The 2011 "Phone Books" are coming

They should have snuck the full performances in as Easter Eggs... hahaha

• Like 2

I believe the issue is that DCI doesn't want to pay the fees for the right to use the songs on "their discs" (their being DCI) ...

the corps all had to get the rights to perform the music, even the samples so the right to perform the music was paid for (or granted by the owner) by the corps ...

as "author" of the disc(s) DCI would have to pay for the use of those songs on the disc(s) ... and apparently they do not want to pay those fees, so they "edit" the parts out.

Not to go off topic here, and I guess it really isn't but...

It's a shame that the one thing that DCI has been saved by recently is now starting to hurt it: entertainment.

Back in the late 80's to late 90's, MANY corps were playing concert band, wind ensemble, etc. music that was basically MUCH easier to secure rights to perform, record, videotape, etc. (at least for the most part). However, except for the many band directors who loved it, many fans began to be turned off by the obscure choices made by the corps. Now, the corps are trying to bring fans back by performing music that fans know (i.e. Crown, Cavies, Scouts etc.) Yet, because of the difficulties in securing rights to record, DCI gets hurt in their pockets anyway because of fans NOT purchasing CD's and DVD's because their favorite corps is missing a small or large chunk of their show on the recordings. Am I right in this observation?

leed17

• Like 1

I come back from a nice St Louis Blues win and what do I find at my door...why its my DVD's. Imma save money this year and probably rip the audio from the DVD to use in the car and my iPod.

And? Are they good Quality? Are Crown and Cavies on the DVDs?

• Like 1

And? Are they good Quality? Are Crown and Cavies on the DVDs?

I contacted DCI yesterday to ask if the cuts were on the DVD/Blu-rays and they said the cuts ARE included due to licensing issues with David Bowie and Rihanna.

DCI Has had 5 months to obtain the rights to these snippets of songs ... they just don't want to spell it out that they, "DCI" are the ones who are not paying for the rights, not the Corps.

The corps had the rights or they would not have played the songs.

So while DCI has encouraged their members to be CREATIVE and ENTERTAINING from the new director of "WTF" (what'is name)... but they don't want to pay for the licensing of the content the corps come up with when it comes time to master their discs.

Edited by ashevillemurphy
  • Like 2