THE WOW FACTOR

With the evolution of modern Drum Corps shows ,and all the "over the top" effects that are included in them ,I thought maybe it would be interesting to go back in time to the beginning of our hobby ,and reminise about some single moments in the "GOLDEN YEARS" that stood out in our memories.The" WOW FACTOR". It could have been just one note ...like Reilly's High "G " in Irish Eyes. The Yankee Rebels 'stripper"...Just about anything that PEPE from NY played or 'performed" on the field. The concert ending of STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER from St. Kevin's .Reilly's classic "head /chopper" move.the Cab's concert with Jimmy D'amico and Don Angelica wailing away in the early 60s.Kevin's color pre intro to 'SEA HAWK".and their stratisferic soprano ending at the finish line NY'sTommy Martin's effortless playing of the most famous 4 notes in drum corps history.27s rifle line.The lightning storm that simultaniously occured when the Hurcs played ''Stormy Weather " at a show.i could go on and on...but lets see how long we can keep this going..Once again any memory is allowed ,as simple or brief as it was ,as long as it brought the" WOW" response from the crowd.

McCormick Place, 1965 VFW Nationals...some say the greatest drum corps show of all time (Gail Royer, for one)...one rip-roaring performance after another...one moment stands out, right in the middle of the pack...St. Mary's Cardinals with their massive company front wheel beforwe the push in "Heat Wave"...the Enoch Light arrangement, full of intensity and dazzling articulation...and a spot on, straight as an arrow front, whipping around as the audience went totally wild in the moment.

The Cardinals were not likely to win that show, not in that company at that time, but believe me, nobody but nobody ever provided a bigger "wow" moment, before or since.

1958 Dream, Garfield Cadets in their white bermuda's and Aussie hats, concert of "And The Angels Sing" and Don Angelica playing the solo with single and triple tonguing ala Bunny Berrigan on a soprano with one valve and a slide! No rotors at that time.

Some folks could really wail on those old pieces of tin back then!

Definitely a "WOW" moment.

1958 Dream, Garfield Cadets in their white bermuda's and Aussie hats, concert of "And The Angels Sing" and Don Angelica playing the solo with single and triple tonguing ala Bunny Berrigan on a soprano with one valve and a slide! No rotors at that time.

Some of my favorite solo "going off the field exit" moments.Bill Pusey with Blessed Sacrament with his beautiful "Free Again" MARCHING BACKWARDS NO LESS!!! That memorable soprano from Garfield playing "MARIA" in the early 60's... the Cabs soprano feature in 'Evita' ....And of course Sir Thomas Martin from my beloved SKYLINERS with his incredible triple tongue embellishment of "Little Old New York " as the corps marched off to Hy's masterpiece. Ta ta Ka ta,,,,,

1971 Blue Rock... and their "wheel over the finish line" visual move in the "Requiem for the Masses" exit. Stunningly effective.

1992 Bushwackers prelims performance, Enough said.

More than just a moment. An entire "WOW" performance.

Man...I'll never forget sitting next to Ed Cagney that day, the two of us watching that Bushwacker performance, mesmerized the entire time.

When it was finished, we both looked at each other with a "what just happened here????" look. (This after we had picked our jaws up off the ground, of course! LOL)

• Like 1

For me, as a young guy with Ohio Brass Factory at DCA FINALS IN 1980, The Matadors! The entire show! That ramp and those megaphones! First time I ever heard triple tounging. How the heck do you do that? And just what is circular breathing? Couldn't take your eyes off that show,or you would miss something! :thumbup:

1992 Bushwackers prelims performance, Enough said.

not just a moment.....a memory for the ages. i so need that on video.

I have to agree, Ray. I saw/heard them do that tune at the '57 A.L. Nationals in Atlantic City. My first words afterwards were not "WOW", but rather "HOLY S**T!!!!"

The Blue Devils company front charging the stands from the 5 to the 5 yard line with an incredable wall of sound.Bridgemen soprano line triple tongue feature ala Gus Wilke The disappearing Phantom of the Opera trick at the finale of SCV 's show.....Casper Trooper's exploding circle...and their 0 to 50 yard line company front ...straight as an arrow.Sky's Butch Anderson's limo entrance to the Dream contest.....drove chief judge Kelly crazy. The Matador's megaphone trio in ROCKY.Richie Price hitting notes that only dogs could hear....before it became run of the mill.and so on and so on !!!

Always loved St Lucy's 69 opener El Conquistador with Manny's sop bugle call with a neat bend to start the show...with the full "BLAM!!!" tutti ( a highly technical term, of course! :tongue: ) as the corps charged off the line.