Teal Sound Announces changes

OFFICIAL CHANGE IN ADMINISTRATION FOR TEAL SOUND

“The Teal Sound organization acknowledges that while past mistakes are evident in Joel’s case, it is not what defines his breadth of overall work. This was over a year and a half ago – people make mistakes, and we all learn from them.” stated Cary Byrd, Director.

Make no mistake about this. This guy you describe as making just a bad judgment “mistake” most likely fails to recognize the power imbalance and danger he caused for those children. Although he may have different motivations than other child abusers...the “harm” to the kids is the same. I cannot with good conscience support an organization that would allow such a person to remain on staff while fully knowing that such transgressions have occurred previously. Teal Sound really needs to rethink their decision and get rid of this nauseation who is a cancer to the organization before it is too late IMO.

• Like 6

Does anyone know how to contact the Teal Sound Board of Directors directly?

If you are concerned about the well-being of the students who will march Teal Sound this summer, voicing that opinion is one option.

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing today with regards to your recent Program Facilitator hire. Though your press release publicly acknowledges Mr. Moody's transgressions, I would like to register my concern as a [parent/educator/marching member/former marching member/long-time supporter]. Such "mistakes," whether acknowledged or dismissed, do indeed speak to one's character. When one makes such a "mistake," one absolutely forfeits their privilege of working with young people regardless of how talented or gifted they may be. How the decision-makers within the Teal Sound organization could justify such a hire is disturbing; the safety of the young people in your organization is always more important than any educational/competitive gains that could be cited to justify this decision. Does Mr. Moody deserve to allow his mistakes to define the rest of his life? Absolutely not. But should those mistakes define his future involvement with young people and his career in education? Without a doubt. Until those responsible rethink their abysmally poor decision regarding a man who has admitted to having inappropriate contact with his own students, I cannot and will not recommend the Teal Sound organization to anyone I encounter.

Sincerely,

[Name]

BRASSO had suggested that DCI take action on this matter. I don't know if they will or not, but should they? What do you all think?

First let me say that I am amazed to find many replies to the original post break the posting guidelines set by DCP and in the interest of promoting a positive rather than negative environment, should be removed. Many of the posts have included personal attacks on a member, have made threatening remarks regarding the member, and have attacked the Teal Sound organization as well as DCI. When posting, unless you know all of the facts (not just what you read in the newspaper), or unless you were the person directly involved then your comments are harassing and without merit.

In my 60 years of life experience, 40 of which I spent as an educator, I have found that those who profess to know all the answers and shout it out loud for everyone to hear, are most often the ones that have skeletons that are hiding in their own closets. Or, there are many that make nasty comments and spread gossip as a result of jealousy over those who are well-liked and successful in the profession. My question for those that go out of their way to post negative comments about things they really know nothing about is what example are you setting for the youth of this organization or your own band program?

We are all human and as humans we have all made and will continue to make choices that are not good ones and yes, as someone pointed out, we suffer the consequences of those choices. Learning from and living with the mistakes we make is only half the battle. The other half is how we emerge from the aftermath. In other words, how we live our lives afterward.

Teal Sound used a proactive approach to announcing its staff. It appears they felt that it was better to be open and honest rather than be accused of hiding something. Obviously, the organization recognizes the talent and expertise that each of the staff brings to the table and is ready to move forward. I can think of a lot better conversations to have regarding the upcoming season, can't you?

• Like 6

BRASSO had suggested that DCI take action on this matter. I don't know if they will or not, but should they? What do you all think?

No.

A. DCI has no jurisdiction over the operations of individual organizations.

B. If neither the school district, legal authorities nor the "victim" have chosen to pursue the matter, what would DCI's grounds be?

Edited by jpaul
  • Like 2

While labeling this child abuse is pushing it, it is most definitely unethical and creepy in the extreme. Since corps have decided they are educational organizations with faculties, students, tuition and whatnot they should themselves and their employees to the same ethical standards that employed by real schools. Think of the damage that could be done to the activity otherwise. I certainly wouldn't want my sister marching at a corps employing this guy or someone like him . . . but imagine the parents who wouldn't let their kids march in any corps, just because one group insists on keeping a creep on board? Yes, this sort of thing is rife in our activity, and gets swept under the rug way too often. But to have a guy outed for it publicly, and then dismiss as "not that big a deal"? Astonishing.

Yes, this guy messed up. Yes, he deserves a second chance . . . in some field other than education. When you're entrusted with students this is the one thing that's truly unforgivable, regardless of whether or not it's actually illegal.

• Like 1

I marched with the guy in '99 and was on support staff with him in '02.....never personally liked him.

• Like 1

...and "Boom goes the dynamite."

What's this thread about? rolleyes.gif

you will see if DCI gets involved there will be a calm then nothing..like other major circuits they have covered quietly for the pedophiles , embezzlers, ex posers and even felons.....priceless....im not personally judging anyone BUT as I said before people do make mistakes its the arrogrance of these individuals that is un believeable. Im not saying this particular person but many of high position. Like in all areas of life this exsists and as another poster said maybe some of these people do need another chance but how about some humility and maybe go somewhere else. Sorry ranting...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

First let me say that I am amazed to find many replies to the original post break the posting guidelines set by DCP and in the interest of promoting a positive rather than negative environment, should be removed. Many of the posts have included personal attacks on a member, have made threatening remarks regarding the member, and have attacked the Teal Sound organization as well as DCI. When posting, unless you know all of the facts (not just what you read in the newspaper), or unless you were the person directly involved then your comments are harassing and without merit.

In my 60 years of life experience, 40 of which I spent as an educator, I have found that those who profess to know all the answers and shout it out loud for everyone to hear, are most often the ones that have skeletons that are hiding in their own closets. Or, there are many that make nasty comments and spread gossip as a result of jealousy over those who are well-liked and successful in the profession. My question for those that go out of their way to post negative comments about things they really know nothing about is what example are you setting for the youth of this organization or your own band program?

We are all human and as humans we have all made and will continue to make choices that are not good ones and yes, as someone pointed out, we suffer the consequences of those choices. Learning from and living with the mistakes we make is only half the battle. The other half is how we emerge from the aftermath. In other words, how we live our lives afterward.

Teal Sound used a proactive approach to announcing its staff. It appears they felt that it was better to be open and honest rather than be accused of hiding something. Obviously, the organization recognizes the talent and expertise that each of the staff brings to the table and is ready to move forward. I can think of a lot better conversations to have regarding the upcoming season, can't you?

While no one has attacked a DCP member, you have just made a very, very serious accusation.

It's really very simple: You live your life participating in a career field that doesn't deal directly with youth.

I think a conversation about the safety of children is much more important than anyone's predictions, staff changes, or show announcements.

Edited by DrillmanSop06
  • Like 6