Closest Finals score?

A dropped rifle.

Oh come on....this again?? Like there were no OTHER ticks by Regiment that day? Regiment's score was 91.45...that means there were a lot of other ticks than just the dropped rifle...same for SCV and their 91.55.

Vets OF 78 Regiment have said they don't consider the dropped rifle the deciding factor (Rocketman....your comments?).

• Like 2

Oh come on....this again?? Like there were no OTHER ticks by Regiment that day? Regiment's score was 91.45...that means there were a lot of other ticks than just the dropped rifle...same for SCV and their 91.55.

Vets OF 78 Regiment have said they don't consider the dropped rifle the deciding factor (Rocketman....your comments?).

Gotta' agree on this one - it's easy to point out something as obvious as a dropped rifle as the deciding factor, but in the end so much else about the performance makes the score what it is.

There's a video on youtube of Phantom '78 taken with a very shaky home movie camera - I believe it's from DCI East prelims. I had no idea the amount of changes they did to that show as the season progressed. There's also another video of their pre-show marching warm up - something Phantom was known for. The video for that is called "78 Marion Entrance." Very cool stuff!

besides, in '78 I am pretty sure a rifle drop was just a tick. Not a penalty. So, the question remains active for me. I guess a tick could be just as bad as a 0.1 penalty, but I would still like to know what the specific 0.1 was for.

He was responding to the question, "Just curious, what was the penalty?" And indeed that's what the penalty was for. The all-too-public incident with the rifle was a penalty and not a tick. Yes, every tick in the show was worth just as much off the final score, but the problem was the rifle got caught in the skirt as the rifle bearers wear kneeling on the front sideline and it went over the line, which was a penalty. (Back then, nothing was allowed to be set or accidentally dropped beyond the perimeter of the field.) And it unfortunately was so obvious because it was in the very front and the guard member just couldn't get it extracted from her skirt until former DCI Executive Director Don Pesceone went up to her and intervened.

It was a freakish incident that hadn't happened before and happened at the worst possible time, but it was a penalty and not a tick. Some people processed it in their minds as a contributing factor to the 0.10 loss to SCV in 1978 because it was so visible, and they are correct. It was a contributing factor to the loss, along with every horn player who flubbed an attack or release, every percussionist who misplaced a diddle or attack and every guard member who either had a flag angle that wasn't uniform or a rifle toss that wasn't caught just right...provided any of those incidents were observed by a judge.

• Like 3

besides, in '78 I am pretty sure a rifle drop was just a tick. Not a penalty. So, the question remains active for me. I guess a tick could be just as bad as a 0.1 penalty, but I would still like to know what the specific 0.1 was for.

Please see my explanation above.

• Like 1

No, it was a penalty, because any judge (horns/drums/M&M) could recover dropped equipment & give it back. And then mark it at the bottom of the sheet as a penalty. That ensured that it was not double-counted as a tick by M&M and as a penalty - it was always a penalty. Those were the rules at the time.

Also - I know some drum-lines would occasionally drop a stick in front to the percussion execution judge just before a hard part that was not yet clean; better to take the 0.1 penalty than 2-3 ticks in execution.

Please see my explanation above.

To Boo: If I had waited another 30 seconds my question would have been answered before I asked it: your answer posted in the 30 seconds between my thought and and my posting. That is really interesting about the timing and location of that drop. Far out! And epic bad luck.

To LancerContra: That is sneaky as heck to "throw" sticks like that. I started in the year or two after ticks went away. Never thought about strategy like that. I find it fascinating.

Thanks to both for an answer and some extra flavor.