Madison Scouts 2012

Well I guess if they finish in 7th and BD finishes in 1st and the Blue Stars of Indiana finish in 12th and the Scouts finish in 5th next season ---- that will be after moving up two places in their 75th season, a truly BLOW YOUR MIND show that is being planned---- then we can say that DCI really is all about COMPETITION and not about ENTERTAINMENT and

THAT IS A GOOD THING

NOT!

:angry:

Ummmm....I don't get it. What's your point? Also, can I get my shirt back in just one hour?

• Like 1

if Blue Devils have been beating Crown all season, then it makes sense for Crown to finish behind Blue Devils at finals. That's all I'm saying.

Maybe DCI should end the competition season this afternoon then. You like the current slotting rankings right now and you'll be real "suspicious " if any Corps makes a move from here on in.

Just want to say I'm really digging this show more and more. Also, a question about the middle

piece - The Old Castle; I know SCV played it as their balad in 86, but they played a very similar

ballad in 87. Is it from the same source music? and if not, does anyone know what it is from?

DCI is about competition . . .and entertainment. Last I checked, the two things don't have to be mutually exclusive. :smile:

Sorry, I don't agree and that is what I was trying to say. If ENTERTAINMENT was equal or even counted, Madison Scouts would finish much higher instead of having to settle for the handout they are given.

"Let my people vote with their cellphones and then we would know what a winner looks like."

--Martin I. Zing

Noted Scholar, Drum Corps Fan and Dry Cleaning Impresario

Sorry, I don't agree and that is what I was trying to say. If ENTERTAINMENT was equal or even counted, Madison Scouts would finish much higher instead of having to settle for the handout they are given.

"Let my people vote with their cellphones and then we would know what a winner looks like."

--Martin I. Zing

Noted Scholar, Drum Corps Fan and Dry Cleaning Impresario

Yes, but performing at a high level is also part of this activity. You have to be able to do that as well. I think the entertainment component is important, but it's lost and not as effective when it isn't performed masterfully. That's the last hurdle the Scouts have to overcome.

I was wildly entertained by Phantom this year. A lot of that had to do with how well they performed their show. It connected more effectively.

• Like 1

Just want to say I'm really digging this show more and more. Also, a question about the middle

piece - The Old Castle; I know SCV played it as their balad in 86, but they played a very similar

ballad in 87. Is it from the same source music? and if not, does anyone know what it is from?

Yes, SCV based a large portion of their shows in 1986 and 1987 around Pictures at an Exhibition. Personally, I think their version of Great Gate was better, but Madison's is a very, very close second. Madison this year is pretty great, just need to tighten up the brass and guard a bit, and TOC should be a lock. I heard some weird tone and intonation stuff on the Atlanta recordings, but that could have been bad mic placing for Fan Network?

Yes, but performing at a high level is also part of this activity. You have to be able to do that as well. I think the entertainment component is important, but it's lost and not as effective when it isn't performed masterfully. That's the last hurdle the Scouts have to overcome.

I was wildly entertained by Phantom this year. A lot of that had to do with how well they performed their show. It connected more effectively.

Well, if that's the case. I'd say that dci owes Madison quite a few championships from previous years where they executed as good as anybody while entertaining the crowd to a frenzy!

• Like 1

My take on Madison after seeing them live in Charleston, WV:

I loved 'em. They got wild SCREAMS of love from the local HS girls, and two standing O's from the rest of us. I loved Malaguena, and I loved Great Gate of Kiev. Two huge moments on the night, with both Phantom and BD in the house.

I am old enough to remember very well what the "Madison sound" sounded like; this ain't it. I'm not being critical, but making an observation based on my ears and my rapidly fading memory.

The old Madison sound was sop heavy with a brilliant sound on top. This may sound crazy, but I really think the many tubas, and especially the synth "kills the top end sound, almost deadens it and makes the articulation sound kind of muddled. It might be the arrangements, but the sound doesn't seem to get from the field to the stands like the other top groups.

I know the drum line is taking hits from the judges, but what I hear is a GREAT snare and battery, super tight. My only guess is they aren't scoring high because they aren't playing enough. In one section the drums are sent to the far endzone and they kind of get into a circle and kneel for a few minutes. They play really well when they are playing, so that's not the problem.

I didn't care for the color guard, because they kind of "posed" a lot. It just looks silly, not manly. FWIW I feel the same about Crown's posing, it just not impressive.

The most impressive part of Scouts performance was when I was leaving the stadium, There were two Scouts there in full uniform, individually thanking people for coming to the show, and it gave us the chance to tell them, great show, thanks for bringing it to us.

SUPER classy move, Madison Scouts! :thumbup:

Edited by wvu80