Teal Sound 2012

105 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the adult administration of the 2012 Teal Sound organization?

• Yes
    • No

But, the 18 year old issue would become involved if, and only when, other information of illegal activity surfaced as a result. If there was drinking together, etc., then it would be illegal activity...the 18 year old would be underage.

You are correct, however, in this case, with the evidence being what we have the issue becomes one of using the power position of teacher over the position of student. And in that, extremely poor judgement took place.

You're right. I just want to be sure that we all see this for what it truly is: a violation of student/teacher boundaries. That is wrong, but it is not pedophilia. It may or may not have been predatory, but it was wrong. We don't have any more facts in order to ascertain much more.

• Like 2

Without having read everything on here, I think we can establish the follow as truth or facts:

* Moody sent a dozen sexually suggestive text messages to a student of his. Moody admitted to this and resigned from his position.

* Among the messages Moody texted to his student were:

* the student also told investigators that Moody suggested she keep his texts a secret so he wouldn't get in trouble.

* less than two years after this event Teal Sound drum and bugle corps hires Moody on their administrative staff.

I know no one involved in any of this, but thought I'd clarify some of the known facts of this situation.

And this...should have been end of story. Have any of you folks seen all of the online services available to parents today? Before they spend $2500 - $3000 to put their kid in YOUR non-scholastic activity, you can bet money they've run background checks on your entire staff, including volunteers as they are announced. And when in the school environment and in the corps environment the corps administration acts...in legal terms as "in loco parentis" in place or replacement for PARENTS. So, as such, the actions of this former teacher, now staff member, are clearly at odds with what the insurance company would back. That is...the types of decisions a PARENT would make. Not a boyfriend...not a potential suitor...a PARENT.

And this...should have been end of story. Have any of you folks seen all of the online services available to parents today? Before they spend $2500 - $3000 to put their kid in YOUR non-scholastic activity, you can bet money they've run background checks on your entire staff, including volunteers as they are announced. And when in the school environment and in the corps environment the corps administration acts...in legal terms as "in loco parentis" in place or replacement for PARENTS. So, as such, the actions of this former teacher, now staff member, are clearly at odds with what the insurance company would back. That is...the types of decisions a PARENT would make. Not a boyfriend...not a potential suitor...a PARENT.

Agreed!

By the way...all this...saving the corps stuff is strawman.

This is about the corps and their ability to make sound business decisions as a quasi-scholastic entity. Parents and supporters judge each organization they support and it's a pretty high threshold. Some like it squeaky clean. Others, surprisingly enough, are never seen. Never part of the structure. Never show up to a show. Nothing. Drum corps, for them is like summer babysitting...a more affordable Boarding School.

• Like 1

We must also be careful about ruining the life of this person. I subscribe to the Blackstone's formulation: "better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer".

Where does the innocent child/student victim fit into your Blackstone formulation?

Edited by oldbandguy

I would question just how many of you actually know both sides of this particular story. Who amongst you know the full story and are not basing your comments on what you've read on forums or something you've heard from a friend of a friend?

I suspect the answer to that is not many.

I'm not being critical of anyone because we're all entitled to our opinion but it's very important to remember that there's always two sides to every story.

As for the pole, I voted yes... 100%

1) nobody knows " the full story " but perhaps the teacher and the student he wanted to " get up your skirt" and also that he wanted to " see naked ". It could be WORSE than the irrefutable information we all know already. You certainly don't know the " full story " either. As far as what I'm " baseing my comments on", it is the known facts of the episode that is undeniable, which is :

1) the teacher was in a position of power over the student... supervisor over underling.

2) He wanted and desired a physical and sexual contact with his underling student.

3) he pursued her on an on going basis..

4) he recognized his behavior was way out of bounds and solicited the girl in a cover up.

5) We have verifiable info from this individual himself that he requested that the girl lie to authorities about

his behaviors if they were caught.

6) the timeline suggests he had no interest in stopping the behaviors, nor taking steps to resign during this

sexual pursuit of his student.

7) he only resigned once he was caught.

All these things are verifiable from what we DO know. You are correct that we do not know "the full story", nor that it is entirly possible that the episode, (and his behaviors) is much worse than what we all DO know now. That said, the above episodes of sexual agression and pursuit of a student to engage in sexual activities with his student, the cover up and solicitation of the demand for silence and demand of outright lies to authorities if caught, and the subsequent abrupt resignation when he was caught, is sufficient information to conclude from his actions that this " teacher " is untrustworthy and poses a future threat to young women and that Teal Sound has sacrificed safety and health of marchers for some perceived gain in competitive attainment. Thats how I see it anyway. This guy has a perfect right to make a future career in an arena that does provide him with a danger to himself, his employer, and most of all, to those he'd be entrusted with their care. He need not, nor should not, be involved in any capacity that involves the return to a position of power and influence over young people. He forfeited that right. He should go work in a company or a business where he is no danger to himself or others. Working with Teal Sound is not it, imo. Shame on Teal Sound for bringing into their organization as an instructor an individual whose actions would disqualify him from employment in any school system in the country. If he's a risk school systems would not take, then Teal Sound should have no less higher standards for their organization either, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

Where does the innocent child/student victim fit into your Blackstone formulation?

In this case, the student is NOT a child. Let's not forget that children and students are different groups and that we shouldn't just lumped them all together. Of course some children are students, but not all children are students. Also, not all students are children. I know it's simple logic, but it's important to the facts.

