And it is done to an extent by just about everyone - look at how everyone seems to do brass power chords while moving, while pit (standing still) does fast runs of notes up and down the keyboard.

It will be interesting to see how Jersey Surf does next year resurrecting the Bridgemen - it was done different back then - no school like old school.

• Like 1

It's a legitimate topic. Some might want to consider lightening up on the OP.

OP meanwhile might consider the good writing lessons rendered in this thread.

Me? I don't know where the execution/demand equation balances. Wherever that should be, I had no problem with Crown taking the trophy.

HH

• Like 2

OP -

No, it didn't bug me. I was too busy listening to the great brass playing to try to analyze whether or not - as a spectator and not a trained adjudicator - I thought they marched too much or too little. Silly me.

• Like 2

Why don't we just put all the brass lines on treadmills, crank the #### things up as high as they go, and make them play their shows. THEN we'll really know who's best! :blink:

P9,

What is it exactly that's bothering you? Can you please be more specific? Is it the park and play aspect, or parking part of the corps in standstill while doing the most difficult passage while the rest of the corps is doing drill (pretty clever in my opinion). I would be interested in reading your views,

Kevin Doherty

Edited by kdoh

I'll preface this by saying I didn't like Crown's show...

That said, they sound good. They sound good moving, they sound good standing still, they sound good in an arc, they sound good facing back field, they sound good warming up, they sound good in leon may's crazy field coverage.

Crown would sound good marching PR, Cavies, Cadets, BD, etc's show. They would straight up sound good. Period.

They have talent top to bottom, a great instructional staff, and almost everyone in their hornline makes a good, dark, characteristic sound on their instruments.

:withstupid:

• Like 3