I STILL say....the greatest opener ever is........

Must concur with Strutta on Kmen's "Folk Song Suite" especially the 73 version where the line was much more clean. I play this on as pre-surf "intensity-builder" almost every morning on the way to Pismo....it's about a 14 minute ride so I'm usually well prepared to shred by the time I hit my spot in the lot....ready to kick some boo-tay!

74's Mambo was pretty hot as well. A lot of antiphonal stuff going on that year (side to side in stereo!) and when it clicked, it was ON!

RON HOUSLEY

67 Kingsmen

(wearing my alumni

T-shirt with pride!)

Edited by ffernbus3

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put me down for Cavies 1990.

HH

I'll second that.

I just watched 1990 Cavies 11 consecutive times last night on the DVD. With the surround sound jacked up to 11.

1990 had to be the best "yell" year ever, BTW. From "It's a can of corn, Cavies!" to "Oh my god the baby's burning!" during Star, the crowd entertained me that year too...

Eleven times...........

Man I bought that DVD .... I gotta go down and watch it for the first time...what did I miss?

Dude.........

As for the ride to Pismo.... I suspect I would play 74 over and over and over...March to the Gallows is probabaly rather apros po prior to a morning shred.

80's:

NBC Chimes Festival - Velvet Knights

Home On The Range - Sky Ryders

Peter Gunn - VK

Magical Mystery Tour - VK

any year - Madison Scouts

90's:

anything from Blue Devils or Phantom

Batman Theme - Freelancers

00's:

whatever it is that Esperanza is doing this season

Pure Imagination - Impulse

There's more but these just came to mind.

Edited by regularsopguy

Why is it only the 1989 version of Phantom of the Opera anyone ever talks about?????

Marcia, Marcia, MARCIA!!!!!!

I think it has something to do with 88 being a 'bride's maid' and 89 being the bride... both of them are good in my opinion.

88 was more literal and story-like. Co-ed guard wasn't as strong.

89 was built more for speed, power, and "no way we're going to lose it this year" (even though they almost did!). Brass and drums were both stronger. Guard was all female, very tight, and did less literal and more ensemble stuff.

88 told the story better and was more endearing and charismatic, while 89 was better in a "pure drum corps" sort of way.

Another big difference was that 88 started weak, had to go through some tweaking, and then came on super-strong at the end. 89 was strong out of the gate and charged to the finish line -- very nearly an undefeated season. So some probably base their assessments on these different circumstances -- the emotion and respect that come with clawing your way past the Blue Devils eventually (and in a heart-warming show) versus the juggernaut of a stellar season.

Love the ending in 88. Brilliant!

Prc 756 - I play 74 Kmen on the backroad home from said morning surf @ Pismo. Make a stop at Hiyashi's strawberry fields on Hiway 1 (the "surfers' highway") and then crank 74!

The Berlioz is one of my all time favorites!!! I love the tone cluster at the end TO DEATH! Yup, it's real shreddin' material as well.

I also play both years running up and down the mountain here in The Sierra where I have a summer cabin. Scares the deer--but it keeps the bears away.

Glad you, too, appreciate the glory that was The Anaheim Kingsmen.....for that matter, glad you dig drum corps in general....truly, it's ALL GOOD and soooooo good for you!

RON HOUSLEY

AK Alumni 67

(The first of the Rocco years)

Edited by ffernbus3

78 Phantom (Firebird Suite) - Sheer power! 78 Bridgemen (Ritual Fire Dance) -The opening horn statement is still my personal favorite. 80 BD (NY Fantasy/Ya Gotta Try) 80 Spirit (Georgia) - Does it get any better? 81 27th (Crown Imperial) 82 Madison (Slaughter on 10th Ave) -Lliked it better than 75. 83 Spirit (Los Hermanos De Bop) - After a sub-par 82, I remember turning to a friend of mine after the opening statement and both of us saying "Spirits back!". 85 SCV (Festuve Overture) and besides, who could argue that the changing pants in the tunnel angle was pretty cool. 89 Phantom (New World) - In my humble opinion still the best show that didn't win.

'75?.......Space Shuttle?.............whoa, didn't expect that one...........heh