The Cadets Media

Competition, physicality, loyalty, and the need for marketing, just to name the most obvious applicable one. People have been comparing the arts to sports for various purposes for as long as there have been forums for discussion...its not perfect, but if we stuck to comparing thinks that were only very much alike, we woulnd't have much fodder for discussion. And...dcp has been pretty boring lately as is, so no need for that :sleeping:

I agree with those first things you mentioned I guess. I just kinda think that we need to focus on specifics within our activity and not others...we have historically compared it to many other things But I think were the only ones comparing us to anything other than marching band..discussion is great if something can come of it I guess.

Edited by GUARDLING

It appears the focus of the discussion is changing somewhat, so I will jump back in.

Guardling, I don't know why you are trying to funnel the Cadet's-type media approach into something more narrow. What specifics of the activity are you talking about, and what is your plan to leverage your unspecified concept into improvement of the activity's growth? What are the Cadet's media activities taking away from the DC activity? How are the Cadet's media activities focusing on the activities of others? They are not focusing on other's activities, but on their strategies and how to grow using successful strategies.

A small anecdote for what it's worth. I went to my first DC competition with my Dad when I was about 6 in the early 50s. I was a DC lover before then from parades in Newark when I was even younger than that. My Stepson and I went to our first competition together when he was 6. We went to several competitions together after that, from Beverly to Baton Rouge (he is a natural musician and has had lessons. I wish he would develop his talent more).

Kyle taught himself to play guitar and got into Scandinavian thrash metal. But he always asked me to listen to what he liked that I might like. This was not easy.

As he started hanging out with musicians, he started to recognize that the drummers were playing licks he had already heard before.

He started looking at youtube stuff of great performances and started showing DC drumming and playing to his buddies.

He tells me they find it awesome.

A Cautionary Tale (Chaucer perhaps?)

Kevin

how can the NFL be compared to drum corps. I know many here like to compare to all sorts of activities but unless Drum corps all of a sudden had millions and millions of fans around the globe...it cant be done..not even a reference...JMO

What?

They are both activities that have relatively short competitive seasons.

Some fans complain when the corps say nothing during the off season, others complain when they do.... C'est la vie

Personally I fall into the gimme more category. So in that regard cadets & the hop are the best out there just now.

You're so right. Man this is so lame. tongue.gif

Give me more information and more clips.

how can the NFL be compared to drum corps. I know many here like to compare to all sorts of activities but unless Drum corps all of a sudden had millions and millions of fans around the globe...it cant be done..not even a reference...JMO

He wasn't comparing them; he was comparing the strategy that is used to keep an activity in people's minds in the off season. There's a difference. smile.gif

It appears the focus of the discussion is changing somewhat, so I will jump back in.

Guardling, I don't know why you are trying to funnel the Cadet's-type media approach into something more narrow. What specifics of the activity are you talking about, and what is your plan to leverage your unspecified concept into improvement of the activity's growth? What are the Cadet's media activities taking away from the DC activity? How are the Cadet's media activities focusing on the activities of others? They are not focusing on other's activities, but on their strategies and how to grow using successful strategies.

A small anecdote for what it's worth. I went to my first DC competition with my Dad when I was about 6 in the early 50s. I was a DC lover before then from parades in Newark when I was even younger than that. My Stepson and I went to our first competition together when he was 6. We went to several competitions together after that, from Beverly to Baton Rouge (he is a natural musician and has had lessons. I wish he would develop his talent more).

Kyle taught himself to play guitar and got into Scandinavian thrash metal. But he always asked me to listen to what he liked that I might like. This was not easy.

As he started hanging out with musicians, he started to recognize that the drummers were playing licks he had already heard before.

He started looking at youtube stuff of great performances and started showing DC drumming and playing to his buddies.

He tells me they find it awesome.

A Cautionary Tale (Chaucer perhaps?)

Kevin

none of my comment were refering to the cadets BUT the comparison another poaster was making to ther NFL....Cadets are masters at keeing themselves in the lime light..if you like them or not.

ok...probably where the comparisons end but I can see that

the biggest events are on the weekends

they take place in football stadiums

they sell concessions

fans cheer for the action on the field

fans rise to their feet at big occasions

they travel to the stadium on buses

they warm up before the event

they have PA announcers

they play in open stadiums and domes

the biggest events are on the weekends

they take place in football stadiums

they sell concessions

fans cheer for the action on the field

fans rise to their feet at big occasions

they travel to the stadium on buses

they warm up before the event

they have PA announcers

they play in open stadiums and domes

Haha love it! :worthy:

And about the Cadets videos:

Because the Cadets have always been one of my favorite corps, the extra footage during the offseason is awesome IMO! It lets us see more and more of the hard work it took the members to get to the Championship! Seeing them out of uniform, working hard, and just running through reps like every other group I've ever been in is really cool. It kind of forms a stronger bond to the group for the fans! These sort of videos have the potential to bring more people to the auditions, resulting in a wider variety of members to pick from for the corps. I alsways found it easier to find Cadets shows. If I were to look up the Bluecoats on YouTube, I would spend maybe ten minutes trying to find a video of their finals performance. Cadets are superior in putting out extra stuff for the fans.:thumbup:

• Like 2