Rookie Auditions

So I recently become incredibly passionate about drum corps and am incredibly interested in auditioning for the 2013 season, I just began the process to late to audition this year. But being as I have no experience what so ever I have several questions and apprehensions about auditioning. The two corps I am most interested in and plan on auditioning for are the Blue Knights and the Madison Scouts, high hopes for a rookie I know. Currently Im a senior in high school from Arlington, Texas and am going to be a music ed major in the fall, I consider myself a strong trombone player(all region and all that), a decent marcher, not too bad but not to great. I have already begun to learn baritone and am working out daily to prepare but I am sure more is needed which is why I'm looking for guidance. I know it can be difficult for rookies to march in a top ten corps their first time, but i know its not unheard of, but realistically what are my chances considering what factors i have going for me and that i am a very hard worker and willing to do what ever i can to march. So any guidance i can get I would really appreciate it, thanks!

You can definitely still land a spot for the upcoming season at lots of different corps including finalists. If you want to give it a shot then send some emails to caption heads and baritone techs. Two options you may not have considered are the Crossmen and the Troopers. Sure they aren't perennial finalists right now but they are two great corps with long histories of success, not to mention being fan favorites! You would have an outstanding experience at either one! Both hold their camps only a few hours of driving from you. I would imagine there are still spots available at either one and they won't expect you to come in playing perfectly since you are still learning to play with valves. Give it a shot!! :smile:

• Like 3

being a hard worker has some to do with it, being a good musician, and being in decent physical shape as well but in the end drum corps is a mind game. its as simple as that. most world class staffs can turn a mediocre player or marcher into someone of world class caliber.

anyone can have the crap kicked out of them, figuratively (most of the time), at a rehearsal but its not about if you can take the beating or not, its how you deal with that beating and get up and be ready for it again the next rep/block/day then go to bed wake up and do it all again, usually about 30days in a row for a typical drum corps move-ins/everydays period.

• Like 3

Last I heard, Madison still had openings and their camp on 2/17-19 is in the Dallas area. Sounds like you should go check it out.

http://madisonscouts.org/Madison_Scouts/Auditions_Overview.html

This. ^^^ Even if you're not ready to march his year, going to a camp will give you great insight into what you need to do to prepare for next year.

• Like 2

And if you don't make your dream corps, keep your mind open to other corps for 2012. If march somewhere else, that's good experience for the next season(s). LOL, marched with a couple of future DCI members when they were with non-DCI corps (All-Age and Alumni).....

As "noneofyourbusiness" noted above the Scouts have a camp next month within a half hour of Arlington. Even if you don't go to audition if you want to see how the Scouts run things, get a vibe of the corps etc. go check them out. If you can afford it then I'd say sign up to audition - you'll learn more in that weekend than you can imagine. The worst that can happen is you're right back where you are now but you'll have a list of things they will give you to work on so you'll be ready in 2013. You're right to start now rather than waiting 'til you're 20 or 21 like so many do now days and then regret that they only were able to march for a year or two. Best of luck.

Edited by bass5
  • Like 1

A big factor is your confidence level, personality, and how personable you are. (Im sure you know playing ability and listening are also huge factors). You're going to be spending the summer with these people, so personality is huge. Oh, attitude is a pretty big factor as well. Hope this helped!

Edited by Pipifer