Did this really happen?

...It is a shame when one young talented person shows that kind of lack of respect. I know alot of people have different gripes about different corps, different directors, and different shows, but to turn around and march after being sent away from the corps just blows my mind.

Wasn't smart enough not to get caught. Wasn't man enough to accept the consequences. Failed to understand that he was asking others to be complicit in his disrespect for the corps and its members. The ultimate in selfishness. No class.

HH

• Like 5

I honestly can't say, without the particulars, that the kid can be chastised for what he did. Was he the only one that broke corps rules that summer? Was he alone in his rule breaking, or did he take the heat for a few others? Was the punishment handed out not in line with the offense?

So the corps let him stay on tour, but didn't allow him to march? That confuses me to some extent, I get it that they wanted to kid to be part of the organization, but any amount of time on tour allows kids to hatch plans. And that they did. And some members of the corps helped him crash the field during finals night and march. Why didn't the corps director stop the action and have him removed? Being in the hunt for a championship is really no excuse to teach a lesson or do what you feel is morally right. I really seems that the corps director might have been the only one out of the loop on the finals night plan. Others may not have helped, but they may have turned a blind eye to the kid storming the field to march the last show. Not a slam on this corps, it could have happened to any corps out there. It seems to have been a perfect storm of some sort.

Wasn't smart enough not to get caught. Wasn't man enough to accept the consequences. Failed to understand that he was asking others to be complicit in his disrespect for the corps and its members. The ultimate in selfishness. No class.

HH

I remember hearing that there were a bunch of kids involved and the bass kid took the rap for everyone.

He should have been sent home IMMEDIATELY!!!! Greyhound bus

• Like 3

He should have been sent home IMMEDIATELY!!!! Greyhound bus

I know that the individual in question had been separated from the corps, but managed to find his way to the stadium. Basically he waited until the entire corps was off to warm up before sneaking onto the truck to get his uniform and drum. Event staff didn't think anything of the fact that a drummer was running onto the field at the last second, but the corps' staff was blindsided by his presence.

Edited by PioneerWebmaster

I remember hearing that there were a bunch of kids involved and the bass kid took the rap for everyone.

There is VERY little liklihood that he intended to be the only one blowing blue smoke. So, I don't doubt there is some truth in this. I heard about the arrest and subsequent booting shortly before the BD busses arived in the parking lot for finals that day. I don;t remember when the actual incident occured. Maybe the night before. Maybe that morning. Me and another buddy who had also marched in Scojo's SCV lines in '91 and '92 found BD in the lot and sure enough they were one base drummer short. nasty luck for the other dudes in the line.

I regret the ribbing I attempted to give Scott in the lot as that wound was, in retrospect, way too fresh. I am not even 100% sure he heard me and i don't remember exactly what I said. I can be reasonably certain it wasn't funny then. i'll bet if I heard what I said now we might giggle.

We headed in to the stadium to watch the show and...sure enough...the missing bass drummer came running onto the field. Gnarly! The line was CLEARLY hyped to see him. There was no way that Gibbs or anyone else on the staff could and should have done anything further to get him off the field at that point. It would have been a disaster had they tried as close as he was to the downbeat. They assumed they had done the responsible thing already by removing him from the corps earlier.

• Like 5

HH

I have to disagree. Wasn't smart enough not to get caught? I had a great corps director that spoke to us before tour, in essence "don't be stupid and let me catch you". That statement basically allows the behavior as long as you don't get caught. That is a double message and a cop out. It lets the administration take the easy way out, "oh they did what? I never caught them doing it so...".

Who said he asked others to help him march finals? The idea was probably hatched in the back of the bus by the whole drumline, it probably wasn't his idea. Especially as part of a bass line, that was a community decision. You might say the kid could have said "listen fellas I was kicked out fair and square and I'm gonna go by the directors decision". I would say that would be a slap in the face to the bunch drummers who he drummed with for nine months and wanted to sneak him on the field for finals.

As a monday morning quarterback with no real details of the case I can say the situation was handled poorly. It must be hard to kick a member out, but it must be harder to know that the many others didn't support your decision and went out of their way to circumvent the punishment.

• Like 1

I honestly can't say, without the particulars, that the kid can be chastised for what he did. Was he the only one that broke corps rules that summer? Was he alone in his rule breaking, or did he take the heat for a few others? Was the punishment handed out not in line with the offense?

So the corps let him stay on tour, but didn't allow him to march? That confuses me to some extent, I get it that they wanted to kid to be part of the organization, but any amount of time on tour allows kids to hatch plans. And that they did. And some members of the corps helped him crash the field during finals night and march. Why didn't the corps director stop the action and have him removed? Being in the hunt for a championship is really no excuse to teach a lesson or do what you feel is morally right. I really seems that the corps director might have been the only one out of the loop on the finals night plan. Others may not have helped, but they may have turned a blind eye to the kid storming the field to march the last show. Not a slam on this corps, it could have happened to any corps out there. It seems to have been a perfect storm of some sort.

I'll agree on the confusion/disappointment about why he wasn't sent packing. As for absolving him of his personal responsibility for what transpired, we're going to have to disagree.

You say you "honestly can't say, without the particulars, that the kid can be chastised." Well Dave Gibbs certainly thought kicking him out of the corps was appropriate. Unless you're doubting Gibb's judgment, it hardly seems there's room for discussion. He was kicked out of the corps for breaking the rules. He then decided that he was above any such punishment and appointed himself a member again. Worse, he put others in the position of having to be complicit in his subterfuge; he made them choose between being narcs or co-conspirators. He was wrong. No offense, but all the rest is rationalization of selfish misconduct - not appropriate for any corps no matter how many 21-year-olds they march.

HH

• Like 2

It's sadly very, very true. One of the bass drummers, 4 or 5, did get in trouble for drugs right before Finals week, and was "removed" from the corps, but allowed to travel still with them. At Finals, as far as I've heard, other members of the drumline took his uniform off of the truck for him, and another corps, (may have been BK, that rings in my memory) donated a drum for the night. The guy came onto the field, performed the show, then ran out of the tunnel once they were done performing. I believe that night, the hole in the ozone layer became a bit bigger just from the amount of steam and expletives coming out of Dave Gibbs. Again, all of this comes to me from stories from members who marched that year.

Whatev. badayus if you ask me, not the drugs part, but the F.U. I'm marching anyways part.

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 4