Blue Stars Brass Staff

exactly my point. he put boston on the map, and helped sustain stars for a couple years. Maybe thats what he is best at, is making corps into finalists.

Just going to throw this one out there.....

Have you SEEN Boston's 2000 show?

Just going to throw this one out there.....

Have you SEEN Boston's 2000 show?

-me 11 years later- Yeah, it was a solid show. Your point?

-me 11 years later- Yeah, it was a solid show. Your point?

It was an unbelievably good and emotion driven show, that placed 5th. I don't know how that qualifies as "just breaking into finals"

It was an unbelievably good and emotion driven show, that placed 5th. I don't know how that qualifies as "just breaking into finals"

I find myself in the bizarre position of jumping in here and defending Howard, the Boston Crusaders, and the Blue Stars all at the same time. The comment regarding BAC being in semifinals purgatory until he came to town is harsh but accurate. Having said that, he did assemble a strong team and along with those Florida staff people (including Tom Santino, btw) came a slew of very talented Florida band kids. As has been discussed elsewhere, the Boston area is NOT a strong marching band environment, but much of Florida obviously is. BAC continued to grow, both in terms of achievement and numbers. I have always given credit to Howard for what he accomplished, but to somehow suggest that he was a one man show is disingeuous. That kind of thinking resulted in many folks expecting Boston to crash and burn after Howard left in 08 and that, as we know, has not been the case. It is also inaccurate to state that he gave BAC a new identity...rather, he took what was there, grabbed it, enhanced it, and ran with it.

I think the problem here is that some folks are consumed by finals placement. You know, all those years that BAC spent in "semi-finals purgatory" would have caused many corps to fold...and did. Boston didn't dwell on placement....thank God now! I think if you focus on just the 11th place, you're in danger of swinging on your own rope. I have said repeatedly this summer that I thought the Blue Stars had a great show. The fact that Madison, Blue Knights, and Boston all had great years AT THE SAME TIME is not within the control of the Blue Stars' staff.

As for props, I honestly don't recall who was behind them during the Boston prop-heavy era, because I wasn't privy to any design meetings, but I still maintain that BS's prop issues in 2011 had more to do with it's placement on the field than how large it was.

Although I am not personally close to any of Blue Star's current team, I know many of them via their time at Boston or by reputation and the corps is in good hands.

I wish you the best for 2012.

Your comments on props are hilarious. You slam them for props yet you praise the CHAMPION Blue Devils that use lots of----ummmm----wait for it----PROPS! (To great effect I might add)

I don't recall stating anything in regards to the support of the Blue Devil's use of props. Moreover, the last time I enjoyed a Blue Devil's show was back in 2007. Since then, they've been boring and a great excuse to go use the toilet.

At the beginning of this past season I was hyping on the Blue Stars, as I saw a program that had potential; but, ultimately, failed. For the most part, I've always disliked the Blue Stars' use of props; might as well include the use of electronics and voice, as well. If that makes me fair weather, so be it. I call things like I see and hear them. If I like something, I'll say it; if I dislike something, I'll say it.

Edited by shortn'sour

I cannot see this change causing a big ripple among the membership.

Check out Facebook. Particularly those of the longest-term, leadership members of last year's brass line.

As far as age outs, I am not sure the Blue Stars experienced any more than usual. I thought the 2011 line was made up of quite a few first year people.

I believe they had their highest number of age-outs since returning to WC. Somewhere around 43(???). There were a bunch in the left stands on the night of semis.

Check out Facebook. Particularly those of the longest-term, leadership members of last year's brass line.

I believe they had their highest number of age-outs since returning to WC. Somewhere around 43(???). There were a bunch in the left stands on the night of semis.

There is a video of the non age-outs playing the ballad for the age outs, and I count about 16 from the hornline. And the quality of playing still sounds great with the 64 members still playing. I don't see this number of hornline age outs causing any problems for them.

Edited by MarchandPlay
  • Like 2

When you play at that level, you will always have 35-40 or more age-outs. What is new?