What's Next for Pioneer

Lansing, thanks for popping in and happy to hear you are with the corps this year.

Once again I will ask that some of you "Negative Nellie's" GO AWAY! This was a post to find out what was going on. I would love to see Pioneer and ANY corps strive in DCI and be successful. That doesn't mean winning btw. If the kids in Pioneer leave Championships happy of their experience then that is winning. There are a few who have taken this post to a place that I did not want it to go. Unfortunately I can't control you other than having the post removed. I am glad to leave it ONLY because Lansing came on board. So for those that have another agenda...make up your own post, go there and spew your negativeness on your own post!!!

Please re-read your first post. Sounded pretty negative to me. Inactive? Moving down to Open Class?

So, perhaps you want all rosy and sunshine in your thread? Life isn't built that way. People don't learn from much from praise, they learn far more from criticism.

• Like 1

Please re-read your first post. Sounded pretty negative to me. Inactive? Moving down to Open Class?

So, perhaps you want all rosy and sunshine in your thread? Life isn't built that way. People don't learn from much from praise, they learn far more from criticism.

This is very true. But it is CONSTRUCTIVE criticism that allows people/organizations to know how to improve. It really appears that everyone here wants Pioneer to succeed. So what is all the fighting about? People may not necessarily agree with Roman and his way of running the corps, but Pioneer has stayed financially stable and is, from my personal experience, a great World Class experience. Competitive success is nice, and I am sure the show designers and caption heads are taking care of that end of things, but there are things that are just as important. Giving fans a great show to watch and the students a great experience is just as important.

It would be nice for Pioneer to be able to make the moves necessary to jump into contention for the upper positions in semi-finals or even Top 12, but in this economic climate, that would be a recipe for disaster for Pioneer. As many people are doing in this economic climate, the corps is trying to live within its means.

Edited by scsudrummer

Hello again.

TOM: I've never met you, that I'm aware of. That being said, in the past 24 hours I have read almost every one of your posts over the past year. Most have painted an unflattering portrait of you as what I would call a "Polly Poopypants", constantly critical of the organization, typically unsupportive of the organization, to the point of borderline obsessive and at the very least the unflattering side of nasty.

Pretty much sums up Mr. Brace. I wouldn't even bother responding to any of his post, will forever be a bitter person. For what reason? Noone knows.

This is very true. But it is CONSTRUCTIVE criticism that allows people/organizations to know how to improve. It really appears that everyone here wants Pioneer to succeed. So what is all the fighting about? People may not necessarily agree with Roman and his way of running the corps, but Pioneer has stayed financially stable and is, from my personal experience, a great World Class experience. Competitive success is nice, and I am sure the show designers and caption heads are taking care of that end of things, but there are things that are just as important. Giving fans a great show to watch and the students a great experience is just as important.

It would be nice for Pioneer to be able to make the moves necessary to jump into contention for the upper positions in semi-finals or even Top 12, but in this economic climate, that would be a recipe for disaster for Pioneer. As many people are doing in this economic climate, the corps is trying to live within its means.

Well said, sir.

Tom, did re-read it and don't really see what you see. I did write that but those were questions.....as in "What's Next?" I guess to make the negative people happy I could have added..."going to Europe, going top 12, etc." Sorry Tom!

You keep on being Mr Doom!

One of the reasons why people get so down on Pioneer and use them as a source of humor on DCP, every year, is the fact that they always come out with this hype about thier corps, program, and how great they are going to be; then, as winter progresses into spring, they don't get the membership that they desire, the music has become this and that, and the annual excuses arrive: "that's what we were planning to do" or "this is what we decided to do." The reality is, how can Pioneer expect everyone else to take them seriously when they don't take themselves seriously. I'm glad they are still around and, yes, I've done more than my fair share of cracking jokes about them; but something really, really needs to change with that organization.

• Like 1

No hype here. If there's anyone out there who knows me from my years of marching at Brigadiers, I am anti-hype.

I'm the quiet guy who watches, focuses, and mentally prepares for each show. I prefer to focus on the task at hand, whatever that is at the moment. Right now, it's design, recruitment, brass curriculum, and contribute to improving what I can including some fundraising ideas I have taken on in coordination with management.

In my opinion, Hype and over excitement are typically wasted energy from the true goal of maximizing the opportunities placed before us. I've been in drum corps long enough to know that anything can change at any moment, and its' better to be prepared for change.... have a plan B and a plan C in place well ahead of the competition, so it doesn't catch you off guard. And, if and when I march, it's about the "zen" of drum corps. Focus on one show at a time, one rehearsal at a time, with the end goal in the back of my head. That's what I try to instill in my students as well. That being said, I do believe in instilling that in a focused way when I instruct. Everyone has their job. Do it, and do it well, and we have no problems. Don't do it, and we'll have to have a little chat.

Maybe that sounds in itself like hype, but I have been criticized for years by people I marched with that I don't fist pump enough before going out on the field. I know that people love to do that, but it's not me. Everyone is different. I prefer balance of heart and smarts. Too much of one or the other can carry a show to places you don't want it to go. I'll save the fist pumping for after the season is done, for a few hours, with a brew. Then, it's planning for next year, if there is one for me.

Hype requires too much energy. The time spent doing that could be better spent planning.

Speaking of which, I have 12 pages of brass curriculum done... more to go. Have a good night.

Thanks for listening.

Lansing.

no offense, I've given some constructive criticism in past pio threads and been called negative. problem is, sometimes constructive criticism isn't always sugar and gumdrops.

One of the reasons why people get so down on Pioneer and use them as a source of humor on DCP, every year, is the fact that they always come out with this hype about thier corps, program, and how great they are going to be; then, as winter progresses into spring, they don't get the membership that they desire, the music has become this and that, and the annual excuses arrive: "that's what we were planning to do" or "this is what we decided to do." The reality is, how can Pioneer expect everyone else to take them seriously when they don't take themselves seriously. I'm glad they are still around and, yes, I've done more than my fair share of cracking jokes about them; but something really, really needs to change with that organization.

You keep citing this supposed "hype" every year. You have been for a couple years now. Maybe we're reading different message boards, but it's been quite a while since anything that I would consider "hype" has been posted. We hardly posted anything at all about 2011 outside of basic Press Releases. If that's what you consider "hype", we might as well just crawl under a rock and go away...

no offense, I've given some constructive criticism in past pio threads and been called negative. problem is, sometimes constructive criticism isn't always sugar and gumdrops.

Constructive criticism has always been welcome from the corps itself. We've actually discussed some of the stuff that's been brought up on DCP during meetings over the course of the past year. A big area that was harped upon in previous years was transportation/break downs. That was an area that was targeted for improvement in 2011 and by all means that goal was met. Is there always room for improvement? You bet. That's why the corps is taking an even closer look at the 2012 schedule to make sure our travel plans are the most practical possible.