Madison Scouts 2012

I think the Scouts have a big trumpet sound. I believe their presence was felt even more when they were buglers.

• Like 2

I think for the financial sake of dci the Scouts must get into the top 8!!

• Like 4

I think the Scouts have a big trumpet sound. I believe their presence was felt even more when they were buglers.

If you were answering me, let me try to explain, but it's hard because I lack the technical language to say exactly what I think I am hearing.

Back in the bugle days, the soprano parts were written very high and the only way to get those high sounds to sound decent was to blow like crazy! It produced a LOUD and very brilliant sound. They didn't sound that way because they were bugles, or because they played in the key of G, I'm convinced of that. But the sound wasn't always balanced, and many corps were that way. BD also had a sop heavy sound BITD, and it produced a very characteristic sound for many corps. Today most corps are much more blended and balanced from top to bottom in their sound.

What I think I'm hearing from Scouts trumpets is NOT a lack of sound. It's like if you tried to sing, but I was yelling "yayayayayaya" over top of you. You haven't lost any volume, but you can't hear your good singing because of my "interfering" yelling.

I know I didn't put that very well, but that's kind of what I think I hear from Scouts. And I really do hear the synth sound and maybe the tubas "knocking down" the sound from the trumpets. Someone smarter than me can probably tell you why, but that's my impression sitting in the seats.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1