Madison Scouts 2012

I agree with you about the red, that would really make the uniform look great. I think the reasoning behind the spats are the inherent challenges involved with trying to clean a visual program that uses spats. I think that's why they got rid of them in the first place.

So Drum Corps today dont march as well as back when Scouts wore spats & SCV wore white shoes? They cant clean feet?

The Madison Scouts uniform without spats is incomplete.

Edited by FlamMan

Chris Komnick explained that the reason for not wearing spats at this time is that the uniform pants are tapered and they are not able to get the pants on over the leggings.

I never heard this. I thought he said that they couldnt find a source for the original navy issue spats?

The spats were my favorite part of the uniform.

Edited by FlamMan

I've have also hear the comment on not being able to use leggings (not spats) with the new (this year) uniform bottoms as the lower leg is quite tapered. If you see a picture of this year’s uniform, you can easily see that the pant bottom is very tapered indeed.

But we never know. I expect with next year being Scouts' 75th anniversary we will see a drastic uniform change. Maybe a total throwback!!

So Drum Corps today dont march as well as back when Scouts wore spats & SCV wore white shoes? They cant clean feet?

The Madison Scouts uniform without spats is incomplete.

No, I'm saying they're marching better and marching much harder stuff. When was the last time Scouts wore spats? 1982? Wearing spats would be hard with most of the current marching techniques, but it worked very well with the old styles of the 70s, where marking time was more of a standard than marching everywhere at 170+

There are still corps that wear white shoes, so I'm not quite sure what kind of argument you're making with that one?

I think their new uniform looks great as it is. I wouldn't mind the white belt coming back and some red added in, but I'm not in charge of their design.

• Like 4

I'm conflicted. I pretty much think they (all corps) should have stopped at amping the existing pit instruments. Everyting else is just distracting in my opinion.

:worthy::thumbup::worthy:

I'm surprised that *no* World Class corps is willing to do without synth (correct me if I'm wrong). Especially in some shows where they are hardly used. If PR can do without men in the guard, surely some other corps can drop the synth to be special.

Scouts' synth came across pretty strong on the streams I've watched, including some Thunderous Goo at Kalamazoo, but live at Muncie I didn't really notice it (esp in comparison to Cavies), except in a couple of spots near the beginning where it's somewhat featured. I'll see them again on Wednesday and I'll be sitting lower down so maybe the goo will get to me then.

• Like 1

Are we actually debating that dumb old worn out "spat" topic again?...One word, for-ged-a-boud-it! Just let it go already! Here's something to consider...I'm thinking its time we come to realize that the Scouts are in pretty capable hands without us arm chair quarterbacks...I mean come on, they got this Jim Mason guy, ala Mr. Star of Indiana, former Scout and creator of multi award winning Blast, they've got a highly talented and renowned staff and an executive director who's been rightfully rewarded for his talents with an extended contract and who sits on DCI's Board...It's time to trust that these guys know what they're doing and where they want to take this thing. Instead of talking about color of belt, adding some red, or that dumb spat thing, how about something tangible like the fact that even though the Cavies apparently have the worst show in drum corps history this summer(according to those that post here), than why is it that they're score has been rising and as of tonight, they're only several tenths of a point down from Madison? Or, why did Spirit take a number of "3rd" place captions over Madison tonight? Forget about the waste of time minutia topics...We're burning daylight here! I'd rather hear how the Men of Madison are doing this year and whats going on with this summers production...I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

• Like 1

Are we actually debating that dumb old worn out "spat" topic again?...One word, for-ged-a-boud-it! Just let it go already! Here's something to consider...I'm thinking its time we come to realize that the Scouts are in pretty capable hands without us arm chair quarterbacks...I mean come on, they got this Jim Mason guy, ala Mr. Star of Indiana, former Scout and creator of multi award winning Blast, they've got a highly talented and renowned staff and an executive director who's been rightfully rewarded for his talents with an extended contract and who sits on DCI's Board...It's time to trust that these guys know what they're doing and where they want to take this thing. Instead of talking about color of belt, adding some red, or that dumb spat thing, how about something tangible like the fact that even though the Cavies apparently have the worst show in drum corps history this summer(according to those that post here), than why is it that they're score has been rising and as of tonight, they're only several tenths of a point down from Madison? Or, why did Spirit take a number of "3rd" place captions over Madison tonight? Forget about the waste of time minutia topics...We're burning daylight here! I'd rather hear how the Men of Madison are doing this year and whats going on with this summers production...I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

Here, here Jerry! GO SCOUTS!!!

Rather than argue about spats, my concern this year is the Color Guard. What has happened. When the Corps comes onto the field, they look sharp with a military bearing (which we expect from the Scouts). The Guard kind of casually wanders on the field and messes around while the Corps is standing at attention waiting to begin. At the end, the corps marches off and the Guard just wanders off. Just doesn't seem like Madison to me. I love the show and am a big supporter of the Scouts but for the life of me, I can't understand why the staff hasn't addressed this issue. I think the Color Guard performance is lacking because of some type of attitude problem. Sorry that I feel this way because the rest of the corps is giving maximm effort.

• Like 1