Old shows made new

I would not want to see SCV bring back Phantom of the Opera: it would see so cliche'/old-hat and seemingly go against what the corps stands for (being on the forefront of the activity).

Phantom Regiment, on the other hand, seems to have a knack recently for reinventing the classics, and they might make a great show out of 'New World Symphony.'

edit

*yes, I do realize what I say above seemingly contradicts what I said in another post. I do think that Phantom has found a great way to bring back classics, but for the most part other corps historically have not

I see your point. SCV hasn't successfully brought back old shows (1987 RCM to 2005), nor has Madison ('85 BiB to 2001 BiB, except that Madison did a great job with a Suncoast Sound piece Requiem from '84 music last year. The Cavaliers have a mixed bag with Planets and Firebird and Phantom have done well with Spartacus...

Edited by jjeffeory

If not exactly note-for-note transcriptions of old shows, I think there are some programs that would work quite well in a modern context. First one that comes to mind to me is the Cavaliers' Gloria from 1989. Most likely they'd add additional pieces to fill it out, but I think you could build a pretty sophisticated production around it.

Mike

• Like 1

Bring back some of the magic from 1989 - SCV bring back Phantom of the Opera and PR bring back New World Symphony.

Keep the props and the music.

Expand on the visual and add some synth sounds.

....it could be competitive again!

hmm.... I've got a feeling....

If not exactly note-for-note transcriptions of old shows, I think there are some programs that would work quite well in a modern context. First one that comes to mind to me is the Cavaliers' Gloria from 1989. Most likely they'd add additional pieces to fill it out, but I think you could build a pretty sophisticated production around it.

Mike

Oh yeah. How about an entire Rutter show?

Heck, make them do the drill and guard work too.

If you van find any current guard members that have even heard of, let alone know, the Manual of Arms...

Find me an old school drum corps color guard that ACTUALLY knows a 14 count Manual of Arms (15 count for those drilling under FM3-21.5). Seriously. Because those guards? They weren't doing military drill.

These shows would be sweet made over entirely for modern time.

Phantom 89, 96

BD 86, 93

Madison 88, 93, 99

SCV 89, 99

Crossmen 92, 98

I'm not typically a big fan of corps trying to relive or, worse still, "reinvent" their classics. Sometimes it works out, more often it's a disaster. Corps should try to create new classics.

Something I wouldn't mind so much is going back to shows that, while good ideas, didn't quite work out the first time around. Phantom's Romeo and Juliet show in 1988 was okay, but wasn't all it could have been . . . which is why I was happy to hear they were returning to that theme, even if they didn't use any of the Tchaikovsky.

• Like 4

I'll only include shows that I feel are old enough to warrant a makeover, who placed a little lower the first time and could be redone and improved upon, or I think people would really enjoy a repeat of. Most of the shows I pick will be from before 2000, not because I do not like the newer shows, it's just that I don't really consider them "old" shows that would really benefit from modernization. thumbup.gif

Some of the great shows have already been redone ( Spartacus, The Planets), so I won't put them on my list.

Someone should really jump on the music of Star '90 - Belshazzar's Feast

Star '88 - Porgy and Bess

SCV '93 - A Walton Trilogy

SCV '00 - The Age of Reverence

Blue Knights '90 - Chichester Psalms * Offertory (from Mass) * I Go On (from Mass) * Sanctus (from Bernstein's Mass) * Agnus Dei (from Bernstein's Mass)

Blue Devils '88 Happy Days Are Here Again * Old Black Magic * Goodbye Yesterday * Since I Fell For You

Blue Devils '91 - Conversations in Jazz - Commencement (from Adventures in Time) * Bird and Bela in B Flat (2nd Movement) * Bird and Bela in B Flat (3rd Movement)

Blue Devils '93 - A Don Ellis Portrait - Open Wide * Great Divide * Chain Reaction * Strawberry Soup*Niner-Two

Bluecoats '87 - Bye Bye Blues * Autumn Leaves * Body and Soul

Bluecoats '89 - Johnny One Note (from Babes in Arms) * My Funny Valentine (from Babes in Arms) *Sing Sing Sing

Madison Scouts '86 - Alex's Rag * Harlem Suite * Starlight Express

Madison Scouts '91 or '92 - City of Angels

The Cadets '89 - Les Miserables

The Cadets '92 - To Tame the Perilous Skies

The Cavaliers '87 - Festival Variations * Variations on a Korean Folk Song * Liturgical Dances

The Cavaliers '89 - Gloria - Andante and Allegro Vivace * Images Diabolique * Gloria - Vivace E Ritmico

Spirit of Atlanta '85 - Piano Concerto in F

Spirit of Atlanta '80 - Georgia on My Mind * Old Man River (from Showboat) * Devil Went Down to Georgia *Sweet Georgia Brown (from Bubbling Brown Sugar) * Let It Be Me

Spirit of Atlanta '84 - Porgy and Bess Overture - There's a Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon for New York (from Porgy and Bess) * It Ain't Necessarily So (from Porgy and Bess) * Blues in the Night * No One Together *I Loves You Porgy (from Porgy and Bess) * Bess, You Is My Woman Now (from Porgy and Bess)

Phantom Regiment '85 - Symphonie Fantastique

Phantom Regiment '87 - Swan Lake * Nutcracker Suite Highlights

Phantom Regiment '89- New World Symphony - 1st Movement (from Symphony No. 9) * 2nd Movement (from Symphony No. 9) *Slavonic Dances No. 1 * 4th Movement (from Symphony No. 9)

Phantom Regiment '91 - Phantom Voices - Nessun Dorma (from Turandot) * Pagliacci * Bacchanale (from Samson and Delilah)

Crossmen '92 - Songs for the Planet Earth - Begin, Sweet World * Appalachian Morning * The Four Elements *The Rain Forest * Under the Sun

Crossmen '98 - The Music of Pat Metheny - Third Wind * Letter From Home * First Circle

Boston Crusaders '92 - Pictures at an Exhibition - Promenade (from Pictures at an Exhibition) * Hut of Baba-Yaga (from Pictures at an Exhibition) * Tuileries (From Pictures at an Exhibition) * Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks (From Pictures at an Exhibition) * The Old Castle (From Pictures at an Exhibition) * Market Place at Limoges (from Pictures at an Exhibition) * Great Gate of Kiev (from Pictures at an Exhibition)

Boston Crusaders '98 - Seascapes: From the Big Screen - The Sea Hawk * Captain from Castile * Conquest (from Captain From Castile)

Crown '91 - Music of Prokofiev - Piano Concerto No. 3 * March Opus 99 * Troika (from Lieutenant Kije Suite) * Alexander Nevsky * Ivan the Terrible

Crown '93 - Aztec Dance (from La Fiesta Mexicana) * Mass (from La Fiesta Mexicana) * Carnival (from La Fiesta Mexicana)

Anyway, I could add more shows from other corps, but I think this is a good list of old shows that should be made new again with the current talent level of each corps. Looks like Phantom is going to give me one of my wishes by reusing Nessun Dorma from their '91 show. thumbup.gif

Edited by jjeffeory