Did this really happen?

I kept meaning to ask about this, but with my old age I keep forgetting. One of my former students who marched corps in 2000 was back over the holidays. She and her family came over to say hi. We were talking about corps, and she was telling me that on finals week in 2000, there were several members of a corps who were arrested for drugs. She said that while the corps director bailed them out, they ended up getting into uniform and sneaking onto the field at the last minute and performing with the corps anyway on finals night. I feel bad for the corps director who took responsibility for these kids, and then they disrespected him so much to do this. As a former staff member/volunteer/ and as a parent, I felt very disappointed hearing about this. Does anyone know if this really happened or is it just another drum corps myth?

I was just wondering what most of the corps current policies are if someone does get arrested during the summer, are they immediately kicked out of the corps, or does it depend on the offense? I remember back in the 80s, some kids would get caught with alcohol, and I seem to recall it usually just resulted in a lecture. In most states back then drinking age was a lot lower, and there weren't so many raids on businesses selling alcohol to minors. I think these days it is a little harder for the kids(at least the ones under 21 on tour) to get alcohol. But one thing that has changed is there are alot more members aged 21 and 22 than there used to be in top 12 corps.

• Like 1

I think one detail I forgot to mention was that the corps director after bailing them out had suspended/kicked them out of the corps. At this point they waited until everyone had left the bus, then got their uniforms and instruments, and snuck onto the field as they were warming up.

That sounds a little far-fetched to me.

I thought it sounded a little unusual, but this girl isn't the type to make things up. I am sad that the young people made these mistakes, but feel even worse that a director would bail them out, and then they would sneak behind the directors back and enter the field without permission.

I thought it sounded a little unusual, but this girl isn't the type to make things up. I am sad that the young people made these mistakes, but feel even worse that a director would bail them out, and then they would sneak behind the directors back and enter the field without permission.

No idea if it's true, but do think it's feasible.

As far as sneaking behind the Directors back....well, if this is true, this young person had already displayed that they weren't making the best decisions, so this doesn't surprise me.

I think BD had some kind of incident Finals night in 2000 regarding a member in their drumline. I think it had something to do with one of their bass drummers.

I think BD had some kind of incident Finals night in 2000 regarding a member in their drumline. I think it had something to do with one of their bass drummers.

Here's the thread on RAMD. As I recall this turned out to be true. The kid was caught, booted from the corps and the bass line spent the day re-learning their show marching 4 basses. After the on-field warmup. the kid ran out on to the field and marched his show anyway.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure that it's true. By all accounts Dave Gibbs went ballistic.

• Like 1

"Drinking In Junior Drum Corps":

Here's another one of my "Back In the Day" offerings. At one time, in the dark and distant past EIGHTEEN YEARS OF AGE was the LEGAL drinking age. New York State was one of those that allowed "18" year olds the authority to "Indulge". You didn't have to "Sneak" a drink: It was LEGAL!!!! (And you thhought the corps leadership had problems now.....)

"Individual Contests" ("I & E") held at the old Thunderbirds Post on Staten Island could get interesting. One year four junior corps hornplayers (After a few trips to the bar) went on as a drum quartet. Disqualification soon followed.

I well remember cotests at Gaelic Park in the Bronx, or shows out on Long Island and Brooklyn where the "Brewski" was available to almost anyone. Empire State Firemens Parades were also a magnet for junior corpsfolks to "Indulge" as was the "Post Parade" FREE beer garden in Garfield NJ (Prior to the Garfield Cadets show at Outwater Lane)

Speaking of the Garfield show: Does anyone remember the year (1963?) that the truck containing the fireworks for the post show display EXPLODED in the parking lot?

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 1

"Drinking In Junior Drum Corps":

Here's another one of my "Back In the Day" offerings. At one time, in the dark and distant past EIGHTEEN YEARS OF AGE was the LEGAL drinking age. New York State was one of those that allowed "18" year olds the authority to "Indulge". You didn't have to "Sneak" a drink: It was LEGAL!!!! (And you thhought the corps leadership had problems now.....)

"Individual Contests" ("I & E") held at the old Thunderbirds Post on Staten Island could get interesting. One year four junior corps hornplayers (After a few trips to the bar) went on as a drum quartet. Disqualification soon followed.

I well remember cotests at Gaelic Park in the Bronx, or shows out on Long Island and Brooklyn where the "Brewski" was available to almost anyone. Empire State Firemens Parades were also a magnet for junior corpsfolks to "Indulge" as was the "Post Parade" FREE beer garden in Garfield NJ (Prior to the Garfield Cadets show at Outwater Lane)

Speaking of the Garfield show: Does anyone remember the year (1963?) that the truck containing the fireworks for the post show display EXPLODED in the parking lot?

Elphaba

Oh boy do I remember those days. Hangin' out in the bullpen and knockin' back beers while smoking in full uniform. Man, if you ever did something like that today you'd probably be crucified.