DCI 2012 Programs

Pioneer switched from U2 to Dropkick Murphys I hear.

Bono said no.

based on the you tube postings by Jersey Surf it looks like the following is included in their show

In the Stone

Land of Make Believe

William Tell Overture

Gosh how I miss the terms "Soprano" & "Contra".

you don't have to miss them.

You can say soprano and contra still and it would be perfectly fine.

Trumpet = the Sorprano voice in the ensemble

Tuba = the Contra Bass voice in the ensemble

as far as I'm concerned Soprano and Contra are still viable terms to use for those two voices in the ensemble regardless of the instrument name.

• Like 2

Not sure how I feel about this. Beautiful name ... but it makes me wish there was a secret fifth piece ... "Music of the Night" as they did in '89 ... one of the best things they've ever played! I hope they are secretly planning on pulling that out midseason or later as a final push to the end of the show. That'd be AMAZING!!!! :worthy: Babies would be thrown!

• Like 5

Not sure how I feel about this. Beautiful name ... but it makes me wish there was a secret fifth piece ... "Music of the Night" as they did in '89 ... one of the best things they've ever played! I hope they are secretly planning on pulling that out midseason or later as a final push to the end of the show. That'd be AMAZING!!!! :worthy: Babies would be thrown!

YES PLEASE!

• Like 1

Goosebumps!

• Like 1

Cascades: "Shinto"

In the 54th year of the Cascades Drum Corps, expect the unexpected. This year the drum corps will head in yet another extreme programming direction when they present "Shinto" to audiences throughout America.

Shinto is the indigenous spirituality of the people of Japan. It is a set of diligently carried out practices to establish a connection between present day Japan and its ancient past through multiple deities.

Due to geographic association, the Northwestern United States has been significantly influenced by Asia and especially Japan. The relationship of the two regions runs deep and the Cascades seek to share the beauty and artistry of the Japanese culture with the drum corps audience.

Using powerful Japanese visual elements from auspicious red, woodblock prints, and architectural design, the Cascades will present the moods and imagery of various Shinto Gods. As part of their engaging thematic approach to the 2012 Shinto production, the newly acquired uniforms in 2011 will hold grand surprises for this summer’s invention. Reliably bringing the visual design to life will be the imaginations of Kurt Jull, Ron Comfort and Benjamin Adams.

Using a variety of Japanese musical elements such as the less familiar orchestral court music and ever popular taiko drums, musical selections for this summer’s production are inspired by John Mackey, Hans Zimmer and John Powell with original compositions created by the return of Lewis Norfleet and percussion design by alumnus and venerated percussionist Chris Whyte.

Throughout their history, the Cascades growth consistently strives for intriguing content, challenging abilities, and engaging a national audience as they continue their education of young students in the performing arts.

Music of the Starry Night, huh? I wonder how much Van Gogh imagery we're going to see.