Restructuring the DCI BOD

Just food for thought....

With most competitive things in life, there is no 21st place... but usually only 4th or maybe 5th at the most.

Can you name the 21st place mobile phone manufacturer? The 21st place computer operating system developer? The 21st place soft drink company? The 21st place auto manufacturer?

Add another class and have more fierce competition for the top positions in each

due to the big eating the small, is there even 21 companies making cell phones?

so if you want the big eating the small in DCI, you'll be left with 10 corps

• Like 1

Thanks Bob, point conceded to you and Audiodb.

Here's another question or two:

What happens when the season is "settled up" and there is a balance left (better attendance than is expected)? Is that money distributed to the corps as well?

It is not an automatic "dividend". But, yes, the corps often expect additional funds if the surplus is large enough.

In this agreement isn't it reasonable to think that what the corps are "guaranteed" is less than the average expectation?

No, I would not say that. The pay that is guaranteed already includes a rather large pool of cash that assumes certain revenue and net income results. These pay assumptions are maxed out based on anticipated revenue. In other words, the "dividends" are paid out before the profits are generated. (This is not my opinion. I've heard it described this way by a corps director.)

Finally, what happens when there's a shortfall? DCI simply shows the deficit on it's balance sheet and the corps are blameless? Yet the corps have control over how DCI actually run the season, then the ability to bi*ch if the staff "underperforms".

Beyond the bi*ching: sometimes a small Group of corps (maybe >6 and <8) will talk amongst themselves and one of them might put together a proposal that includes firing 50% of those "underperformers" so that even more money can be freed up to go to the corps.

If I'm seeing it correctly, well, umm, interesting.

Interesting indeed.

• Like 2

Beyond the bi*ching: sometimes a small Group of corps (maybe >6 and <8) will talk amongst themselves and one of them might put together a proposal that includes firing 50% of those "underperformers" so that even more money can be freed up to go to the corps.

:spitting:

due to the big eating the small, is there even 21 companies making cell phones?

so if you want the big eating the small in DCI, you'll be left with 10 corps

A bit more than 10, but we really don't need as many as now. Better to have fewer corps all performing at the highest level.

There are some corps out there right now that aren't even on the level of the average school marching band. This isn't the fault of the kids that are participating, but the staff of the organization.

There should be a minimum standard for participation.

A bit more than 10, but we really don't need as many as now. Better to have fewer corps all performing at the highest level.

There are some corps out there right now that aren't even on the level of the average school marching band. This isn't the fault of the kids that are participating, but the staff of the organization.

There should be a minimum standard for participation.

With no personal disrespect intended: sarcasm, or are you for real? A "minimum standard for participation?" I thought we were trying to encourage participation, not restrict it. Am I missing your point somehow?

Fred O.

spitting.gifspitting.gifwhistle.giffight.gif

With no personal disrespect intended: sarcasm, or are you for real? A "minimum standard for participation?" I thought we were trying to encourage participation, not restrict it. Am I missing your point somehow?

Fred O.

Participation on a higher level than what most scholastic marching bands can provide. I'm all for as much of that as possible. Otherwise.... what's the point?

Fred O.

Actually, that's the whole basis of World Class - the criteria for participation is a minimum standard of execution. Personally, I think there ought to be a higher threshold for a top division, but there's now another topic for that.

Mike

Participation on a higher level than what most scholastic marching bands can provide. I'm all for as much of that as possible. Otherwise.... what's the point?

For one thing, to serve the other 80%....kids that aren't at a HS with a competitive marching band program.

Edited by audiodb