What's with all the hate for BD

Probablly for the same reason that they cheer or applaud for other things they like in Drum Corps. Why are you uncomfortable with people expressing their criticisms on occassion, provided that its constructive, honest, explanatory on what they did not like, etc and not done in a personal way to any marcher ?

I had an instructor that hardly ever said anything critical. It was all monotonous. On the other hand, I knew an instructor that rartely gave a good word, unless he really felt it and meant it. Guess what ? When he gave praise, it really meant a lot. Thats because we knew it was genuine and honest. When the other staff member witheld criticism, I neverr quite knew wshat he really thought, so the impact of his praise was always somewhat suspect.

we arent talking about staff..staff need to be critical. Im taking about people here and its not on occassion....If a plume changes there 100 pages of nastyness, if a uniform changes its like an orphan was murdered, if a corps does well and its not what people think they should be doing its like they ran over grandma. I can see saying I just dont care for a show. Personally I thought PR 08 was great but the most overrated show of the decade. I traveled all summer on tour and NEVER saw the hoopla that people here are prasing Madison for but who cares..Like I said its a good thing there wasnt the internet back in the day because there were quite a few stinikers for shows that people praise now. I even marched a few..lol...as I said Im probably as guilty at times....hopefully not 2 bad...lol..ok done

Edited by GUARDLING

The Cadets are the only corps in the modern DCI era who have really, truly experienced "hate".

Define "modern DCI era."

Because I interpret that as the "modern" (aka DCI) era of drum and bugle corps (1972-present), and the delegation from Star of Indiana would like to offer a rebuttal.

• Like 1

I also know they dont care much. They stand behind their product , love what they do and are 1 with their staff ....

If true,... and I see no reason to not believe you,... then why do we have 30 pages filled with people complaining about some criticisms of BD ? If criticism doesn't concern them, then why does it seem to concern you ( and others on here )so much ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

If true,... and I see no reason to not believe you,... then why do we have 30 pages filled with people complaining about some criticisms of BD ? If criticism doesn't concern them, then why does it seem to convcern you so much ?

Its not BD members answering..maybe a few parents its BD fans or not fans doing the debating here. Funny thing here Im not a BD fan although it sounds like im defending them and it has NOTHING to do with design choices. I happen to have liked them in recent years.

Edited by GUARDLING

Its not BD members answering..maybe a few parents its BD fans or not fans doing the debating here

If the kids are ok, and on board totally with their corps show design, then whats the beef from the parent(s) with others from outside the Corps ? Why would they care what others think if their son or daughter is reportedly happy and having fun doing their show ? If my kid is happy doing something, I really don't care what some anonymous person in another zip code thinks, you know ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

If the kids are ok, and on board totally with their corps show design, then whats the beef from the parent(s) with others from outside the Corps ? Why would they care what others think if their son or daughter is reportedly happy and having fun doing their show ? If my kid is happy doing something, I really don't care what some anonymous person in another zip code thinks, you know ?

Oh I agree with you. I wouldnt care either..Its just the sense of entitlement I think we all think we have at times. As far as parents ..its just being a parent..noone wants their kid or what they do slammed

THE EAST AND ITS CORPS HAVE NEVER HAD A LOVE AFFAIR WITH BD,......CROWDS ARE FICKLE NIGHT TO NIGHT..CANT PUT MUCH ON THAT.......THEN AGAIN THE EAST CAN HAVE THE BEST FANS............AS WELL AS THE WORST

I've seen tons of love for BD in the East for years. SCV too. Sure in 80, 27 got the love...their show was more fan friendly and yeah they were in the hunt. 82...OMG...people offered unborn babies to BD.

86? 88? Jesus. 90 w/Tommy? unreal. 94 love affair. I could go on.

The East isnt fickle. I saw the east give it up for Star during the years the world supposedly hated them.

Let me ask ..why do we as drum corps people feel the need to criticize in the 1st place..........we all dont have to like or agree with a design choice..just dont watch it or sup[port what you like and thats it...........i actually know this answer but curious to hear others..lol

here's why...

you're paying to see it. You cant send in your ticket money and say " i only want the cash to go to this corps and that corps". When you pay, your money gets spread around. And when you pay to see something, you have the right to be a critic, just like a movie or sporting event

do you remember what it was to be liked or disliked when you marched...of course they take it personally..its their hard work...it a show they may have bought into. If the drum line gets slammed it effect everyone not just 1 section. it becomes their show..days on end of work..yes it does effect them

why do people feel the need to be judge , jury, designer, director, performer. Just go and watch what you like and dont watch the rest or at very least just say you dont care for something BUT NOOOOOO some have to give that Oh so superior opinion on every aspect of every part of every corps...lol hysterical ( not saying you, just in general ) :smile:

Maybe I'm guilty also....hope I control it at least..lol

I remember winning a world title in a rivals hometown. we loved it

Sure in 80, 27 got the love...their show was more fan friendly and yeah they were in the hunt.

Interesting take. I was just watching the 80 BD show today and I don't see what was fan UNfriendly about it compared to 27th's offering that year.

What was it about the BD show that made is less fan friendly than 27th?