Question re: Music Rights

It's been my understanding that John Williams won't allow drum corps to use his music, but yet all afternoon I've been hearing college bands playing his stuff - particularly from Star Wars.

Is it merely a question of money, or is he refusing to allow drum corps usage for another reason?

It's been my understanding that John Williams won't allow drum corps to use his music, but yet all afternoon I've been hearing college bands playing his stuff - particularly from Star Wars.

Is it merely a question of money, or is he refusing to allow drum corps usage for another reason?

Some of it may be that they are required to use specific arrangements.

I'm sure that's it... big publishing houses, he will make royalty deals with and I believe has to give approval to the arrangements prior to printing for mass sale... I am told that he will still not give performance rights to an individual unit or arranger.

The funniest thing about rights that I ever ran into was that my Rochester Patriots did a considerable number of tunes by Philip Glass. These were arranged by Bill Calhoun and we apparently impressed them... One day, I answered the phone in the office and the person on the other end said they were a relative of Philip Glass (at least then the family controlled this) and that they had been contacted by some guy in Sacramento California named Ray Marr for permission to arrange and play one of his pieces... "We thought of you and knew you would steer us right. Should we trust him? Are they on the up and up?"

lol Ray still owes me a cold one...

I never really understood this (then again I'm not a composer in the least). If I were to ever write an amazing piece of music not only would I sell the rights to anyone who wanted to use it to get all the money possible, but I would LOVE to hear my music played as often as possible.

I never really understood this (then again I'm not a composer in the least). If I were to ever write an amazing piece of music not only would I sell the rights to anyone who wanted to use it to get all the money possible, but I would LOVE to hear my music played as often as possible.

I'm not in favor of their tight controls of their properties, but they ARE their properties... I do believe in non-profit organization situations some leniancy should be given... unfortunately, not every performance group and not every arranger is equal to the composer's expectations... The examples I gave are good ones: John Williams - too big to worry about the little guy... all about MONEY... Philip Glass on the other hand, they were only concerned with it being a "respectable" presentation of his legacy.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, if someone played a really crappy version of my piece, I'd laugh all the way to the bank!

There are many of John Williams pieces pre arranged and published through the larger publishing houses. You cannot re arrange THAT arrangement.

Donny

Some could not want bands or drum corps butchering their music or even playing their music. Some artists are so protective of their work and don't want it messed with. MAny its for big dollars and personally I wouldn't fault them feeling stongly about either. Work is work and although from our perspective we think we should be allowed or because we arent selling it ( actually we are in video reproduction as well as public viewing in many forms )I can understand how the artist would feel.Sucks for us in the activity. WGI has become a nightmare with the music rights although thats another ballgame, for guards anyway. There, you are actually using THEIR ( The artist's ) body of work or a part of it.

Edited by GUARDLING

He will allow it, but on his terms. He has different arrangements available through JW Pepper and other similar outlets. Its just VERY controlled.

When I was in the US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, he gave permissions for us to arrange and perform ("Summon The Heroes" and "Were Lookin' Good"- I did the percussion arrangements).

• Like 1

He will allow it, but on his terms. He has different arrangements available through JW Pepper and other similar outlets. Its just VERY controlled.

When I was in the US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, he gave permissions for us to arrange and perform ("Summon The Heroes" and "Were Lookin' Good"- I did the percussion arrangements).

"ASCAP and All That":

Drum Corps (At least the 1978 Madison Scouts) HAVE used JW's arrangements. The Scouts used a BIG chunk of the "Star Wars" scores for their second half of show.

Elphaba