Should We.....

How would this result in more money and exposure? If it doesn't result in BOTH... don't do it.

It simply makes no sense to resurrect old show names and concepts, and this is exactly the opposite direction the activity should be going in (Talk to any kid these days and mention US Open... they'll likely think you're talking about tennis).

All shows should be uniformly branded with the tour name + city or venue location. Priority should be on creating a branded and easily SPONSORED opportunity... not further brand dilution, confusion and fragmentation.

• Like 1

Tom, I think we need to get on the same thought. In reading your posts I gathered (correct me if I'm wrong) that your contention is that all you need is a chunk of change to get a good show. I'm telling you, it doesn't work that way. I could call DCI offering $32,000 for an 8 corps lineup, and it doesn't mean a hoot until the corps set their major tour plans. Then DCI coordinates their attendance at series of shows that fits best with those plans. Me having more than enough to spend doesn't get me a show - you can't "buy up".

I also gathered from your posts that you think a 6 corps show would satisfy in the same way that the USOpen used to. "It's just that easy", you said. It's not, unless DCI is able to schedule a dynamite major show. There are 5 "major" shows (as you describe) within a two hour drive of Marion, OH, the home of the USOpen. There's no incentive to make is a stop unless it's a major show. To get a major show the corps have to be in the area. It's not as easy as "you only need money". That's my disagreement with your post.

As I said, the local shows risk-taking is done 100 times or more throughout the summer. Having a local team to absorb the risk is a benefit to DCI. There are many of those. There's also money-metrics which take "expense" off the table in conjunction with attendance. So if DCI wants to make the USOpen as big as it was BITD, they'd have to get the corps in place. And that's the part that's out of the control of the local team.

I, frankly, still don't get the relevance of your post responses, which makes me wonder if we're arguing the same bull-fight.

2012 is pretty well set. Now that the show is in Indy each year, the rest of the schedule is...already set. I know when San Antonio, Denver, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Allentown. Map it out. Each week in between the corps have to get from A to B. If you are on the way from Allentown to Indy...you have two likely days to get 8 corps. Sunday or Monday.

How would this result in more money and exposure? If it doesn't result in BOTH... don't do it.

It simply makes no sense to resurrect old show names and concepts, and this is exactly the opposite direction the activity should be going in (Talk to any kid these days and mention US Open... they'll likely think you're talking about tennis).

All shows should be uniformly branded with the tour name + city or venue location. Priority should be on creating a branded and easily SPONSORED opportunity... not further brand dilution, confusion and fragmentation.

Good morning, Dan! Haven't seen you in a while...

I want to fully agree with your entire post, except that I know your contention is that all small shows (the 100 or so done each year) should be thrown on the ash heap and run, exclusively, by the G8.

If I can exclude that proviso, I agree with your post entirely.

Yes, Tom, if they scheduled the USOpen between Allentown and Indy, but what happens then to the Coats' show, or Glassmen's?

Should DCI decide to buy into the thought of having a major show at that time to replicate the USOpen, I'm sure it would be done by a local crew.

But I'd have to agree with current DCI thought that I fail to see the rationale.

I'm not sure what the vision is in your head, but a TOC show is about as far from "Old School DC and fan favorite classic(s)" as you can get.

If you're thinking of a whole, new TOC show design concept, that's fine. But using "TOC" and "Classic" in the same sentence is not even close to reality, right?

What I was implying, and apparently didn't explain properly, would be to BLEND the Tour of Champions format (Top 8 corps + whatever other stuff they do other than their field show) w/the "old school/classic" by hosting shows at old fan favorite sights w/fan favorite classic names such as US Open, World Open, American-International Open.

I was actually thinking of you, when you stated in a previous post

But if DCI put up a heck of a lineup I'm sure I could find a stadium to hold it and a show staff to handle it..

My thought was the one way to guarantee a line-up of the Top corps in DCI would be to host a TOC event, thus guaranteeing the Top 8 corps.

I do realize the issues between event organizers splitting cost & revenue, which is why I said

Seems like a win/win on the surface (without exploring logistics of all of this).

I know there would be complications (to put it, probably, mildly), but it's just a thought.

Good morning, Dan! Haven't seen you in a while...

I want to fully agree with your entire post, except that I know your contention is that all small shows (the 100 or so done each year) should be thrown on the ash heap and run, exclusively, by the G8.

If I can exclude that proviso, I agree with your post entirely.

Yes, Tom, if they scheduled the USOpen between Allentown and Indy, but what happens then to the Coats' show, or Glassmen's?

Should DCI decide to buy into the thought of having a major show at that time to replicate the USOpen, I'm sure it would be done by a local crew.

But I'd have to agree with current DCI thought that I fail to see the rationale.

I agree, and IMO "a name's just a name" when it comes to drum corps shows. I loved Preview of Champions in the late 80's/early 90's far more than any of the smaller shows mentioned in this thread. I also loved all of the big Regional competitions (DCM, DCE, DCW, DCI South, etc). At this time fans all over get the experience of, essentially, 'Preview of Champions' with the big shows all corps go to. In that case, the US Open, for example, isn't really a big deal for modern fans and hosting a show with the same name would only placate old timers and serve little/no logic.

My suggestions in an earlier posts were really trying to make those old school show venues work with the modern schedule, and based on your insistence that DCI provide a killer line-up the only thing that makes sense would be a Tournament of Champions type show.