Read about Blackstone's formulation. Ruining one person's life on only some facts is not a good idea for a community of laws. Painting one thing as another is not a good idea. In this case, your question above suggests that there is a victim here, which I have no idea. I guess if one accepts that a student is automatically a victim, then your question is valid to address.

I'm not condoning anything, merely pointing out that we don't have a complete set of facts. That's what the court would be for...

For facts... For an innocent child to be harmed, they must be a victim. I would fight tooth and nail to keep an innocent child from harm. I would fight tooth and nail to keep anyone who is innocent from being harmed. Also, the attribute of being a student doesn't automatically make one a victim.

The facts that we have read have shown an unethical occurrence; not one that is illegal, or predatory. It was wrong and it appears that the teacher paid for their unethical behavior by losing their job. I don't see anything to suggest that this teacher will repeat. His actions were unethical, but not what many have painted them to be and certainly not something that I would ever dream of doing. Had the student been underage, it becomes a completely different matter. The would have been something unethical and something illegal. Then I'd be for putting the screws to the teacher after hearing ALL the facts, not just the sensational facts we've all read about.

I'm really not trying to be difficult. I more so trying to accurately comment on what the teacher did and react to that.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 3

here's the facts:

enough info has come out to destroy his reputation, innocent or not.

enough information has come out to make teal Sound look bad....regardless if he is innocent or not.

in this day and age, an organization can not have any kind of smears on it's reputation if it wants to succeed. I know, i worked for one of those nast subprime lenders years ago. Now, I'm happily employed by one of the best mortgage companies out there, but when trying to get this job, that association...even tho I was never listed in any customer complaints or litigation....itgot me several looks and lots of questions. It took a lot to overcome that association.

regardless of innocence or guilt, this association has and will hurt Teals image. In this day and age, NO drum corps can afford that.

Note...i'm not saying he's guilty or innocent. I am saying regardless of that, this coming to the light of day HURTS Teal Sound. Big. For any endeavour that calls itself an educational activity, this is the last thing you want tied to your name.

• Like 1

here's the facts:

enough info has come out to destroy his reputation, innocent or not.

enough information has come out to make teal Sound look bad....regardless if he is innocent or not.

in this day and age, an organization can not have any kind of smears on it's reputation if it wants to succeed. I know, i worked for one of those nast subprime lenders years ago. Now, I'm happily employed by one of the best mortgage companies out there, but when trying to get this job, that association...even tho I was never listed in any customer complaints or litigation....itgot me several looks and lots of questions. It took a lot to overcome that association.

regardless of innocence or guilt, this association has and will hurt Teals image. In this day and age, NO drum corps can afford that.

Note...i'm not saying he's guilty or innocent. I am saying regardless of that, this coming to the light of day HURTS Teal Sound. Big. For any endeavour that calls itself an educational activity, this is the last thing you want tied to your name.

Very true, Jeff!

I think I'm done with this topic unless something new happens.

It's really not up to me to point out the obvious or to appear to defend anyone.

Actually, I believe that I've been trying to defend logic and reasoning over FUD and rage.

In know, I'm a complete contrarian. I apologize to DCP for that.... tongue.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

1) nobody knows " the full story " but perhaps the teacher and the student he wanted to " get up your skirt" and also that he wanted to " see naked ". It could be WORSE than the irrefutable information we all know already. You certainly don't know the " full story " either. As far as what I'm " baseing my comments on", it is the known facts of the episode that is undeniable, which is :

1) the teacher was in a position of power over the student... supervisor over underling.

2) He wanted and desired a physical and sexual contact with his underling student.

3) he pursued her on an on going basis..

4) he recognized his behavior was way out of bounds and solicited the girl in a cover up.

5) We have verifiable info from this individual himself that he requested that the girl lie to authorities about

his behaviors if they were caught.

6) the timeline suggests he had no interest in stopping the behaviors, nor taking steps to resign during this

sexual pursuit of his student.

7) he only resigned once he was caught.

All these things are verifiable from what we DO know. You are correct that we do not know "the full story", nor that it is entirly possible that the episode, (and his behaviors) is much worse than what we all DO know now. That said, the above episodes of sexual agression and pursuit of a student to engage in sexual activities with his student, the cover up and solicitation of the demand for silence and demand of outright lies to authorities if caught, and the subsequent abrupt resignation when he was caught, is sufficient information to conclude from his actions that this " teacher " is untrustworthy and poses a future threat to young women and that Teal Sound has sacrificed safety and health of marchers for some perceived gain in competitive attainment. Thats how I see it anyway. This guy has a perfect right to make a future career in an arena that does provide him with a danger to himself, his employer, and most of all, to those he'd be entrusted with their care. He need not, nor should not, be involved in any capacity that involves the return to a position of power and influence over young people. He forfeited that right. He should go work in a company or a business where he is no danger to himself or others. Working with Teal Sound is not it, imo. Shame on Teal Sound for bringing into their organization as an instructor an individual whose actions would disqualify him from employment in any school system in the country. If he's a risk school systems would not take, then Teal Sound should have no less higher standards for their organization either, imo.

I don't doubt you know what he did but what did she do....there's always two sides to every story.

I don't know all the facts so I am in no position to pass judgement on this guy.

• Like 1