Restructuring the DCI BOD

not really Jeff, I saw other than the so called 17 and there wasnt much of any exposure with those corps to much of anyone.

I'm not just talking fans.

I'm a business...I want my rpoduct seen by as many people as possible.

now with 40+ corps, you will have a better chance of being seen by administrators and teachers whoc an word of mouth. by parents whoc an word of mouth to teachers and administrators.

there is so much more to visibility than just the ####### top dogs and whose ### in the seats when they go on. Well there is if you run like a business.

whos watching. listening or even caring....the stands and support show different.We arent a big activity and in todays world people are gonna spend the money on nothing but the best....Again the empty seats and lack of support have shown that. I purposly ( when given a few minutes ) sat and watched some lower class WC and some OC just to lend support, especially to new up and coming staff and they always talk abolut performing to no one. People need to change this attitude and not just on news groups to change the perception.

see above

More extensive tour, broader reach. Food services operations for WC also tend to be a bit more equipped and tend to be more experienced, due to longer hauls, more time on the road, etc.

Pepsi doesnt put the machines in the big markets. they put their machines in as many markets as possible. the more expsore you have, the higher your sales can be.

just limiting yourself to certain areas limits your exposure.

• Like 1

see above

those people just like at shows are flocking to certain rehearsals only, if at all, and if its any school staff maybe 1 band director. I was with a top 12 and also a corps not in the top 12 and to tell ya the truth I remember maybe 2 or 3 rehearsals all summer on tour where there were people . A corps gets in very late or early AM, sleep a few hours then rehearse some, then show ,then out to new location. Maybe 2 times through the summer stay more than a day. Even then maybe a handfull of spectators ..total... but even if there were many more do you really think that Drum corps would or could influence any school official...I dont at all. Most people dont want more work even if it means spending less. ever see a government budget what they spend for toliet paper? I have, its all about relationships , not saving , many times( Most times)

Edited by GUARDLING

Pepsi doesnt put the machines in the big markets. they put their machines in as many markets as possible. the more expsore you have, the higher your sales can be.

just limiting yourself to certain areas limits your exposure.

actually jeff I have a friend working for pepsi( in sales) and he told me that they have pulled alot of machines in 2011 for lack of sales and are trying to make better offers to some large contracts to take their products over coke when contracts are up...he also told me machines must produce and an order for the product MUST go in to office every month or machines are pulled ( not cost effective).We have got in this mindset in this country that more is better and that simply isnt true.....but i do think seachering out some good deals is always worth a try....Just sayin.

Edited by GUARDLING

those people just like at shows are flocking to certain rehearsals only, if at all, and if its any school staff maybe 1 band director. I was with a top 12 and also a corps not in the top 12 and to tell ya the truth I remember maybe 2 or 3 rehearsals all summer on tour where there were people . A corps gets in very late or early AM, sleep a few hours then rehearse some, then show ,then out to new location. Maybe 2 times through the summer stay more than a day. Even then maybe a handfull of spectators ..total... but even if there were many more do you really think that Drum corps would or could influence any school official...I dont at all. Most people dont want more work even if it means spending less. ever see a government budget what they spend for toliet paper? I have, its all about relationships , not saving , many times( Most times)

ever hear the phrase there's no such thing as bad PR?

If someone came to me with a deal for DCI to cut costs, and they wanted 17 corps to show it off, and 2 minutes looking at their website showed me 40+ corps, I'd ask why not all 40+.

Here's the problem.....Daniel doesnt want to acknowledge anything past #17, so won't ask. Problem is, there IS more to DCI than those 17.

i'm not just talking ##### in the seats as I said above, but you ignored that part.

actually jeff I have a friend working for pepsi( in sales) and he told me that they have pulled alot of machines in 2011 for lack of sales and are trying to make better offers to some large contracts to take their products over coke when contracts are up...he also told me machines must produce and an order for the product MUST go in to office every month or machines are pulled ( not cost effective).We have got in this mindset in this country that more is better and that simply isnt true.....but i do think seachering out some good deals is always worth a try....Just sayin.

well...Pepsi sucks anyways :tongue:

but...looking at a deal for food...wouldnt be able to supply 40 corps be better for the bottom line than 17?

but...looking at a deal for food...wouldnt be able to supply 40 corps be better for the bottom line than 17?

dont ignore any of your post..others YES ,,for sure. I totally get what you are saying as an interest to get a company to buy on and in the case of food there may be a little BUT I still believe we are nothing more than scraps and could be more of a headache to many companies. Other than within our own world we arent the draw or the importance of lets say cheerleading...lol..or dance competitions :w00t:and alot less of a following

Edited by GUARDLING

Wait, I don't think so. Look at the facts:

Average corps spend about $800 on food per day. Dan's contention is that the cost of that food is something like $300, and getting suppliers access to schools is a way to leverage their needs vs. corps' needs. So let's say that the cost to the supplier is something like $17000, instead of the $60,000 average that corps spend. Great.

The partner company has a budget to apply to this effort; let's call it $100m. That would suggest 4 or 5 corps to support in hopes of getting one school to sign on from the, roughly, 100 or so that those corps will visit over the summer. Which corps do you suspect the partner will choose to support in the effort? BD, or Pio?

(this is a very interesting point for which I have a number of different responses, but let's see where it goes...)

Imagine that BD is staying at a school, where there's going to be a six-corps show that night, with four WC corps. What sort of exposure can the partner food company get? Who will come to that show? If the point is to get the school food people to the truck, does it matter who's at the show?

Now imagine the same scenario with Teal, at a show where there will be a 6-corps show that night, but they'll all be OC corps. The partner sends the buyer to the food truck to see, smell, and taste the samples. Is the buyer influenced in any way by the fact that it's an OC show?

Is a WC, top 17 show actually better at selling food to the school than a totally OC show?

EDIT: Wait, did I just make an argument in support of Ream? Holy Crap.

Edited by garfield

Getting way to micro on this.

It's just an idea... no need to go deeper into on this board.

Only point in sharing it here, or at all, is that it might inspire some different paths of thinking of ways to solicit support from a bit different approach than donation or traditional sponsorship.

Boy, you crapped out here...

My idea is to get corps to march vertically. But it's only an idea. Don't take it seriously and don't get too deep. It's only any idea to get the juices flowing.

B.S The details are important and you can illuminate without exposing.

So this food company is interested in partnering with a few corps...

I'm interested in the partnership that makes this happen. Is it a DCI partnership? Or is this a deal that is struck with a few of the top (ahem...hand-picked) corps who want to try the gig?