What's with all the hate for BD

Very eloquent, Plan. You greased that pan very nicely.

But I must admit, this is not the first time you've emoted this...conviction... of yours. I felt the same way in some of our earlier exchanges.

Those of us who, even after multiple listens, still don't get that gripping emotion from BD's recent shows don't have our "receptors" closed (necessarily, I should only speak for myself). We try because you say we should. We don't get it, even though we'd love to because nobody wants to be "inferior". And, sometimes, that's the central theme of the point you make.

Love you, you know that. But just saying...

We're allowed, ya' know?

Well G, as usual my mental meanderings are taken the wrong way. I'm somehow being percieved as judging others on DCP for not finding what I find as entertaining or even worse....accuse you of being "inferior" or a neanderthal (although I have used the apes beating the monolith with sticks in "2001: A Space Odessy" before...I admit that was a bit condescending but it made me laugh :tongue: at the time when I said it.....sorry).

I'm simply suggesting that just because something is not obvious or easily recieved/understood, doesn't mean that it's crap or souless or robotic. Who else gets accused of stuff like that? Jeff suggested that the antithesis of BD of recent years were corps like "Cavis, Cadets, Crown, Phantom, even an SCV"...saying "they weren't robotic"...man, that's a differential I can't follow. There's only so much you can do with a drum corps show....and "riffing" ain't one of em'. But I respect Jeff and I'll just scratch my head on that one.

BD's problem and the reason for the vitriol surrounding 2009 & 2010 (and a bit of 2008) was the competitive impact (as others on this thread suggest as well). Had they come in 5th or 6th, the prevailing sentiment would have been "see what happens when you get too far out there!" But quite the opposite happened and the prevailing rationale is "they got historic scores strictly because they executed better than anyone, they're uber talented or (my favorite) they're clean". Nothing about design...accept in a bad way. And the reason I keep bringing it up (sorry) is I believe it's true.... and the frickin' title of the tread is.....well you know what it is! So my choice is to either say nothing or come up with something to do with solar flares! :blink:

Finally, one time I would like for a judge (pick one...they all scored BD the same) to talk about this....from a design stand point. Yes, I know Boo and Cesario had great synopisis' of both the 2009 and 2010 shows and covered a lot of ground, but a judge saying some of the things I have said might have some impact on here. You are NOT an animal! ($1 do Joseph Merrick).

• Like 1

This thread has a 'War on Christmas' feel

I like show design discussions but not with in this context

carry on

Actually, it's a discussion that's trying to describe the practically indescribable....jazz!

What's with all the hate for BD?

They play hackey sack with kittens.

• Like 1

I totally agree, sometimes the music isnt as accessible as others, but honestly its all incredibly well performed and thats what this activity is all about: maxing everything out.

They play hackey sack with kittens.

I actually participated in this ritual... we also did cat Juggling!

My link

I personally don't hate BD. Like many I don't agree with the direction they are taking there shows. From 07 and on... I haven't really been a fan. 08 I can handle sorta?? But really i'm not upset with the members marching in the show because they are marching there hearts out and executing at the highest level imaginable. To be honest its the design staff that disappoints me. Now, they are producing championship shows no doubt... i'm not going to take that away from them, but if they want to get the fans going crazy for them again... then have to produce something that can't really let the fans bash on. Last year it was the props for me. TOO MANY PROPS... the list goes on and on from 08-now.

Now of course I am sure there are TONS of BD fans that love the shows they produce. And I don't blame them, BD performs at a consistent high level and are always a safe bet for another championship win (but i'm waiting for The Cavaliers to pull another one off :thumbup: I know it'll happen sooner or later). I am still waiting to hear and see another 06 like show again. I know they can do it!!! :thumbup:

I am looking forward to BD's show announcement!!