Madison Scouts 2012

I really admire the optimism of Scouts fans. But you need to realize that there is sometime wrong with the show design. You can blame slotting, performance order, judges or even the wind when the color guard is bad.......BTW there in no wind in the Alamodome or the Georgia Dome.

Musically the show doesn't work. The visual program program is vastly better than year but is not getting clean. The crowd response is always incredible for the Scouts, but if wonder if the ovations they receive are really for the show they just saw or a response to tradition and history

.BTW...... Do not thiink that this is an attack but more of a reality check. I have been a fan of the Madison Scouts for more than three decades! But all the red marks in the world are not going are to fix show design problems or hurt my feelings in any way.

You make some valid points, and I agree that they really need to kick it into high gear in regards to cleaning and then stay consistant to the end. But I'm not sure I fully agree that the show doesn't work musically. Aside from some phrasing issues in the middle of the opener, (maybe some melodic thoughts could be lengthened) overall, I really like what I'm hearing, and they seem to be scoring respectably in the GE Music caption. Seems like Colorguard and Percussion is where they are taking hits lately. I felt like the percussion has been a giant improvement over last year, but at Atlanta they were 13th in that caption, so maybe they need more cleaning there. Guard seems to be hit or miss depending on the show, so they just need to build more consistancy from here on out.

As far as ovations and whether they are because of the history or because of their effectiveness....I

cannot speak for others, but for me, they are a little of both, and I love those moments! Anyway, who knows what will happen by the end of the season, but for me, this year has been a success in that they are very entertaining and have made definite improvements over last year. I will not be dissappointed if they

aren't in the top 7 or 8 (although it would be nice) because I'm looking at the big "picture" (pun intended) and I like what I see. :) Go Scouts!

Edited by madalumni
  • Like 3

I really admire the optimism of Scouts fans. But you need to realize that there is sometime wrong with the show design. You can blame slotting, performance order, judges or even the wind when the color guard is bad.......BTW there in no wind in the Alamodome or the Georgia Dome.

Musically the show doesn't work. The visual program program is vastly better than year but is not getting clean. The crowd response is always incredible for the Scouts, but if wonder if the ovations they receive are really for the show they just saw or a response to tradition and history

.BTW...... Do not thiink that this is an attack but more of a reality check. I have been a fan of the Madison Scouts for more than three decades! But all the red marks in the world are not going are to fix show design problems or hurt my feelings in any way.

I wish I wasn't a drum corps alum with a music degree, because then you would have helped me just now. I always thought I stood up and cheered for Madison and other corps because I personally enjoyed their performance.

And the colorguard is bad? Really? Then why is it the same judges that lift them up, and the same judges that tear them down.

Next thing you'll tell me that Marie and Gary Czapinski never score the Scouts bad, even though since Gary was let go of his position within the Scouts their scores seem to have magically dropped when one of those two have a green polo on. I guess that hasn't happened since 1979.

Look musclebud, I realize your full of angst because you probably got cut by the corps, but I hope you realize there are other corps out there.

• Like 3

After cleaning up some of the unnecessary discussion, let's keep it on topic, please.

I'm wondering if there is some trend this season toward showing appreciation like this. At the early July Cedarburg show, I passed Pioneer's drum majors, who thanked me (and others) for coming to the show. It definitely made an impression on me. I don't think that had happened to me ever before, and I have been attending drum corps shows since 1966.

No Jim, if there is a trend I could say it was something corny like it is in the Wisconsin water since it looks like only the Pionner and Scouts do this sort of thing. Maybe it is the cheese that causes it.

Proof positive would be that you won't catch the Blue Stars of Indiana doing it because you can't find any ORIGINAL LaCrosse® Blue Stars still performing. :sad:

• Like 1

I'm wondering if there is some trend this season toward showing appreciation like this. At the early July Cedarburg show, I passed Pioneer's drum majors, who thanked me (and others) for coming to the show. It definitely made an impression on me. I don't think that had happened to me ever before, and I have been attending drum corps shows since 1966.

Spirit members thanked us coming out of the stands at Cedarburg. I thought that was a class act.

• Like 1

Spirit members thanked us coming out of the stands at Cedarburg. I thought that was a class act.

Well if it's a trend...cool! Honestly, we leave before scores are announced (dcp or dci has them up quickly) because we always want to go find our son. But - for the "drum corps fan" that might not be a "seasoned" audience member I can imagine it feels personal, welcoming, and just sort of neato to get up close and personal to some marching members.

Evidently they score better when Jeff Lee is there with the corps. :tongue:

Jeff must not have been there tonight. 16.4. 1.4 less than last night. This is hard to understand. Glassmen ahead of them tonight? Really?

No Jim, if there is a trend I could say it was something corny like it is in the Wisconsin water since it looks like only the Pionner and Scouts do this sort of thing. Maybe it is the cheese that causes it.

Proof positive would be that you won't catch the Blue Stars of Indiana doing it because you can't find any ORIGINAL LaCrosse® Blue Stars still performing. :sad:

Umm, you DO realize that at this time the Scouts practice in Indiana, and the Blue Stars do not. Either way it's a dip**** classless comment.

• Like 1

Umm, you DO realize that at this time the Scouts practice in Indiana, and the Blue Stars do not. Either way it's a dip**** classless comment.

Couldn't agree with you more on this one BozzlyB.

This is NOT a thread to bash other corps especially our neighbors to the northwest.

The Blue Stars and the Scouts are currently rehearsing in or around Rome NY. Where they rehearse in the winter is due to the fact that

its much cheaper and convenient for the members and staff to get there and it isn't as f'n cold and snowy as it is in Wisconsin.

They are still the MADISON Scouts and LA CROSSE Blue Stars and we can just hope that they'll continue to do everything in their power

to be with us for a long time to come. As with everything in life you must adjust to survive.

And by the way its nice to see the Blue Stars are cleaning things up and making a push.

As far as the Scouts greeting people after shows I know their drum majors starting doing it last year. Maybe our friend Weedy could enlighten us as to when, who's idea it was etc.