Did you march your age out?

I marched my age out year because I wanted to finish what I started, but I was fortunate. There was a good DCA corps in my area and I knew where my destiny lied. Most kids aren't that lucky. DCI likes to put a spin on it as if age outs were as happy as clams at high tide, but (for better or worse) I've seen age outs break down in tears over it.

• Like 1

Huge regret for me, my age out would have been 92 and it would have been with Crossmen............. I don't have many regrets in life but that's a biggie.

Wow, that's my favorite show of all time, and what got me involved in this activity.

Yes, I marched my age out year.

Yea - I aged out in 1977. I marched 73 and 74 - got burnt out after a tough 74 season - came back in the fall of 75 - marched 76 and 77.

There was never any doubt I would age out. Nothing stood in my way - my boss was super supportive (I needed 5 weeks off for tour in both 76 and 77). I never worked so hard in my life to help my corps.

When our alumni corps emerged in 1994 - I was there to teach and march.

I marched my age out year in 1983

My competetive result wasn't as good as it was in 1982 but the season was way more fun...

Also I was able to watch one of the biggest changes in DCI show design while watching that wonderful '83 Cadets show!

Truth be told it took me a few years to appreciate that show... But I knew in the back of my mind it was special!

Edited by Big Bad Bari

I marched my age out year because I wanted to finish what I started, but I was fortunate. There was a good DCA corps in my area and I knew where my destiny lied. Most kids aren't that lucky. DCI likes to put a spin on it as if age outs were as happy as clams at high tide, but (for better or worse) I've seen age outs break down in tears over it.

I was pretty upset about aging out. I had marched for 10 years, with the last 6 of them being with groups who had summer-long tours, and it was hard to conceive of not spending my summer on tour. I wasn't drawn to DCA at the time, so I knew I would be going cold turkey on my drum corps addiction!

So, on the long bus ride to semi-finals I wrote a list of all the things that I could do after aging out which I couldn't have done until then because of my time/money commitment to drum corps. Things like camping, white water rafting, international travel, etc. It helped me put everything in perspective. BTW, I did everything on that list and it's amazing how I keep finding so much to add to it....in spite of continuing to cross things off it...it never seems to get smaller :0)

To the OP, yes I marched my age out. So glad that between hard work, and life circumstances I was able to do it...marching was an absolutely life changing experience for me.

No, I did not march my ageout.

I did not march because of a woman (succubus)

I spent about three years living in regret. I'm over it now.

• Like 1

ANS: Yup! (Although I almost didn't.)

WHY NOT: Was butting heads with some members and staff. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and I was allowed to come back in January (sans audition).

REGRET: The 2010 season? Yeah, you can bet I would have regretted not marching that season.

• Like 1

Nope, I didn't march until I aged out. I just ran out of money and had to pay for my own college. I would have done it, but, eating was becoming a real problem. (I marched my final tour with $20 and a box of generic canned spaghetti. I still get chills when I see white and black cans. I lost 20 pounds that year.)

I wish I could have done my final two years and marched out with the rest of the friends I met during my six years. :sad: