Teal Sound 2012

105 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the adult administration of the 2012 Teal Sound organization?

• Yes
    • No

While it might have been impossible to press real criminal charges due to the girl's age, there were numerous choices available to the parties mentioned to take legal action, yet they chose not to. To me this stinks of secrets that the family or girl wish to keep, perhaps the girls cooperation?

While I will not approve or disapprove of Mr. Moody's actions, I simply cannot stand by and let a man who has obviously had remorse for his actions

So in your view, if an individual resigns for disgusting and vile pursuits where the " teacher " said what he WANTED to do up the girls skirt,( among other things ) but the student and parent does not take legal action it translates in your view of ( quote ) " secrets " that the family or girl wish to keep, perhaps the girls cooperation " ie willingness to be seduced by the " teacher " ? ( you mean its not thinkable that the parents simply could not incur the legal costs of a lawyer, or didn't want put their teenager daughter thru the ordeal of a trial ? The girl must have been instead... what ?.... " asking for it " ?)

Gawd, was an unfortunate leap here for you to blame the student girl here when there is NO evidence that she wanted these agressive sexual pursuits from her " teacher ". She was told by the teacher to keep it " secret ". Thats the only " secret " that is verifiable and documented, not the " secrets " your imagination is concocting to lend support to a " teacher " that was so far out of bounds he had to abruptly resign.. and only when CAUGHT. There is also NO evidence that this girl followed the " teacher " after he resigned nor made any contact to him. NO evidence that she pursued him at ALL. We have NO evidence that the girl had her own " secrets " and that tag on the student is most, MOST unfortunate.... also, we have NO evidence to show that the " teacher " was remorseful at all. You assume his remorsefulness on what grounds ? You have none that I'm aware of.

Furthermore, you put the girl in a defensive position by asking why her parents did not sue. Might we likewise ask of the predator why he did not sue the girl and the parents for implicating him in behaviors that he belived were false and libelous to him and his future career as an educator ? Did HE do so ? Why not ? Did he write any reply to the Orlando Sentinel to explain himself in a matter that would perhaps help the public understand more fully his actions ? In a manner that would provide his side of the story if it was different than what the paper reported ? Why not ? If he did little wrong, why did he resign abruptly ? Since you accuse ( without a shred of evidence ) that the teenager might have " secrets ", might it also be true that this predator likewise has additional " secrets "... much worse " secrets "... that simply never came to the public light as well ? We certainly can make the same leap on conjecture and speculation with this predator as we do with the girl herself.

What we DO know, is that this individual had a sexual pursuit of his student, that was on going, that he wanted a physical sexual contact with her, wanted to keep it " secret " from everyone, and told his student to lie about it all if the two of them were found out. Sorry, but I think I know enough from these verifiable behaviors and events alone to disqualify him from being in any future environment where he is a " teacher " and has girls of similar age in his supervision. I and others didn't disqualfy him though in reality. He disqualified himself with his recent actions and behavior. And " NO " I don't have a focus on the predators here driven by national media. I don't particularly care about these people. These are disgusting people when they use their position of power to use that power over young people to advance their own selfish sexual needs and wants. My focus is on the student. They are the vulnerable. They need to be protected and have a safe environment in an instructional setting and an environment conducive to good training and good examples from adults put in positiions of authority and most importantly TRUST. This " teacher " failed that fundamental test. And guess what ? He doesn't get a make up test in my view. He flunked out on the TRUST bit and bigtime. And Teal Sound has made a huge huge mistake in hiring an individual that had these clear sexual predatory behaviors with his student less than 2 years ago.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

This announcement was on the heels of this very community releasing the information anyway. After their announcement of his addition, a member posted the article. I think they wished to control the topic by admitting it publicly, rather than attempting to hide it. I won't comment on whether this is sound business practice (Michael Scott seemed to think so. lol.), I admire their wish to remain public and open about it.

Well, given how past hires like this have worked out at other organizations, they would have been better off if they had not said anything. The community has a short memory. I'm not sure if being open about is admirable. It's wrong whether it's admitted or not, being public about is pretty foolish.

Financially, I'm sure they can recover. The losses they suffered were to due to some very bad characters weaseling their way into the program.

Well I hope Teal recovers, as I'd hate to lose another Southern corps. But are you sure all the bad characters have been weeded out of the program?

*Removed*

Edited by Teuphal
  • Like 1

My comments as to the nature of the affair are truly, and rightfully , simple speculation. While the idea that Mr. Moody was predatorizing the girl was easily accepted and represented, I felt that few people sought to view the story from all angles. I never said that my statements were true, or wholly in the right. I simply presented a thesis opposite to that mostly presented by the community, and hoped to provoke thought as to all the possible versions of this event.

