The DCI Birthday party

I must have missed the excitement. What got John's undies in a bunch?

me thinks he took our jesting with Plan about his...uh...assets as secretary and innuendo, when really, we were busting on BD

I'm not sure what qualifies as a dinosaur. I first marched in 1973, so as much as I would like to avoid it, I believe I qualify. I also firmly believe that the comments I am about to make represent a large portion of my generation despite their conflict with other sentiment expressed within this thread.

I love watching and listening to drum corps from my era. It was and is kick arse drum corps. But I also have loved the development in DCI over the past 30 years. I can't state the following strong enough; as much as I love corps from my era I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK. Corps today is different for sure but it is also spectacular. Some I don't care for so much, but I could say the same thing in the 70's. But when I like it, I like it a lot.

Once in a while I dream I am back in college. Despite the fact that I had some of the best times of my life there, I always feel out of place in those dreams. I can't go back. Different times. The same holds true with drum corps for me. Cherish the past but embrace the future.

Bottom line I just wanted to post a different perspective from a qualified dinosaur.

• Like 7

I'm not sure what qualifies as a dinosaur. I first marched in 1973, so as much as I would like to avoid it, I believe I qualify. I also firmly believe that the comments I am about to make represent a large portion of my generation despite their conflict with other sentiment expressed within this thread.

I love watching and listening to drum corps from my era. It was and is kick arse drum corps. But I also have loved the development in DCI over the past 30 years. I can't state the following strong enough; as much as I love corps from my era I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK. Corps today is different for sure but it is also spectacular. Some I don't care for so much, but I could say the same thing in the 70's. But when I like it, I like it a lot.

Once in a while I dream I am back in college. Despite the fact that I had some of the best times of my life there, I always feel out of place in those dreams. I can't go back. Different times. The same holds true with drum corps for me. Cherish the past but embrace the future.

Bottom line I just wanted to post a different perspective from a qualified dinosaur.

:thumbup:

• Like 2

:thumbup:

btw, your pic in your sig isn't showing a "local" drum corps. it's showing a DCA corps from the early 80's.Things in DCA have changed quite a bit too

• Like 2

In a recent Post on farcebook to my Brothers in the Classic Cavaliers, I said

"So...2012 marks the 40th Anniversary (or 41st; DCI is not famous for being good with numbers; - i.e. "Samurai", " "Mad World", "XtraordinarY") of the formation of DCI. And we are asked to participate in some sort of celebration of the birth of a monster that Dr. Frankenstein would have aborted. Ask Don Warren what he thinks of this abomination he helped create. While I realize that more of you marched DCI than we "Dinosaurs" (and we get fewer annually), you can't honestly tell me that it was the ultimate Drum Corps dream as initially hoped. It turned my Corps into a multi-million $ money hungry entity continually begging for every red cent anyone could offer. Celebrate DCI? I would sooner (get ready for a gross exaggeration) host a Hitler Retrospective in Jerusalem. I cannot, in good conscience, be part of any event in its honor - nor be a member of an organization that would, no matter how politically expedient that may be."

I fully expect Flames Galore from them...and you. But one of the advantages of approaching the Finish Line is the Knowledge that you left it all out on the field, holding nothing back.

Tired of my "Rants"? Be patient, kids. I'll soon be among so many Brothers & Sisters in that Ultimate Corps....."Somewhere Over The Rainbow".

Wow.... Hitler in the first post? You've just divided Godwin's Law by zero. Impressive.

• Like 2

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

LOL!

You cads!

At least he didn't say "park and blow". :rolleyes:

And without DCI, we'd probably be reduced to 400 smaller neighborhood Corps filled with untalented street kids learning some new Arts, Teamwork, and Discipline, forging friendships that last a lifetime, and creating Allegiance to a group that goes further than a Summer entry on their resumes. What a terrifying concept!

Actually... would be reduced to zero.

There is one concept you might not be grasping... drum corps is decades behind most other arts and entertainment activities and evolves at a snails pace in comparison. It is not the administrators and designers that are pushing this forward, it is the kids...

KIDS WANT NEW.... KIDS WANT THEIRS... SOMETHING UNIQUELY THEIR OWN.

Kids don't want to do exactly the same thing the generation before them did or to did in the same way. They are drawn to what is NOW.

If anything, it is the old guys that are running corps and designing that are actually holding back progress and hanging on to traditions... if the energy, creativity and fresh view of youth could be properly channeled, focused and practically applied... the activity would be doing something radically different.

As it is... drum corps only appeals to a microscopic slice of the youth population... it simply doesn't connect with the majority of youth out there. This is too bad, because I believe the experience is unbelievable valuable... infinitely more valuable than any traditions associated with it.

So, in that context... if what really matters is providing the valuable life experience to as many youth as possible... shouldn't the activity more rapidly evolve in a way to resonate with and appeal to as many kids out there as possible?

Let's just put this into a bit of perspective here...

... that most wouldn't even recognize as even being associated with the Blue Devils at all.... has almost 10,000,000 unique views... ALL over the world... MOSTLY BY YOUTH.

This single video has reached more people than the Blue Devils organization has in the entire existence of the organization. As a result, this video has likely inspired more kids around the world to pick up a pair of sticks or learn to play an instrument than all of the rest of the activity of the Blue Devils organization throughout the years combined.

Now... as much as I love that organization and as much as I dug the stuff we did back when I was a kid... this shows the real potential of a modified form of the art that has so much more potential to reach youth than in the current form. On the topic... while I dug the first bit of the quirky series of recruiting videos The Cadets made... what if they had used that time, energy, attention, creativity and production value and instead produced short videos like this that engaged ALL youth... recruited kids to participate in music... any sort of music... to simply engage in SOMETHING?

Back to the point... if you are complaining about drum corps being dead to you.... complaining that it isn't somehow magically frozen in time... not only is that view entirely unrealistic, it is unbelievably selfish... and a bit sad.

One powerful memory I have as a young kid was sitting near the entrance of a grocery store absolutely mesmerized by incredible new Asteroids machine near the door. I was absolutely amazed by it, but didn't have any money. An old guy came out of the check out, seeing me standing there, the look on my face.... dropped a quarter in the machine... told me he had the same look when he was my age and pinball machines came out.... and motioned for me to play. Though he likely didn't care much for Asteroids or even understand it... he understood that feeling and helped me have my turn. A simple, sympathetic generosity that sort of stuck with me.

What I'm getting at... it isn't important that you get the current state of the activity or even like it... but it is the current generations turn... so you can either shut up and watch, drop a quarter and see a kid's eyes light up just as yours did or walk out the ####### door.

Pick one, please, because I'm more than tired of seeing selfish old geezers keep spoiling kids' turn.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 3

After reading some posts on here... its very clear to me that the person who started this hated the fact that DCI started in general. He must have been very big on the VFW and American Legion. At least that's what i'm getting from him. The only thing that doesn't make any logical sense to me is that he is reminding us what Don Warren did and what not, which is great because I love history, but lets not forget that he also was one of the founders of DCI.

In other words just ignore him. I love DCI too much for him to affect me in any way.

• Like 2

btw, your pic in your sig isn't showing a "local" drum corps. it's showing a DCA corps from the early 80's.Things in DCA have changed quite a bit too

Meh. Did they tour nationally with members from across the world? Or was it way nerdier than today's marching bands. I rest my case. :xmas:

• Like 1