• Like 1

What I was implying, and apparently didn't explain properly, would be to BLEND the Tour of Champions format (Top 8 corps + whatever other stuff they do other than their field show) w/the "old school/classic" by hosting shows at old fan favorite sights w/fan favorite classic names such as US Open, World Open, American-International Open.

I was actually thinking of you, when you stated in a previous post

My thought was the one way to guarantee a line-up of the Top corps in DCI would be to host a TOC event, thus guaranteeing the Top 8 corps.

I do realize the issues between event organizers splitting cost & revenue, which is why I said

I know there would be complications (to put it, probably, mildly), but it's just a thought.

I'm all in favor of mixing the two. In fact, that idea is possibly being explored in the recent handshake between DCA and DCI. That may very well be in our future and I'd love to host a show where DCA performs along-side DCI.

I agree, and IMO "a name's just a name" when it comes to drum corps shows. I loved Preview of Champions in the late 80's/early 90's far more than any of the smaller shows mentioned in this thread. I also loved all of the big Regional competitions (DCM, DCE, DCW, DCI South, etc). At this time fans all over get the experience of, essentially, 'Preview of Champions' with the big shows all corps go to. In that case, the US Open, for example, isn't really a big deal for modern fans and hosting a show with the same name would only placate old timers and serve little/no logic.

My suggestions in an earlier posts were really trying to make those old school show venues work with the modern schedule, and based on your insistence that DCI provide a killer line-up the only thing that makes sense would be a Tournament of Champions type show.

hate to tell you but a name's just a name isn't always the case when you look at long running shows like the Barnum festival and grand Prix on the DCA circuit.

even around here, people ask me about the hershey Spectacular, which hasn't run since 2004. They don't really know drum corps, but they knew about the hershey Spectacular and often went.

I'm all in favor of mixing the two. In fact, that idea is possibly being explored in the recent handshake between DCA and DCI. That may very well be in our future and I'd love to host a show where DCA performs along-side DCI.

I wonder about this. I liked mixing the 2 back in the day also BUT to make it a financial success would there be enough newer/ younger people interested in such a venture or to come and see even. I'm not sure. the few DCA shows I was able to go to this year consulting with a a corps after DCI the crowds seemed pretty old ( not that thats bad...relax ...lol ) maybe with coprs like Reading and a few others and of course Cadets 2 coming up in 2012 that can change. We'll see

Edited by GUARDLING

I wonder about this. I liked mixing the 2 back in the day also BUT to make it a financial success would there be enough newer/ younger people interested in such a venture or to come and see even. I'm not sure. the few DCA shows I was able to go to this year consulting with a a corps after DCI the crowds seemed pretty old ( not that thats bad...relax ...lol ) maybe with coprs like Reading and a few others and of course Cadets 2 coming up in 2012 that can change. We'll see

While some folks here are speculating on what whould or would not work, and whether bringing back an old show "named" event makes sense, let's take a look at what HAS been done recently:

In 2010, Boston Crusaders brought back the old "Bridgeport Drums" show to Bridgeport, CT. That line-up had Open and World Class corps, and an exhibition by the CT Hurricanes. The show was a success and was held again this past summer to an even bigger crowd. This WAS a DCI-sanctioned show, btw.

In 2011, BAC brought back the venerable CYO Nationals, again as a DCI-sanctioned show. Here was the line-up: Carolina Crown, Boston Crusaders, Madison Scouts, Crossmen, Spirit of Atlanta, Jersey Surf, and Spartans. Nope, nothing wrong with this lineup...

Was this a Top 8 show? No. Did it matter? Absolutely not! The crowd was gigantic, the corps all did well financially, all the souvie booths were mobbed (including the CYO National legacy stuff), and everyone went home thrilled.

Both of these shows were held in old (but recently renovated with new turf) stadiums.

And, talk about branding....Boston now hosts three shows: Bridgeport Drums, CYO Nationals, and East Coast Classic.

Nothing against TOC8 shows....but these shows PROVE you can succeed quite well with a mix of corps, and these show names are much better, imo, than simply "Bridgeport", "Quincy", or "Lawrence".

• Like 2

While some folks here are speculating on what whould or would not work, and whether bringing back an old show "named" event makes sense, let's take a look at what HAS been done recently:

In 2010, Boston Crusaders brought back the old "Bridgeport Drums" show to Bridgeport, CT. That line-up had Open and World Class corps, and an exhibition by the CT Hurricanes. The show was a success and was held again this past summer to an even bigger crowd. This WAS a DCI-sanctioned show, btw.

In 2011, BAC brought back the venerable CYO Nationals, again as a DCI-sanctioned show. Here was the line-up: Carolina Crown, Boston Crusaders, Madison Scouts, Crossmen, Spirit of Atlanta, Jersey Surf, and Spartans. Nope, nothing wrong with this lineup...

Was this a Top 8 show? No. Did it matter? Absolutely not! The crowd was gigantic, the corps all did well financially, all the souvie booths were mobbed (including the CYO National legacy stuff), and everyone went home thrilled.

Both of these shows were held in old (but recently renovated with new turf) stadiums.

And, talk about branding....Boston now hosts three shows: Bridgeport Drums, CYO Nationals, and East Coast Classic.

Nothing against TOC8 shows....but these shows PROVE you can succeed quite well with a mix of corps, and these show names are much better, imo, than simply "Bridgeport", "Quincy", or "Lawrence".

These show names are pretty much meaningless for all but those that are or soon will be eligible for Medicare.

Again, it's about the money. A random list of show names is harder to market and promote.... and is a major missed opportunity for sponsorship.

• Like 1