I want only for all parties to be equally represented, and fairly viewed by judging parties. I wish only for The Teal Sound to not by disowned by the community for its actions. I am a firm supporter of the corps, and while I will not definitively support or not support the corps in this action, I do not think they should be so pressured to remove their employee, to be removed from the circuit (a true blow to the kids in the program, NOT a punishment to the corps admin), or that people should be widely discouraged from auditioning with the corps because of a staff member that will surely not appear in person to the kids, or probably even go on tour (my program directors or designers were never on tour with us.)

I sincerely hope for diplomacy on this matter, instead of the animosity and "trolling" that these message boards can be so infamous for.

Your quest here for a fair hearing on this decision has merit. I have no dog in this hunt. I don't know Teal Sound from a hole in the wall. I only know what this individual did and what risks he now poses to others where he has returned now once again to an environment after a brief hiatus that presents huge risks by virtue of the environment itself. This decision to hire this individual is indefensible in my opinion, particularly given the fact that there are so many other talented instructors out there available to Teal Sound that does not present a potential risk to their marchers. But I've said my piece, and others are certainly free to make their own observations and comments on this decision by Teal Sound, or just let it go, and hope or pray that there is no future incidents with this guy.

Edited by BRASSO

have the authority to really get to the truth or the facts, so all we have is gossip, libel, defamation, slander, and vilification.

Without having read everything on here, I think we can establish the follow as truth or facts:

* Moody sent a dozen sexually suggestive text messages to a student of his. Moody admitted to this and resigned from his position.

* Among the messages Moody texted to his student were:

•"I just want to grab you up. Hike up your dress. Well you know the rest."

•"I can't wait to see you naked. You're so beautiful."

* the student also told investigators that Moody suggested she keep his texts a secret so he wouldn't get in trouble.

* less than two years after this event Teal Sound drum and bugle corps hires Moody on their administrative staff.

I know no one involved in any of this, but thought I'd clarify some of the known facts of this situation.

Edited by perc2100

Without having read everything on here, I think we can establish the follow as truth or facts:

* Moody sent a dozen sexually suggestive text messages to a student of his. Moody admitted to this and resigned from his position.

* Among the messages Moody texted to his student were:

* the student also told investigators that Moody suggested she keep his texts a secret so he wouldn't get in trouble.

* less than two years after this event Teal Sound drum and bugle corps hires Moody on their administrative staff.

I know no one involved in any of this, but thought I'd clarify some of the known facts of this situation.

and all you quoted is damning enough.

There's a huge divide between being a pedophile and sexual predator and a "predatory action".

We do not have the facts, and what facts I've read aren't good, but they aren't that of a sexual predator or pedophile.

That is a fundamental problem that I have with this whole thread.

So, the black and white, cut and dry application of a standard of two different scenarios is disconcerting. The mob is a dangerous thing. A witch hunt is not in order in this scenario.

I do understand the issues of an educator dating a student. This case seems to be exactly why something like this shouldn't happen. There are too many things unknown and withheld to pass life condemning judgement. The line drawn for pedophilia is drawn at 18 years old, not 18 and a hair. The line isn't 18 AND graduated from high school. The line for sexual predator is likely anything that is NOT consensual, yet pressed.

There are two theoretical issues here for me: One is the age issue. The other is the student/teacher issue. The student/teacher issue is the only one with merit. This would be present no matter what the two people ages. Obviously, this seems to be a line that was crossed, possibly by all parties. It's not good, it's not productive, and it causes a lot of problems.

None of us have any facts on this drama other than the newspaper article. That told me that it's not a pedophile, which is the most important thing to me. The student/teacher issues is bad. I'm glad I don't have to deal with this issue personally.

But, the 18 year old issue would become involved if, and only when, other information of illegal activity surfaced as a result. If there was drinking together, etc., then it would be illegal activity...the 18 year old would be underage.

You are correct, however, in this case, with the evidence being what we have the issue becomes one of using the power position of teacher over the position of student. And in that, extremely poor judgement took place.

I would question just how many of you actually know both sides of this particular story. Who amongst you know the full story and are not basing your comments on what you've read on forums or something you've heard from a friend of a friend?

I suspect the answer to that is not many.

I'm not being critical of anyone because we're all entitled to our opinion but it's very important to remember that there's always two sides to every story.

As for the pole, I voted yes... 100%

• Like 2