Punkin Chunkin

The stories and drama of the kids trying to make the corps and survive. Do you think the average non-DC viewer can tell the difference in quality of performance between an OC MM and a WC MM?

In fact, the drama of the underdog, the under-privaledged, the rookie is even more compelling than the drama of a 5th year vet again going through tryouts at the same corps.

I don't disagree that some OC performances are a half step (or less) above a winning BOA group but, apparently, even the top-finishers aren't attracting new and larger crowds so the emphasis must be on the wrong thing. Forget the placement and the scores. It doesn't sell.

I contend that the story of the rookie 15 year old is as compelling as the 5th year OC vet making his first try for the big leagues.

The major problem with that premise is that it ignores one basic fact of TV programming...the drama tv programs want to show is more along the lines of someone on the brink of financial ruin, or working in a highly dangerous environment (think Deadliest Catch), and especially of confrontation...the kind of drama that would kill a corps' efforts to field their show.

I'd rather not sacrifice the activity on the Holy Altar of television if that's the result.

Building a human interest piece about the tenor with wet macular degeneration who marched 06 Cadets and 07 BD? Sure...you could get a good 10-15 minute feature off of him....but building an ongoing show??? If it's going to hurt thr activity, no thank you.

The major problem with that premise is that it ignores one basic fact of TV programming...the drama tv programs want to show is more along the lines of someone on the brink of financial ruin, or working in a highly dangerous environment (think Deadliest Catch), and especially of confrontation...the kind of drama that would kill a corps' efforts to field their show.

I'd rather not sacrifice the activity on the Holy Altar of television if that's the result.

Building a human interest piece about the tenor with wet macular degeneration who marched 06 Cadets and 07 BD? Sure...you could get a good 10-15 minute feature off of him....but building an ongoing show??? If it's going to hurt thr activity, no thank you.

youre right i think. I also think there would never be enough intrest with the general public, who wants to follow around a band kid and a sponsor pay to watch it. And dont compare this to a mainstream activity. We arent that and never have been....like that or not

The stories and drama of the kids trying to make the corps and survive. Do you think the average non-DC viewer can tell the difference in quality of performance between an OC MM and a WC MM?

In fact, the drama of the underdog, the under-privaledged, the rookie is even more compelling than the drama of a 5th year vet again going through tryouts at the same corps.

I don't disagree that some OC performances are a half step (or less) above a winning BOA group but, apparently, even the top-finishers aren't attracting new and larger crowds so the emphasis must be on the wrong thing. Forget the placement and the scores. It doesn't sell.

I contend that the story of the rookie 15 year old is as compelling as the 5th year OC vet making his first try for the big leagues.

and who would watch this...the general public? I dont think so at all, Drum corps people? MAYBE... I know I dont think I would,,,,been there done that, we see it 1st hand all the time. I remember when DCI was on PBS and many hated it because of the cutting into rehearals, bus stuff, some sob story...people didnt want that , they wanted to see a full show.

Edited by GUARDLING

For the most part, people tend to respect anything with difficulty, competition, intensity. Which is all in drum corps.

Also, there was a documentary...the Life of Jenks or Jenkins or World of Jenks or something on MtV a few years ago that was popular. Basically, a documentary maker went into different situations and live life with a rock star for a week, or a gangster, or an autistic kid, to learn how the experience was. One episode was a marching band kid, if I remember right. And people loved that show. Just do something like their 16 and pregnant show format wise but take the outlook Of the other show and apply it to drum corps.

... Seems they're willing to put anything, ANYTHING, on in prime time. They won't fall for drum corps?...

Let's talk about that. Not about what's on. About what's not.

There's little or no drum corps or marching band. Got that. There are few jazz bands on TV. Few symphony orchestras. Few operas. (We're talking commercial television here.) No wind ensemble. College bands have been excised from the football broadcast almost entirely. Ballet isn't there. In fact, dance as a medium by itself has been largely relegated to hip hop/modern competition a la "So You Think You Can Dance."

The pattern is instructive. TV is willing to put almost ANYTHING on. But not us. TV, by and large, doesn't want us ... or those like us.

You don't need me to tic off the reasons. Nerdy. Not hip. Call it whatever you want but punkin chuckin like pumpkin cooking is cooler than band in the camera's eye.

And maybe that's not entirely wrong. We all know our activity doesn't translate well to the small screen and small speakers.

Telling a "bando" reality story that would appeal to ... well ... bandos and maybe even advertisers isn't such an easy proposition either. With 150 or more potential cast members over 12 or more weeks and dozens of locations, it's a daunting task. Even if you can narrow your focus to a handful of individuals over just a few shooting days, how can you make sure your production investment will yield a compelling story?

The Cadets 2011 tour video is magical. If you haven't seen it, you should. Yet its two hours of video were winnowed from shoots made by two videographers working full-time from May to August. And I'd bet that among those two hours, there's maybe 40 minutes or fewer that might work for a mass market audience. Not many production crews will be willing to make that investment for the modest rates advertising to bandos might command.

Sorry for the bummer post. It's raining here. And drum corps is many months away. ...Maybe if I watch that tour video again I'll perk up.

HH

Some take the phrase a little too seriously? Yep, as in: George Hopkins, David Gibbs, Jeff Fiedler, ...

yes...why?

Because it's their activity.

to major league baseball, DCI means nothing. It's the major league of marching arts and it's related activities. Not the major league of all activities ever created.

• Like 1

If you want to use that reasoning, then Punkin Chunkin is actually the Major League of that activity.

and it is.

you underestimate the power of what will actually draw ratings on TV Stu. Some of what is the higest rated stuff on tv is intellecutal drivel compared to DCI....but it draws.

DCI has not proven to appeal outside of the activity. Some of it may be show design. Some of it is the "marching band" stigma.

Shame the world has to be so black and white for you that you miss so much of it is really gray

• Like 1

and it is.

you underestimate the power of what will actually draw ratings on TV Stu. Some of what is the higest rated stuff on tv is intellecutal drivel compared to DCI....but it draws.

DCI has not proven to appeal outside of the activity. Some of it may be show design. Some of it is the "marching band" stigma.

Shame the world has to be so black and white for you that you miss so much of it is really gray

Fire, explosions, giant robots, destruction, catfights, crying, adultery, medium-sized robots, smoke, tigers, snookie, magic, menudo... that is just the short list of what DCI could consider adding if they're going to play.

and it is.

You do not know me personally at all, so how can you determine that I see everything as black/white? Taste, for example, is very relative; so is entertainment. However, the phrase Major League (in every claimed Major League activity except DCI) applies to actual Paid Adult Professionals, not only as coaches/instructors, but as Paid Adult Professional Players/Performers. So yeah, to me, the Professional term Major League does not come close to describing the DCI activity.

Edited by Stu

Fire, explosions, giant robots, destruction, catfights, crying, adultery, medium-sized robots, smoke, tigers, snookie, magic, menudo... that is just the short list of what DCI could consider adding if they're going to play.

You're really describing BD's show for next year, aren't you?

tongue.gif

• Like 1