What's with all the hate for BD

There are plenty of people who learn to like or dislike an organization based on what goes on off the field. I know a woman who saw a corps mistreat equipement 25 years ago and still doesn't like that corps. There are plenty of people that didn't like Star for having money, or loved them for bringing a new financially stable corps to the fold. Ugly uniforms = hate Pretty flags = love. The list goes on.

I was a super Blue Devils fan when I was first introduced to drum corps, I even wanted to march there, based solely on the VHS tapes I saw in school. As the years went by I did learn to hate a few corps I competed against, I loved others for their shows or the great staff members I got to know. In the last several years I have really enjoyed watching every corps out there, everyone has something to offer. There are seasons where The Cadets (for example) confound me, and other seasons they amaze me, but I still get something from it. I try not to paint a picture of a corps by what is presented on the field.

Some in this conversation have said to leave the G7 thing out of a thread entitled "What's with all the hate for BD?" Impossible. I was thoroughly disappointed when that whole G7 thing slimely came to light. These G7 corps director said we are better than you, we don't care about you and we are selfish and conceited to the end. The Blue Devils corps director was an architect of the proposal, and that taints my view of the organization's administration.

How can I watch a G7 corps and not think, just for a second, of what they might be cooking up next?

This is true from the diehard drum corps fans perspective... but I bet most people that go to shows don't know much about what goes on off the field. If you polled every audience member that attended a show last summer or two summers ago, I doubt more than 5% would have heard of the G7 proposal.

Perhaps once you march or become heavily involved inside the activity, the off the field stuff is more important and apparent to you. The outsiders never hear about things being stolen from one corps by another, loaning buses to another corps only to have them returned with bus box food eaten and gatorade bottles peed in, or having joint meals together and generally having a blast. 99% of spectators don't hear about any of that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

This is true from the diehard drum corps fans perspective... but I bet most people that go to shows don't know much about what goes on off the field. If you polled every audience member that attended a show last summer or two summers ago, I doubt more than 5% would have heard of the G7 proposal.

Perhaps once you march or become heavily involved inside the activity, the off the field stuff is more important and apparent to you. The outsiders never hear about things being stolen from one corps by another, loaning buses to another corps only to have them returned with bus box food eaten and gatorade bottles peed in, or having joint meals together and generally having a blast. 99% of spectators don't hear about any of that kind of stuff.

I think if you polled audience members, more that 5% would have heard of the G7. Especially if you polled at a regional or finals. I would put the number at 15-20%. I can guarantee a majority of spectators know about drum corps and know off the field goings on. To basically say that only 1% of spectators at corps shows have marched or been "heavily" involved with corps is off bass.

More to the point, and to answer your direct disagreement with my post, I stand by my thoughts. The OP asked, "I'm just wondering why there are so many very conflicting opinions on the Blue Devils. Give your opinion, good or bad, on the Blue Devils." The post wasn't asking 99% of spectators their opinion on the Blue Devils, it asked a small group of people (DCP) that are passionate about the activity.

Every Corps have people that dislike them for one reason or another. The world keeps spinning. 165 Days til Drum Corps Season Starts!

• Like 2

Out-executing a very simple, boring, dull show (ie: 09-10) is no excuse for them to score above every other corp that works their ##### off every season on things that are on a completely different level than BDs.

Edited by PoliticalMuffin
  • Like 6

Out-executing a very simple, boring, dull show (ie: 09-10) is no excuse for them to score above every other corp that works their ##### off every season on things that are on a completely different level than BDs.

blink.gifdoh.gifshutup.gif

I'll just leave it at that.

• Like 2

please-do-not-feed-the-troll.jpg
  • Like 2

but there's not really anything else for fans to judge a corps on, besides their shows.

Well, that's certainly one way of looking at it, but I tend to step back and look at the big picture. The core of their instructional staff has been there for almost ever, and their consistancy has been remarkable. They always seem to raise the money they need, and one can only guess at how many kids passed through the orginization over the years. To me that's success.

Edited by Piper
  • Like 1

At what point does criticism, valid or not, become "hate"?

What? You can't answer that question? Sure you can. The answer is that remarks can be criticism and "hate" at the same time. Drum corps beauty is in the ear and eye of the beholder. Some people like BD, and some don't. Just like with other polarizing topics (religion) one side will never be able to convince the other that they are right/wrong. Enjoy the corps you like, and respect the members of the corps you don't.

Do I get tired of seeing the Blue Devils win frequently? Sure, but until someone can beat them (Yes. I know Cadets won last year) they will continue to succeed. I do not care for '09 and '10, but 2011 BD has been getting the most play be me.

Have seen some people say they are "tired" of seeing blue devils win but since 1983 the cadets have won more times that the blue devils. So what really gives?

I think what really makes blue devils unique (and hard to understand if you weren't a part of the corps) is that you are allowed to be an individual in the corps and not controlled to being a "robot" of an organization. This mentality doesn't happen to many other places. Not saying that either is better or worse. Just different. When individuals are allowed to express themselves they don't always choose the best, or most professional way.... But this mentality does allow young people to feel like they matter to the organization and help them transition into adulthood. Also, it helps to put out a level of performance quality that is unmatched year in and year out.

• Like 1