What's Next for Pioneer

I have ZERO problems with a corps wanting to break free of the "We're here to get you to the next level" mentality....BUT...there has to be some level of self awareness. Pioneer sits within a 5 to 6 hour Drive away from four or five other World Class corps currently in the top 12, with even more just a bit further. Making recuritement TOUGH....not impossible, but tough. This ONE reason alone, is why I feel like Pioneer should be back in Open Class.

So did you offer the same advice to Blue Stars several years back?

• Like 1

So did you offer the same advice to Blue Stars several years back?

They are a perfect example......Blue Stars changed theyre business structure, opened up they're recruitment pipeline, and brought in some of the biggest and best names in designers to help move them in that direction. Had they not changed that structure, they would probably be in the same position today. Let's also not forget what Blue Stars was before they were Div. II/III.....they were a competitive "World Class" corps.....they simply had to "return"......not that I'm implying it was in anyway SIMPLE.

Let's also not forget what Blue Stars was before they were Div. II/III.....

First Federal Blue Stars ? :worthy:

< insert rimshot here >

• Like 2

I love all of the smart remarks just for someone asking a question.

I mean this very unsarcastically, but the exact same thing that has happened the last few years is probably going to happen again. They dont consider it "broken" so I am betting "They aint gonna fix it".

I mean this very unsarcastically, but the exact same thing that has happened the last few years is probably going to happen again. They dont consider it "broken" so I am betting "They aint gonna fix it".

How big was this World Class hornline in 2011?

Then compare the size to every other World Class corps. Was there another anywhere nearly this small? I honestly don't know. I was not at Indianapolis and did not purchase the Fan Network. Was there another World Class drum corps who's hornline had near the number that Pioneer fielded this year.

Then my next question will be the size of their guard.

How big was this World Class hornline in 2011?

Then compare the size to every other World Class corps. Was there another anywhere nearly this small? I honestly don't know. I was not at Indianapolis and did not purchase the Fan Network. Was there another World Class drum corps who's hornline had near the number that Pioneer fielded this year.

Then my next question will be the size of their guard.

Who cares how big the corps is? If they are financially stable, they are more worthy than a full-sized corps without those same logistics in place.

• Like 1

Actually, there were some things that we have recognized as being broken, and we are working to fix them. Contrary to popular belief, nobody within the corps has been satisfied with the results in recent years (Roman included). It's not an overnight process, unless you want to break the bank and put the corps' future at risk. Even then, there's no guarantee that you will succeed as money can't buy everything... including success.

One example of improvement, which was an area that was brought up repeatedly last off season, was quality of transportation. Outside of the one published mechanical issue involving our food truck, the season pretty much went off without a hitch.

Baby steps! We're at the point where it literally is about being Better Every Day!

Edited by PioneerWebmaster
  • Like 4

They are a perfect example......Blue Stars changed theyre business structure, opened up they're recruitment pipeline, and brought in some of the biggest and best names in designers to help move them in that direction. Had they not changed that structure, they would probably be in the same position today. Let's also not forget what Blue Stars was before they were Div. II/III.....they were a competitive "World Class" corps.....they simply had to "return"......not that I'm implying it was in anyway SIMPLE.

That isn't entirely accurate.

First of all, the current Blue Stars are not the same corps as the Blue Stars of old. The original Blue Stars corps folded after the 1982 season. Members all gone; staff all gone; equipment liquidated. The corps we now know as "Blue Stars" developed from the Blue Star Cadets, a feeder corps barely even started before the demise of the parent corps.

Secondly, your vague description of what they did isn't entirely accurate either. The big turning point for the corps was in 2004. Yes, they did restructure their organization....but for recruiting, they actually turned local instead of soliciting members from anywhere and everywhere. As for big-name staff, there was none of that until they were already in finals contention.

You are correct in that it isn't simple. Nearly all corps do the things you describe at some point, but some do them better than others.

Anyway, my purpose in posting was to suggest that it is silly to suggest that a corps not bother trying to thrive in a selected location simply because there are other thriving corps nearby.