Restructuring the DCI BOD

Boy, you crapped out here...

My idea is to get corps to march vertically. But it's only an idea. Don't take it seriously and don't get too deep. It's only any idea to get the juices flowing.

B.S The details are important and you can illuminate without exposing.

So this food company is interested in partnering with a few corps...

I'm interested in the partnership that makes this happen. Is it a DCI partnership? Or is this a deal that is struck with a few of the top (ahem...hand-picked) corps who want to try the gig?

From an advertising standpoint... Would said food company prefer to state that they fed the World Champion Drum and Bugle Corps and FUELED THEM ONTO VICTORY or would they prefer to say they fed some kids in a marching unit that faired pretty well competetively?

From an advertising standpoint... Would said food company prefer to state that they fed the World Champion Drum and Bugle Corps and FUELED THEM ONTO VICTORY or would they prefer to say they fed some kids in a marching unit that faired pretty well competetively?

Sorry, but the nutritional needs of a typical school child are drastically different than that of a top-12 drum corps MM. That's not much of a marketing message. "And what the H-ell is drum and bugle corps again?"

If the point is to get the school buyers to the chuck wagon, what is the point of marketing that it's BD's truck and not Pio's? "We don't make the stinking food for that stinkin' corps!" Really?

Edited by garfield

Besides the name change, it seem GH is interested in offering opportunities to bands of all levels of performance.

Anyone besides me see the disconnect with his actions towards DCI structure?

Zag.

Read

Edited by garfield

I see what youre saying and I think you are right ( other than I dont think any drum corps has enough clout to be a major draw to sponsor anything other than what we mainly use like drum heads, uniforms, guard equipment etc etc.)

BUT As I said I think youre right. Wheaties doesnt put the last place athletic or team on their box.( just an example, before one of you decides to investigate the History of wheaties..lol :rolleyes:

Edited by GUARDLING

I see what youre saying and I think you are right ( other than I dont think any drum corps has enough clout to be a major draw to sponsor anything other than what we mainly use like drum heads, uniforms, guard equipment etc etc.)

BUT As I said I think youre right. Wheaties doesnt put the last place athletic or team on their box.( just an example, before one of you decides to investigate the History of wheaties..lol :rolleyes:

True. However, let's say General Mills (Wheaties) is wanting to donate product; and we present an appeal to help either a 501c3 corps that really needs support in feeding youth nutritious meals, or a 501c3 corps that is already bringing in over $6 million per year and just purchased a $450k food trailer. (and then we tell them that we will make a public service announcement on tv and radio concerning which organization they are donating their product). I think that they would choose the former over the latter.

True. However, let's say General Mills (Wheaties) is wanting to donate product; and we present an appeal to help either a 501c3 corps that really needs support in feeding youth nutritious meals, or a 501c3 corps that is already bringing in over $6 million per year and just purchased a $450k food trailer. (and then we tell them that we will make a public service announcement on tv and radio concerning which organization they are donating their product). I think that they would choose the former over the latter.

I see what your saying But just dont think Drum corps at any cost has the clout and never will..Hell we couldnt stay on PBS.......I think general mills will give to a food bank before a corps and that will bring attention to them not a bunch of non school bandos......but hell I would love to see someone try. I could maybe see Cadets pulling something like this off and not because of the Cadets status but the band end of it.

Edited by GUARDLING

I see what your saying But just dont think Drum corps at any cost has the clout and never will..Hell we couldnt stay on PBS.......I think general mills will give to a food bank before a corps and that will bring attention to them not a bunch of non school bandos......but hell I would love to see someone try. I could maybe see Cadets pulling something like this off and not because of the Cadets status but the band end of it.

Lost PBS because our own people jilted the network by calling in pledges then failing to send in the money. As for getting food donations, or any donations for that matter, it just takes tenacity, tenacity, tenacity; if not General Mills, Post, if not Post, a local store brand, and taking 100 no's for every one yes. Or, you do the D-Ray easy way and kill off thirty corps then pilfer their resources.

Sorry, but the nutritional needs of a typical school child are drastically different than that of a top-12 drum corps MM. That's not much of a marketing message. "And what the H-ell is drum and bugle corps again?"

To add to that, I would guess that average administrator would think there is much of a legit logistical correlation between being able to feed a touring drum corps (which serves meals to maybe 300 people per meal) to being able to feed a high school (which potentially 2000 + per meal).

This is an interesting idea, don't get me wrong: it's beneficial to think outside the traditional cost saving/revenue generating avenues already in practice. But the problem with ours being an extremely niche activity is that there are super limited ways drum corps can cross over to the mainstream. This idea would take a school administrator who is

a) willing to also think outside the box to even consider a fairly unorthodox idea

and

b) one who is smart enough to recognize the (potential: as with other ideas of this time the plan is painted in such broad strokes I think it's fare to say there is currently very little data to legitimately stipulate that this is a significant cost-saving measure/business venture for all drum corps & food service company involved) long-term financial savings.

I think general mills will give to a food bank before a corps and that will bring attention to them not a bunch of non school bandos

This is a great point. My mom used to work as a business loan officer at a top national bank (she was a VP). I've talked to her several times over the last 10ish years trying to convince her to convince her bank to donate to drum corps/WGI groups. She's said time and time again that not only is it a super risky venture (I've also inquired about loans to non-profits which she said are the riskiest type of loans unless the non-profit is a church with proven revenue stream thanks to its donating members) but not one that doesn't offer the sort of publicity/exposure that donating to a more mainstream charity would deliver.

Lost PBS because our own people jilted the network by calling in pledges then failing to send in the money. As for getting food donations, or any donations for that matter, it just takes tenacity, tenacity, tenacity; if not General Mills, Post, if not Post, a local store brand, and taking 100 no's for every one yes. Or, you do the D-Ray easy way and kill off thirty corps then pilfer their resources.

youre right about PBS but also because it didnt warrent for the amount of viewers. Read below on what another posters experience is with non profits and how people percieve Drum Corps. There are to many good charities out there trying to cure the world of many things and drum corps doesnt have an audiance close to it. I am on 3 boards of Non profits and getting anything is a challenge with a far better cause than I want to travel and play. Schools dont even give up facilities for a rehearsal anymore nor do churches..many winter guards and opercussion pay inexcess of 15 grand just to rehearse in a caferteria. Its a new world and not the one we grew up in .If thing any business asks a non profit is " Whats in it for me " this is fact.