Streamlining Foodservice

Health-wise it's probably a lot smarter to stick with the plastic/disposable stuff.

It's called...washing! and bleaching....not a big deal...same as taking care of water bottles on tour.

It's called...washing! and bleaching....not a big deal...same as taking care of water bottles on tour.

Some corps don't even use those :-|

You're right in that it *can* be taken care. Unfortunately it doesn't take much of a "slip up" to make all the due diligence worthless.

Sometimes it's worth incurring a cost to just completely avoid a risk.

Have you seen a housing site after a corps leaves? I'm talking about the mountain of trash bags that a corps typically leaves after all the dumpsters are filled up. Mostly plates, cups, plasticware and various other food service trash.

I know most on DCP think this a big joke or like most Americans...don't care. Sad really. I worked with a corps that experimented with washing dishes and cups, it was deemed to time consuming and a possible health hazard. We went right to tons of disposable items and haven't looked back. Like most corps.

A reasonable request might that members and staff think twice when consuming. It drives me crazy when a kid throws out their trash from a meal...then gets back in line for seconds on cups and plates and food. Also, when a kid takes two cups because they are thirsty. Seriously?

If you think today's members are practicing so hard that they don't have time to wash a cup or plate, or help the kitchen staff for a few minutes to wash up after a meal, you are sadly mistaken.

Another American plus I see. Look, I actually own a restaurant and catering business and I am in the food industry. You CAN buy completely biodegradable plates forks etc but they ARE more expensive (quite a bit. Washing dishes on the road would require a LOT of water (both dumping and clean) and I would ONLY suggest using a dish washer machine to be completely safe. It would probably (most certainly after looking at buying a rig for this) JUST for that equipment and dishware and water. It's NOT simply washing a dish or two, it making sure they are SANITIZED. You cannot use the same standards you use in your house for "washing a dish".

• Like 1

If a corps feeds an average of 185 people per day, 4 meals per day... that is 740 sporks per day.

Here you can buy a case of 1,000 sporks at $9.75... or $0.00975 per spork.

So, this would mean that a corps would spend approximately $7.22 per day on sporks.

Multiply this by an average of about 80 days per year, and you have $577.60 total spork budget.

This same company sells both spoons and forks for the same price as sporks... so... there could be potential for corps to save up to around $500 a year by going spork only!!!!

Edited by danielray

C-rations or MREs

Yummy!

It drives me crazy when a kid throws out their trash from a meal...then gets back in line for seconds on cups and plates and food.

Just means they've learned their lesson from their local buffet: Get a clean plate when returning to the buffet.

:P

In all seriousness, I know what you mean. But this thread is ridiculous--might as well put in my joke.

• Like 1

There was one Canadian corps that required the members to bring their own plate, cup, spoon, fork, knife to camps and tour with them. More to carry around, but did reduce some cost for the corps.

Not sure when you are talking about, but I marched with a Canadian corps in the early 90's that did this. We all had a little mesh bag that held a plate, bowl, and cup. The corps provided silverware.

At each meal, a washing station was set up, and we washed our dishes before going back to rehearsal. It worked out quite well, honestly.

When I marched in the Garfield Cadets we had to bring our own plates, tray and silverware on tour. (That is when we actually got fed, but that is a story for another thread.) We "washed" them after each meal with a garden hose. Yum.