Steve Jobs

RIP Steve Jobs. A true visionary. "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish!"

How do you think his very first Apple computer, to his products we use today, changed drum corps?

Edited by njthundrrd

Not sure about corps but the first drill I wrote for a band was on an LC3 using Advantage (just threw away the plug-in security key a month ago).

• Like 1

Even if it's not an Apple computer being used in writing the music, designing the drill, or managing the front ensemble's output*, Jobs' and Apple's impact on those who are given those tasks was and is significant.

He left the world a much better place than he found it. Best tribute any of us could hope for.

( * ...though I'd wager a majority of corps ARE using Apples and iPads for all those things :cool: )

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 1

Don't know about drum corps, but my wife (the guard instructor for the band I tech at) has all of our band's music on her iPod. That way she always has it with her as she works out her choreography. I'm sure she's not the only one that does that.

• Like 1

the ability to use the Ipad to control sound boards.

• Like 2

I have currently 5 Mac's (my first one I gave to a friend) and 3 of them are in use regularly. my 2nd Mac (2002 iMac) still works but eventually I'll give that to someone in need. I have 3 iPods.. etc. Todays news really hit me by surprise. Sad news indeed. : ( Because of internet forums I have gotten to know a lot of interesting drum corps alumni over the last 10 years thanks to people like Mr. Jobs.

I'd venture to say that most, if not a very high percentage of music corps play and drill they march is written on Macs. The sheer number of MacBooks you see on tour in the hands of corps staffs is impressive. Some corps use Macs to program synths as well. I know we did when I was at Teal Sound in 2009 and 2010 (used mine in fact).

As a brass staff member, I found my iPhone's tools to be invaluable. From the metronome and tuner to easy access to mapping software (to find after-show destinations), I wouldn't go on the road without it.

the ability to use the Ipad to control sound boards.

Absolutely; giving the sound board staff member the ability to sit in the stands and hear the blend as the audience (and judges in the box) hears it.

More and more corps are starting to release iPhone apps, which I think is one of my favorite things about my iPhone. Releasing these apps gives more publicity to the corps, as well as a bit of the money that the app costs.

I started drum corps in 2004, with a basic cell phone. I have been teaching with an iPhone the past 2 summers. It is unbelievable how much easier this device has made it to communicate information within the corps. Ordinarily, we would all have a meeting time to go listen to tapes. Many instructors now use iPads in rehearsal to teach drill or music. It is really pretty impressive.