The Bridgemen Alumni Official Finals Week Petition

Apart from not getting the alumni thing in the first place, I just don't seem to understand doing essentially the same thing that was done 30 years ago, only dirtier and half as good.

Why does Bridgmen alumni need to be frozen in time, rehashing the same tired tunes? Why not do something new, contemporary, but with the same attitude and in the DCA circuit?

was the epitome of cool... Chet Baker in the 80's fumbling through those same tired tunes... 30 years later... a mere shadow of the legend... difficult to watch.

The average age of an alumni corps makes competition pretty tough. drill is too advanced. Oh and Bridgemen and others are totally doing rehash. Always some new twists on things. I'll go on record and predict Bayonne won't do the company front on their knees in the civil War Suite this year. Why? Too hard getting up and down.

Yet fans that stay to watch alumni corps, at least the best of them, always get their moneys worth. Cabs Alumni year in and year out gets the best reaction of the night. Bridgemen isn't that far behind.

Fans like the trip down memory lane. Up until last year, fans complained about the music competing corps used...hello Alumni corps to fill the void and send people home happy.

Maybe you should watch a few, then you'd get it. But then again, in your eyes, once done, forever trash right?

• Like 3

Star alumni playing when you wish upon a star was cheesy but it was still very entertaining.

perhaps more than one alumni corps could play, 10 minutes each.

STAR ALUMNI WAS VERY CLASY AND WELL DONE.

A bit different than the BRIDGEMEN Alumni corps.

As for the age of the Bridgemen alumni corps all DCA corps have older membership as well as some young ones and d the BRIDGEMEN.

COMPETE. there are not enough DCA corps as it is.

GO A CLASS.

• Like 3

Maybe you should watch a few, then you'd get it. But then again, in your eyes, once done, forever trash right?

I wore out old betamax tapes as a kid watching the Bridgemen, endlessly. I've seen videos of the alumni corps performances.

Anyway, alumni corps are like going to watch a reunion game of the 1976 Harlem Globetrotters.

And... once something has been done, what's the point of doing it again? There are loads of new possibilities out there to explore.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

Wow, you guys seem to be pretty rough on a corps that's doing exactly what they should be doing. The Bridgemen Alumni are exactly what they say they are: an ALUMNI corps. And as an alumni corps that's based off a great corps from DCI's earlier days, I think most people would be disappointed if they played anything other than what they're playing now. If the Star Alumni corps decided to keep playing every year, they probably would never differ much if at all from what they did at semi's, and judging by what some of you have said your opinions of that corps would probably change drastically if that ever happened.

That's the difference between alumni corps and regular DCA corps, and why some organizations have both. Leave the change to the DCA corps and let the alumni keep entertaining the nostalgic.

Oh and personally I would absolutely LOVE to see the Bridgemen perform at semi's, but not that and Allentown in the same year.

Edited by MetalTones2012
  • Like 7

STAR ALUMNI WAS VERY CLASY AND WELL DONE.

A bit different than the BRIDGEMEN Alumni corps.

As for the age of the Bridgemen alumni corps all DCA corps have older membership as well as some young ones and d the BRIDGEMEN.

COMPETE. there are not enough DCA corps as it is.

GO A CLASS.

Given the same amount of time Star Alumni would of had to prepare I'm sure The Bridgemen Alumni would put on an equally classy show.

• Like 3

Wow, you guys seem to be pretty rough on a corps that's doing exactly what they should be doing. The Bridgemen Alumni are exactly what they say they are: an ALUMNI corps. And as an alumni corps that's based off a great corps from DCI's earlier days, I think most people would be disappointed if they played anything other than what they're playing now. If the Star Alumni corps decided to keep playing every year, they probably would never differ much if at all from what they did at semi's.

That's the difference between alumni corps and regular DCA corps, and why some organizations have both. Leave the change to the DCA corps and let the alumni keep entertaining the nostalgic.

Yes. This is just about entertainment, nothing more nothing less.

Filling a 15-20 minute slot late on a Friday evening with something the majority of the audience will appreciate.

• Like 4

I was a huge fan of the Bridgemen back in the day, however, the Bridgemen Alumni is hard for me to watch. They don't even come close to the level of performance and excellence that was the Bridgemen. The Bridgemen Alumni have no entertainment value for me; sorry, just my opinion. They are better suited for the DCA venue and have little to offer after watching the best DCI has to offer.

• Like 6

Reluctantly agree with the naysayers here.

The difference between the Bridgemen and Star Alumni corps: Bridgemen Alumni seem to focus on bringing back the style/panache of their former corps whereas the Star Alumni brought back the substance. Much rather see them arc'd up / wearing t-shirts and hear a better sounding ensemble than to see them in their former uniforms but sounding really bad.

• Like 1

Actually.....and this may offend a few.... But the Bridgemen lately seem less intent on being " the Bridgemen" and more about being a designers vanity project. The humor has been sorely lacking, and the humor as well as the quality made Bayonne what they were.

Sadly this issue has affected many alumni groups this designer has been affiliated with.

If they got back to being " Bayonne", cleaned a few things up and eliminated some drama, I'd be all for them going to DCI week.

But they need to make some changes first, and based on my viewings the last 3 years, they don't think they need to change. Shame, they had a ton of momentum out of the gate, but too much bs squandered it

• Like 1

I don't think you need the Bridgemen Alumni to perform this year. Isn't jersey Surf doing a Bridgemen type show with Bridgemania?

Video of Surf's Open House had all members in Bridgemen Yellow playing In the Stone.

Looked huge. Didn't sound all that bad either.

• Like 1