Who will play the new Tama line?

While these drums appear to be fantastic and extremely well made, I don't think these drums will take be able to get a big piece of the market share or be very widely used. The cost of these drums will be a ton more than ant other brand on the market right now. These drums will make Yamaha look cheap in comparison.

While they might be able to get some exposure by throwing some freebies or cheap lines to some world class corps or even some of the very top notch high school programs like Ayala High School, regular Joe Schmo high school in the middle of Illinois or Ohio will not be able to afford these drums. I've heard of them being compared to Mercedes. People love Mercedes and thing they are extremely well made cars but not very many people can afford a Mercedes. In my mind from a business model standpoint, I'm not sure that Tama can sell enough of these to be profitable and if they have any longevity in the market, it will probably be subsidized by their profits in the drum set market.

It will be interesting to see how they market their new marching line. Tama makes some of the very best drums (if not the very best) and their marching line is no different. Pearl and Yamaha make good stuff but neither company makes anything that compares with Tama's Starclassic Maple drums and their marching drums are of that same quality. Dye Nasty isn't even close.

• Like 1

While these drums appear to be fantastic and extremely well made, I don't think these drums will take be able to get a big piece of the market share or be very widely used. The cost of these drums will be a ton more than ant other brand on the market right now. These drums will make Yamaha look cheap in comparison.

While they might be able to get some exposure by throwing some freebies or cheap lines to some world class corps or even some of the very top notch high school programs like Ayala High School, regular Joe Schmo high school in the middle of Illinois or Ohio will not be able to afford these drums. I've heard of them being compared to Mercedes. People love Mercedes and thing they are extremely well made cars but not very many people can afford a Mercedes. In my mind from a business model standpoint, I'm not sure that Tama can sell enough of these to be profitable and if they have any longevity in the market, it will probably be subsidized by their profits in the drum set market.

A Mercedes is only expensive if you only keep it a few years. The thing is, they can run for hundreds of thousands of miles if you take good care of it... making it one of the cheapest cars out there over the long haul.

Though no one really knows and can only guess based on quality of previous products, I suspect these things can go the distance. In that case, they are cheaper. Though... will agree they need keyboards and timpani to be able to really compete.

• Like 1

Wow. The Tama Snares Drums look great & have some unique features like the easily removable snare bed.

They are also insanely heavy compared to other manufacturers (at least the prototype snare that I messed around with a year ago).

That being said, Tama does make great drums, and I'll be interested in seeing how much they are, if keyboard products come out as well, etc.

A Mercedes is only expensive if you only keep it a few years. The thing is, they can run for hundreds of thousands of miles if you take good care of it... making it one of the cheapest cars out there over the long haul.

Though no one really knows and can only guess based on quality of previous products, I suspect these things can go the distance. In that case, they are cheaper. Though... will agree they need keyboards and timpani to be able to really compete.

While that may be true, I've never seen a drum corps or a high school treat their drums like a Mercedes.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how they market their new marching line. Tama makes some of the very best drums (if not the very best) and their marching line is no different. Pearl and Yamaha make good stuff but neither company makes anything that compares with Tama's Starclassic Maple drums and their marching drums are of that same quality. Dye Nasty isn't even close.

Basically all of the top of the line drums (Pearl Masterworks, Tama Starclassic, Yamaha Maple/Birch Custom) are of the same quality. The big selling point to me about these drums is the finishes and that chrome hardware is standard. That's a really nice perk. I've checked out the harnesses and hardware, and they look like they will have a lot of the same problems that Randall May has: everything is adjustable, so everything will eventually become loose. Over-adjustability is not necessarily a good thing.

I got a chance to mess with some of these drums at PASIC this weekend, and got to hear Avon play them as well. I have to say, they sound great from what I could hear in their performances. The new tech and features that they are offering are intriguing. The guy there mentioned that they are in negotiations with a company to offer front equipment, but that nothing is set in stone yet. The finishes look good, and the drums they had in the booth sounded great. The adjustable dampening on the snare system was a favorite among the features (no more taping). On the other hand, the tenors make me a little nervous. The system is set up to be adjustable, so that you can change the relationship of the drums to each other. That seems like it would be a cool system, except that (as others have mentioned) you don't always want things like that to be adjustable. One of the chief complaints that people have about Pearl tenors is that they get out of alignment too easily. That could potentially be a concern with the Tama stuff. I really think the company that has the tenors set up figured out is Dynasty.

Pearl and Yamaha still have the market cornered. I'd probably give Tama a good third based on their snares, alone. The Mapex line has potential; but needs some work, so I'd rank them a solid fourth. Dynasty, Ludwig, and Premier can all go the way of Slingerland, Stingray, and Remo.

Edited by shortn'sour