What's with all the hate for BD

Would you categorize BD 2010 as "not jazz"?

I wasn't sure i could classify it as melodic

• Like 2

Complex and tasty were words from my mind when I heard it first time. I listened again, found another word or two that can't be shared with you. Listen to the music and dance; if you feel the music, it's true :)

Would you categorize BD 2010 as "not jazz"?

Music exclusively by Stan Kenton? It would be an insult to the man himself to not call it jazz. And I must say that even with the cut and pastes they had to do with that show, what they did of each piece used in that show was very true to the original charts themselves. This coming from someone who is a die hard fan of Stan Kenton. So, yes it was absolutelty jazz. Kentonesque symphhonic jazz in spots absolutely, but still very much within the big band jazz genre.

• Like 1

BD, I think more than any other corps, has mastered the art of designing shows to take maximum advantage of the judging sheets. The criticism some people have (varying from year to year) seems to be centered around this rather clinical approach, and the disappointment that they (the critics) feel because the show has been designed (so they say) with fan entertainment as an afterthought. I can bring up plenty of issues that *I* have with the way BD designs their shows, both visually and musically. I can also bring up plenty of features that BD does better than anyone else, every single year. Whether you love their shows or not, BD (99 times out of 100) will out-execute their opponents on the field. This is why they're always in the Top 5. I think too many critics take their lack of enjoyment of BD's shows and weigh that more heavily than the actual performance level they are witnessing.

I loved 2007 and 2008 (even though I agreed with Phantom winning in 08), but I can't stand 2009, and I've been so-so on their past two shows. It's all a matter of opinion. In my book, BD has their share of "under-rated" and "over-rated" shows, as does every other corps in the activity.

What an outstanding post!

• Like 1

Critics said the same thing about Coltrane and Davis. Most melody is nearly an involuntary reaction, filled with balance, expectation and emotional resolve (probably what you're referring to)......but some isn't.

• Like 1

I think a simple explanation to the original question is to look at what is going on in politics right now. (And please, don't go into the political thing any further because that isn't allowed on DCP...I mention it without commentary because it seems like such a close parallel.)

Why does Blue Devils receive so much attention and criticism from some? Why is Mitt Romney receiving so much attention and criticism from his opponents?

Because they've been in the lead. Because they're in front. Because others aren't. And...because they've succeeded in getting the recognition from those who count (in drum corps, the judges...in politics, the voters).

Why do those at the top get so much flack? Because there's no one higher to give it to.

Your right Mike. When you're at the top of anything there's always a target on your back.

I think a simple explanation to the original question is to look at what is going on in politics right now. (And please, don't go into the political thing any further because that isn't allowed on DCP...I mention it without commentary because it seems like such a close parallel.)

Why does Blue Devils receive so much attention and criticism from some? Why is Mitt Romney receiving so much attention and criticism from his opponents?

Because they've been in the lead. Because they're in front. Because others aren't. And...because they've succeeded in getting the recognition from those who count (in drum corps, the judges...in politics, the voters polls).

Why do those at the top get so much flack? Because there's no one higher to give it to.

Fixed. And you are correct...it's that simple. And there's no conviencing those that continue to parley that sentiment into something more sinister.

Because they've been in the lead. Because they're in front. Because others aren't. And...because they've succeeded in getting the recognition from those who count (in drum corps, the judges...in politics, the voters).

If this was true, we should have seen Phantom Regiment get a lot of flack for winning in 2008. Did they get the same level of flack as BD has since then ? When BD was winning their titles in the 70's, did they get this level of flack for winning ? Did SCV can this level of flack in 89 when they won that year ? Have the Cadets gotten a lot of flack for winning the 2011 Title since they won it ? I havn't heard this "level of flack" for The Cadets for winning this year.

I also think that it might be beneficial to separate those who give BD " flack " for their performance execution levels resulting in recent placements, and those who give BD design team " flack " for the show design and levels enjoyment for them personally. While I have no data to support this, I'd imagine the 2nd group is much larger than the 1st group. I believe most people ( that are objective ) will acknowledge that under the current scoring system BD deserved their recent placement "wins " from the judging community. Why BD tends not " to win " with many fans however is probably unrelated to placements at all in my opinion. Most fans enjoyment levels tend to be unrelated to placement. Not just with BD, but with any Corps.

Several years ago, DCI did a national survey asking fans for their favorite, most enjoyable shows of all time. More than half the top shows in the final national tally were of shows performed by Corps that did not win in the year that the show was performed. One show that finished very highly in the national survey with fans finished in 4th place with the judges at Finals in the year that the show was performed ( Madison '95 ) So I submit that BD's criticism of late is probably unrelated to its placements of late.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

If this was true, we should have seen Phantom Regiment get a lot of flack for winning in 2008. Did they get the same level of flack as BD has since then ? When BD was winning their titles in the 70's, did they get this level of flack for winning ? Did SCV can this level of flack in 89 when they won that year ? Have the Cadets gotten a lot of flack for winning the 2011 Title since they won it ? I havn't heard this "level of flack" for The Cadets for winning this year.

The level of perceived flack towards BD is due to the corps being at the top (or right next to it) for year in and year out. Regiment didn't get the same amount of flack in 2008 because the corps wasn't continuously at the very top for years and years leading into 2008. It's not the same for corps that pop into first place on occasion. I believe it's because people like variety at the top that BD has this perceived level of flack. If BD hung around the middle of finalist corps and popped to the top once in awhile, the corps might be more endearing to some. Those who are continuously at the top have a bigger target on themselves.

What we're talking about isn't single titles but long bouts of being a title contender, something Blue Devils have been very successful in doing.

And, yes, BD ended up getting much flack in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Jerry Seawright told Bill Cook he was glad Star of Indiana had come along, because they took a lot of pressure off BD. (Bill personally told me about that.)