Premier is Back

coughbluedevilstoludwigcoughcough :ph34r:

Probably not. BD is pretty well linked to Pearl. They should have chosen Yamaha given the choices at the time because Yamaha is the current best product.

• Like 1

Probably not. BD is pretty well linked to Pearl. They should have chosen Yamaha given the choices at the time because Yamaha is the current best product.

Wow. I think there can be a lot of debate about that. Yamaha certainly puts out a great product, but there are definitely those who would choose other companies over Yamaha. Its all subjective, so to say something like that as if it is fact is a little ridiculous.

I can't comment on the new US distributor for Premier because I haven't tried to deal with them, but when I was trying to get a few parts years back it was like trying to talk to a statue. As for Ludwig, the old drums were handcrafted in the US. I think they are making drums in Asia and the quality is questionable. Stickers for namebadges? Their recent marching products are a failure from a marketing and support standpoint.

Actually, Ludwig's drums are made in the US at their North Carolina plant, at least the last time I spoke with Al a few months ago. What do you base the questionable quality assertion on? I'm just asking because a lot of people say that about brands based on experiences from years past but without familiarity with current offerings.

• Like 1

Actually, Ludwig's drums are made in the US at their North Carolina plant, at least the last time I spoke with Al a few months ago. What do you base the questionable quality assertion on? I'm just asking because a lot of people say that about brands based on experiences from years past but without familiarity with current offerings.

To be fair, Ludwig has had a lengthy, fairly current past history of questionable quality and poor customer service. Things may be in motion to change that reputation, but there has been no shortage of poor quality control, equipment that is woefully behind current design trends when it comes to durability + functionality, difficulty obtaining repair parts in a reasonably short time, etc. I love competition, and I hope that Ludwig can turn things around and start consistently producing a great quality product with outstanding customer service. But as a music teacher/percussion teacher I have had PLENTY of problems with Ludwig equipment in the past decade (and that doesn't even count the plethora of problems I've encountered prior to the last ten years), and NONE of us have really seen what the future holds with Ludwig right now: there is plenty of hope and talk, but until product is on the market and customer service proves itself, Ludwig has quite a bit to prove.

Ha; we'll see, I guess. I think Blue Devil's modern history has proven that they will do what they think is in their financially best interests, and we know that there are plenty of less-established companies that will bend over backwards to land a big endorser

I don't really see any of these companies getting too far in the drum corps world. The reason is, the four leading companies (Yamaha, Pearl, Dynasty and Mapex) all either make their own brass, or have a partnership with a brass company. Unless these new companies can pull something like that off, I just don't see it happening. Some of them don't even have that kind of arrangement for front equipment although the rumor is Tama is working on it. The fact is, the standard in the drum corps world is to match across the board. I'd be surprised if we deviate from that. Now, in the scholastic world, however, I could see some of these companies being successful, especially if they can offer front equipment. Scholastic programs are often on a budget and if they can get a better deal through a new company when it comes time for new equipment, they will definitely look into it.

the four leading companies (Yamaha, Pearl, Dynasty and Mapex) all either make their own brass, or have a partnership with a brass company.

BD plays King horns, King owns Ludwig.........

I don't really see any of these companies getting too far in the drum corps world. The reason is, the four leading companies (Yamaha, Pearl, Dynasty and Mapex) all either make their own brass, or have a partnership with a brass company. Unless these new companies can pull something like that off, I just don't see it happening. Some of them don't even have that kind of arrangement for front equipment although the rumor is Tama is working on it. The fact is, the standard in the drum corps world is to match across the board. I'd be surprised if we deviate from that. Now, in the scholastic world, however, I could see some of these companies being successful, especially if they can offer front equipment. Scholastic programs are often on a budget and if they can get a better deal through a new company when it comes time for new equipment, they will definitely look into it.

Premier has a full line of gear for front ensemble (minus vibes, what's up with that?) and is going to be launching a brass line, or that is the word... just whitelabeling an Asian manufacturer to start.... then tweaking????

Also, Adams makes brass instruments.... somewhat popular in Europe... not sure why they don't do a line of marching brass??

One other thing to consider is that global demand, particularly in emerging markets, is growing very quickly.... and the US is not the whole pie.