Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

Vanguard's my favorite corps, but I hope this isn't the actual rep. Honestly don't know what corps are seeing in this Mackey fellow. As for Mars and Jupiter . . . they're more than worn out, but SCV has done a great job in recent of years of offering different reinterpretations of pieces associated with other corps. I'd rather SCV bring some new music to the field, but I wouldn't mind seeing how the present The Planets.

Oh, if you want to play the "We know our show but we're not telling you!" game then it would be best not to announce it to a gym full of excited kids. And if "copyright issues" are preventing a public announcement then you definitely shouldn't announce to anyone, period, until those issues are cleared up.

• Like 2

Mars

Jupiter

and stuff from John Mackey

Kinda dull imho but nobody cares what I think.

Bahahahaha

I think that if what he was saying was actually true it would have been edited by a mod by now. Idk, not going to take it as the gospel until I see it on the access website.

I most certainly hope you are kidding. First of all, I hope you didn't just announce the program for SCV. I like Mars and Jupiter, but you have ruined all forms of anticipation I had from them.

you are reading the Vanguard 2012 thread and are upset that someone has perhaps posted a partial repertoire of the show?

That being said, it is never wise to announce what a corps is playing...

why? how is it unwise? are there potential physical repercussions? do drum corps have a hit squad like the mafia that might come after you?

• Like 3

A Fleetwood Mac show?

Oh yea! tongue.gifph34r.gif

As a prospective member of the corps (I have a good feeling about it), I can say that they told the people that auditioned at camps what they were playing, and told us not to say anything until at least December 6th.

Now, the staff didn't announce anything about it then, and still haven't. So technically no one broke a verbal promise... but it still makes you a jerk when you explain the magic trick before performing it.

Some of what the post said may or may not be true, but I'm excited for the music that I (hopefully) get to play, and I'm looking forward to it being awesome. I'm glad you all are looking forward to the upcoming season, and hopefully you can still play your guessing game for a little bit.

• Like 1

I most certainly hope you are kidding. First of all, I hope you didn't just announce the program for SCV. I like Mars and Jupiter, but you have ruined all forms of anticipation I had from them.

That being said, it is never wise to announce what a corps is playing... For instance I have a friend who is at the Troopers camp this weekend and she isn't telling me anything that is really going on there. And she told me a few things about The Cavaliers music because she knows someone who auditioned for them. Now, i'm not going to even say the things that I "heard" I don't know what they are playing but I would rather not start any rumors that might not be true. That being said... Go drum corps.

Your "friend" is telling a tall tale. The Cavaliers have not said a single thing to their members about what they are playing much less passed out the music. Last time I checked, the opener wasn't even written yet and they hadn't finished picking all of the music in the show.

• Like 1

Maybe we should look at what I think is the real issue re: SVC 2012 and that is whether the quality of brass will match the percussion and guard. Can we all agree that had the brass been as good as percussion and guard last year, they would have placed much higher?

To that end, were there brass auditions in TX last year? Is SCV trying to expand the brass audition pool this year?

As a prospective member of the corps (I have a good feeling about it), I can say that they told the people that auditioned at camps what they were playing, and told us not to say anything until at least December 6th.

Now, the staff didn't announce anything about it then, and still haven't. So technically no one broke a verbal promise... but it still makes you a jerk when you explain the magic trick before performing it.

Some of what the post said may or may not be true, but I'm excited for the music that I (hopefully) get to play, and I'm looking forward to it being awesome. I'm glad you all are looking forward to the upcoming season, and hopefully you can still play your guessing game for a little bit.

If someone puts up show information prematurely, and you disapprove, the best thing to do is to quietly ignore it. Don't acknowledge it at all, even to say it's not true or (worse still) it "may or may not be true". Even that lends it some credence. And under no circumstances should you demand that the poster or mods delete what the offending material (I know you didn't do this, but others have) . . . when you do that it makes it look as though the leaked show info is correct.

• Like 1