Cavies Sans Gaines?

The organization has a method of doing things, and even though MGaines' contributions to the corps have been huge, they haven't existed in a vacuum. Given that every other caption head and designer is still there, and that Koter is still program coordinator, it's unlikely that you'll see a swing out of the orbit they've been in for the last 25 years.

I agree they won't plummet 'out of orbit'.

IDK -- maybe I just can't imagine a Cavies show without Michael Gaines design. His impact on every caption was tremendous. It's hard to believe his absence will have no effect on the competitiveness of their design.

I hope he returns to DCI soon -- his genius will be missed.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

Love to hear from all the "0 - no effect" voters.

FWIW I think it costs the Cavies in two ways:

1) Effect from drill. Lots of the best moments in a Cavies shows are straight effect from drill.

2) Effect from guard staging. IMO no one is even close to Mr. Gaines in this category. The guard contribution to the show is magnified tremendously when they're in the right place at the right time. Additionally the Cavies guard also participates in "real drill" far more than any other guard in DCI.

I get that nothing else is changing and that all the *other* things that made the Cavies successful are still in place

But (IMO at least) ...

In a lot of respects, Gaines *was* the Cavies identity.

Which years did you march Cavs? Seeing as you know all about their identity.

C'mon, people. NO drum corps is defined by their on-field product.

• Like 2

Which years did you march Cavs? Seeing as you know all about their identity.

C'mon, people. NO drum corps is defined by their on-field product.

Wow that's pretty nit-picking as I think it was clear from context that I was referring strictly to their "on-field" identity.

• Like 1

I think the program will certainly look different. Hinshaw's writing is not in the same style as Gaines. However, we're talking about one of the most intelligently run programs in the country. I'm sure there will be a ton of communication between the new writer and the current visual staff, which I want to say is largely the same as it was last year. The entire staff will collaborate as they always do, and the product will be just as high quality, albeit different from recent years. I don't think the difference will be significant enough that we will be able to attribute any loss of placement in the standings to it.

• Like 1

Well this is a big hit for The Cavaliers... but remember this is The Cavaliers we are talking about. I am sure the staff will be strong! I remember back in 2010 a few folks didn't have much faith in the green machine because they had a new staff. And they placed 2nd in finals. Even when cavies lost Sausado that was a big hit but I think the music is still great and powerful just like Sausado's work. What i'm trying to say is, lets just wait and see what happens.

• Like 1

Is that Mr. Gaines behind the tiger?

Or a visual judge so at peace with the corps' drill perfection that he felt compelled to disrobe? :blink:

I'm not sure, but I know that at the time of the photo, the new Michael Cesario-designed fig leaves had not yet come in.

• Like 3

I don't think it will be anything catastrophic. As I understand it, Michael Gaines left only temporarily (If I'm wrong, please correct me).

For all we know, the drill might be just as good with the new guy, or at the very least passable.

• Like 1