DCA 2011 DVD's

Hi Ho...

Just wondering if folks out here who ordered the DCA dvd's received them yet?

No they have not even shipped yet. Box5 say they are having copyright issues with the product and yet their is a link from dca web page to their order page. I am getting very frustrated with Box5 short explanation of the problem and dont understand the problem. I was hopping to receive the dvds before Christmas but think that wish is passing by. Hope I am wrong.

No they have not even shipped yet. Box5 say they are having copyright issues with the product and yet their is a link from dca web page to their order page. I am getting very frustrated with Box5 short explanation of the problem and dont understand the problem. I was hopping to receive the dvds before Christmas but think that wish is passing by. Hope I am wrong.

I don't think we're close to having an answer from Box 5. I have the impression that they are frantically trying to negotiate a path that will allow for the minimum of tape on the cutting room floor.

It looks like "use rights," as obtained by the corps before the season starts, applies only to the performances by the corps. There would be no reason for a corps to pay additional licensing since they are not the ones making and selling performance DVDs. I don't fully understand where they are with this. However, my own experience with a music license gives me a hint.

I bought a music CD that gives me the right to use the music in videos that I make for myself and for clients. However, there is a restriction from allowing that derived video from appearing on broadcast or cable TV without further license. I wanted to enter the video in a high school contest that would appear on a website for voting and a cable station. I wrote to the company, explained, asked permission, and they allowed me the use at no extra cost, and wished me well...... very nice of them.... all they wanted was "let us know how you make out."

Could it be that the copyright holders (writers, BMI, corps arrangers, drill designers) want further compensation if their creative works are used beyond the original agreement of "we want to play/march this song/drill this season?" If so, expect some blackout in the final DVDs.

Perhaps DCI and DCA need to hold the umbrella for licensing so that the DVDs and CDs fall under the total license. Unfortunately, there does not exist a single license, but a LONG series of both audio and visual agreements.

Just my take on the situation.

Joe

I don't think we're close to having an answer from Box 5. I have the impression that they are frantically trying to negotiate a path that will allow for the minimum of tape on the cutting room floor.

It looks like "use rights," as obtained by the corps before the season starts, applies only to the performances by the corps. There would be no reason for a corps to pay additional licensing since they are not the ones making and selling performance DVDs. I don't fully understand where they are with this. However, my own experience with a music license gives me a hint.

I bought a music CD that gives me the right to use the music in videos that I make for myself and for clients. However, there is a restriction from allowing that derived video from appearing on broadcast or cable TV without further license. I wanted to enter the video in a high school contest that would appear on a website for voting and a cable station. I wrote to the company, explained, asked permission, and they allowed me the use at no extra cost, and wished me well...... very nice of them.... all they wanted was "let us know how you make out."

Could it be that the copyright holders (writers, BMI, corps arrangers, drill designers) want further compensation if their creative works are used beyond the original agreement of "we want to play/march this song/drill this season?" If so, expect some blackout in the final DVDs.

Perhaps DCI and DCA need to hold the umbrella for licensing so that the DVDs and CDs fall under the total license. Unfortunately, there does not exist a single license, but a LONG series of both audio and visual agreements.

Just my take on the situation.

Joe

If I recall correctly, there is the permission to arrange and perform which is one aspect and then there is a sync license to offer the performance in a recorded fashion.

I am just assuming these DVDs are ready to ship. If there needs to be blackouts or any other kind of editing this could take at least a couple of months. Just whish Box5 would come clean and update there web site they dont even no November has only 30 days.

I'm just really happy to see Box5 dealing with copyrights and doing the right thing. The previous company didn't bother securing them at all (for any circuit they produced videos for).

John you're generally pretty knowledgable but what you just wrote is pretty hard to believe (and potentially liabelous). Since they have been bought out by someone reputable, I guess I wouldn't worry about your accusations, but geeze guy... considering how touchy these people are getting about "rights" that's a hell of a claim... I can tell you that their documentation to DCA seemed to have all the appropriate production/sale rights.

but of course, in my retirement... I KNOW KNOWTHINK!

John you're generally pretty knowledgable but what you just wrote is pretty hard to believe (and potentially liabelous). Since they have been bought out by someone reputable, I guess I wouldn't worry about your accusations, but geeze guy... considering how touchy these people are getting about "rights" that's a hell of a claim... I can tell you that their documentation to DCA seemed to have all the appropriate production/sale rights.

but of course, in my retirement... I KNOW KNOWTHINK!

Tom, I can't speak for what the old company did for DCA, but John is dead on for what they did for other circuits. Trust me when I say John and I are in a position to know