I STILL say....the greatest opener ever is........

1971 SCV "Festive Overture/Procession of the Nobles" B)

Saw the title of the thread and immediately thought Procession of the Nobles.

Now that horns are in Bb, I'd really like to hear it done in the original key. It's one of only a few great classics that hasn't been done to death. In fact it hasn't been played in decades. Surely some corps out there must have the huevos to give it a go.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what's so cool about this thread and about DCP in general -

This is a thread that's nearly 3 years old and people are STILL posting on it - with their inputs on THEIR favorite openers, based on the time they were involved in drum corps - and the DCP family has several generations here and can differ on favorite songs or favorite openers but still communicate wherever we are in the world!

One thing I've found about "openers" is that they're very different from "my day" - it used to be an Off The Line thing to "kickoff" the rest of the show, and nowadays, it seems like "openers" are different in the sense that there's no real "opener" i.e. "get your attention" with the first minute or two - today's openers seem more complex in many ways, might be a good thing, am still trying to understand it all.

Here's what's so cool about this thread and about DCP in general -

This is a thread that's nearly 3 years old and people are STILL posting on it - with their inputs on THEIR favorite openers, based on the time they were involved in drum corps - and the DCP family has several generations here and can differ on favorite songs or favorite openers but still communicate wherever we are in the world!

One thing I've found about "openers" is that they're very different from "my day" - it used to be an Off The Line thing to "kickoff" the rest of the show, and nowadays, it seems like "openers" are different in the sense that there's no real "opener" i.e. "get your attention" with the first minute or two - today's openers seem more complex in many ways, might be a good thing, am still trying to understand it all.

My dad hated the change in drum corps when corps no longer had to start in the endzone. OTL was his favorite part of the show.

"Slaughter on 10th Avenue," Madison Scouts (1975, 1982)

"Channel One Suite," Blue Devils (1976-1977, 1986)

80 Spirit (Georgia)

Madison 1995 (El Toro Caliente)

93 BD - Open Wide

96 Madison - A Mis Abuelos

1968, 1969 Racine Kilties: Strike up the Band

"Bully," Chicago Cavaliers, 1966-1967

74 Muchachos - Pictures of Spain

"Mambo," Anaheim Kingsmen (1974)

92 VK _ Magical Mystery Tour

78 Bridgemen (Ritual Fire Dance)

"Crown Imperial March," 27th Lancers (1975-1976)

1971 SCV "Festive Overture/Procession of the Nobles" B)

Whoops Uncle Z. We played "Procession of the Nobles" '68,'69 and then added" Festive Overture" into "Procession" in '70. '71 opener was "Overture to the Globe Playhouse from Henry V".

Thanks anyway! "Festive" and "Procession" is my all time favorite opener that I got to march to.

We also played those two pieces at the Rose Parade in '04. Talk about bringing back memories. :)

Edited by MsBusDriver

Whoops Uncle Z. We played "Festive Overture/Procession of the Nobles" '68,'69 and '70. '71 opener was "Overture to the Globe Playhouse from Henry V".

pWn3d!!!!! :blink:

gotta admire a person who admits when he is wrong, even if it is only by a little.

That's OK z, you still are quite the living drum corps encyclopedia IMO...

gotta admire a person who admits when he is wrong, even if it is only by a little.

That's OK z, you still are quite the living drum corps encyclopedia IMO...

Here's what a compliment gets you.............

'79 Guardsmen "Fanfare For The New" :blink::blink: (forget Argonne!!!)

's O. K. Kiddo, that was along time ago. Thanks goodness I have my 25th Anniversary Yearbook to refresh my own memory.

Now, if I could only figure out what "pWn3d" stands for :blink: ...Don't forget, I really AM Old School :blink: