NEW DCI Board of Directors

44 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I am not sure I follow and do not believe I have walked back anything. They told members and parents in an email they same time they notified the press which circulated the story widely. What people did they miss?

Oh, I see now.  "How about this, corps that have suspended staff during this season let certain people know why let the press tell people why".  Do I have that correct now?

Boy, this is confusing.  Now you are suggesting it is best to let the press spill the details, as long as the corps gets their limited press release out first.  But if DCI did that, you would say that makes it look like they are hiding something.

33 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, I see now.  "How about this, corps that have suspended staff during this season let certain people know why let the press tell people why".  Do I have that correct now?

Boy, this is confusing.  Now you are suggesting it is best to let the press spill the details, as long as the corps gets their limited press release out first.  But if DCI did that, you would say that makes it look like they are hiding something.

You are confusing yourself. I said "How about this, corps that have suspended staff during this season let people know why." YEA told "people" including members and parents and staff (which are the "people' who should be told first and foremost" as well as the press (which should be next since... well... given recent events it is important to get your own story out with your handling of it instead of having a reporter have to drag it out of you since that is how people act when they have something to hide) and included in their announcement the reason why. Again... I did not say "certain" and I did not say "tell the press." I said to "let people know" which is short for being public about the reasons instead of "passing the trash" and allowing someone who is now known to have an issue the chance pop up with another group (which is what we are now seeing in multiple organizations). Parse all you want. YEA did the proper thing... a strategy others cold learn from. Oh... and the reporters gave them kudos for being TRANSPARENT, and showing HONESTY and GRACE. 

Regarding DCI... it would be great if they would follow what YEA has done for stories that relate specifically to them (preferably on the first try). As others have pointed out they are following a different strategy. Time will tell of this is the correct one or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

You are confusing yourself. I said "How about this, corps that have suspended staff during this season let people know why." YEA told "people" including members and parents and staff (which are the "people' who should be told first and foremost" as well as the press (which should be next since... well... given recent events it is important to get your own story out with your handling of it instead of having a reporter have to drag it out of you since that is how people act when they have something to hide) and included in their announcement the reason why. Again... I did not say "certain" and I did not say "tell the press." I said to "let people know" which is short for being public about the reasons instead of "passing the trash" and allowing someone who is now known to have an issue the chance pop up with another group (which is what we are now seeing in multiple organizations). Parse all you want. YEA did the proper thing... a strategy others cold learn from. Oh... and the reporters gave them kudos for being TRANSPARENT, and showing HONESTY and GRACE. 

Regarding DCI... it would be great if they would follow what YEA has done for stories that relate specifically to them (preferably on the first try). As others have pointed out they are following a different strategy. Time will tell of this is the correct one or not.

Okay, so it is "let certain people know why, then get the press to tell everyone else why".  That is a valid strategy, if you can get to the truth before the press does.

I am glad you are not doing YEA! public relations, though.  They cannot afford so many clarifications and corrections.

45 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I am glad you are not doing YEA! public relations, though

Not arguing with your post totally agree. YEA at least gets it right, jumps on things fast. Puts their best foot forward. Takes the heat and moves on. Why because they are in charge of themselves and other corps are in charge of themselves. Others may handle things differently interrupt common rules & regs differently.

That leaves the door open to a lot of differences some backfire and affects the entire org. Cadets image suffers from the overall image of dci. Why because of a lack of oversight driving any standards deep into the corps. YEA PR is only as good as Pioneer PR was in the bigger picture.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Okay, so it is "let certain people know why, then get the press to tell everyone else why".  That is a valid strategy, if you can get to the truth before the press does.

I am glad you are not doing YEA! public relations, though.  They cannot afford so many clarifications and corrections.

I have not clarified anything. I stand by the original comments. You, yourself were the one trying to parse it into something not there.

Where I do agree with you is... I am glad I am not doing YEA public relations either. For one... I am not qualified (but I have hired first rate PR teams who have taught me about appropriate strategies). Second... they have a GREAT PR agency who has done exceptional work with them and they have been a great client to follow the advice. 

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

That leaves the door open to a lot of differences some backfire and affects the entire org. Cadets image suffers from the overall image of dci. Why because of a lack of oversight driving any standards deep into the corps. YEA PR is only as good as Pioneer PR was in the bigger picture.

Agree.

6 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

why do they have to tell the world at large? Ever been fired from a job? Did your company issue a press release stating so to the media?

Same thing here. Remember, you also have some privacy issues at play here. Staff get fired for lots of things, not just issues such as these....do the corps need to issue a press release for every firing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

why do they have to tell the world at large? Ever been fired from a job? Did your company issue a press release stating so to the media?

Same thing here. Remember, you also have some privacy issues at play here. Staff get fired for lots of things, not just issues such as these....do the corps need to issue a press release for every firing?

It would depend on what they were fired for. And usually when things like that do happen, the terms are rather inexact why, though individuals familiar with the organization can usually out two and two together.